This Could Upset The Applecart

kfurbank

Just now, vanessan said:

I am sure that many of the hire boats that block use of the electric posts have no idea what they are actually used for. The vast majority of folk are quite considerate and would probably move up/along if asked nicely, assuming there was a space of course!

And the vast majority of users of the electric posts have no idea what they were actually intended for !

• Like 3

Just now, Poppy said:

And the vast majority of users of the electric posts have no idea what they were actually intended for !

I wouldn't disagree with that statement but, despite the original intention being a great idea, it never happened. In all the years I have used the posts, or been moored near one, I have never yet seen (to my knowledge anyway) an electric boat plugged in to one. I am sure they do on the odd occasion but, as I understand it, it didn't become the 'norm' they hoped for. Instead we lucky private boaters make use of them so at least they don't go to waste. I guess I probably need this :hardhat: on now! 

• Like 2

I well remember the original push to encourage electric boats. A number of electric boats came down to Oulton Broad, including the BA's own trip boat, the Ra. Oulton Broad lays on an East/West orientation so the prevailing Westerly wind blows from one end to the other as it did on that day, and not very hard either. Ra was going one way a treat, the other way and she had to be towed by a conventional boat. Other electric boats weren't faring much better either. Various yard owners had turned up to what turned out to be a laughable demonstration as to why electric boats didn't, at that time, have a future. Due to grants several wherry yachts had electric engines fitted, and very good they were too,  but it soon became clear that generators were needed. Vanessan is quite correct, a great idea but's it's never happened. Granted that the posts aren't being wasted by the new generation of boats, just a pity that they are becoming increasingly , even totally dependent on them.

• Like 3

I remember at the summer meet last year we had connected up to the post with a 3 way splitter, when we left early next morning we plugged the other forum boat back in, but left the private boat that had hooked up to the third leg of the splitter without power as he hadnt asked to share the point.

4 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

To be slightly contentious while I have seen several moorings with electric points I have yet to see an electric point that has a mooring unlike car charging points that have designated bays.

Fred

I have a sneaking suspicion that if you did there would a something of a peasant's revolt! As has been said we all contribute via our tolls or hire fees to the cost of moorings. That said I can see a commercial operation offering premium priced moorings that include all services, priced to exclude those of us who steer clear of such frivolities and excesses;)!

• Like 2

We were on an ''electric'' boat last year (Brinks Rhapsody) and while all the gadgets and electric cooking were brilliant, you still had a generator for the batteries.

Just think of the exhaust output and noise from a diesel engine at idle on a mooring and put that up against a generator at 1500 to 2000 rpm.  

• Like 2

Eric, Good Morning from Sunny Gt Hockham!

Friday Girl is an ex BB Alpha 35 and is all electric. Her genny does indeed run at 1500 rpm to give the 50 Hz (or cps) needed at 230V.

But she has an underwater exhaust and extensive sound proofing which means you can hardly hear more than a burble a couple of yards away.

• Like 4

As a society we waste energy by powering appliances that we really don't need, most especially lighting. I only have to look out of my bedroom window in the early hours to see wholly unnecessary 'security' lights glaring out. In one case there was actually a planning restriction regarding light pollution and the local authorities became involved. Now my wife knows the lady concerned, she hates the darkness! We really need to wean ourselves off power use/wastage, the off switch is there for a reason! On a boat that 'off switch' is even more important but what do we do? Rather than turn off we demand and tie ourselves to bankside power points. Well, many of you good folk in motor boats do ;)!  Re educating ourselves might be a good start.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Hockham Admiral said:

Eric, Good Morning from Sunny Gt Hockham!

Friday Girl is an ex BB Alpha 35 and is all electric. Her genny does indeed run at 1500 rpm to give the 50 Hz (or cps) needed at 230V.

But she has an underwater exhaust and extensive sound proofing which means you can hardly hear more than a burble a couple of yards away.

Underwater exhausts, imagine being a fish!

• Like 4

I remember Barnes having an exhaust system on some of there boats where the water was separated from the gas near the exit and the water was disposed off under the boat and the gas just above the waterline. This meant very little noise and none of that annoying gurgling and splashing of water. But I've never heard of a system depositing both directly into the water? Is that even allowed from a pollution point of view? I guess even with traditional exhausts there must be some mixing of water with the gas which ultimately ends up in the water, but sending the whole lot straight into the water? 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, kfurbank said:

I guess even with traditional exhausts there must be some mixing of water with the gas which ultimately ends up in the water, but sending the whole lot straight into the water? 

Isn't that exactly what a Z-drive, or an out-board motor, does anyway?

• Like 3

On 08/02/2017 at 10:20 AM, deebee29 said:

Ah yes I remember the days when the term dipstick referred to a notched wooden stick to check your fuel level and not some inconsiderate boater :naughty:

We have the old dipstick because our boat (Sweet Kingfisher) was once Barnes Brinkscraft and before that the French Canals. We have used the dipstick in the early days of ownership, but we have got to know her, but we have keep the dipstick sitting on the side (just in case it is needed) :clap.

Regards

Marina :Stinky

• Like 3

Maybe I don't shout about this enough.....

Freedom has always done All-IN prices. Our formula has never changed since the company began. We are now in our 9th season. 

I take exception to headline prices that rise the moment you express an interest. Add on fuel costs and waivers and suddenly the bargain is inflated for £100 or more. Really? I don't like it happening to me, so I won't do it to our customers. 

The first price you see having searched for a Freedom holiday on our web site is the price you pay. If you choose optional extras, clearly, they are charged separately. Additionally, the prices show the holiday with the fuel deposit, so most customers go home with a fuel deposit refund too. 

In addition, Freedom will offer you any day starts and any day ends. None of these regimented Monday to Friday, Friday to Monday short breaks. Can only holiday from  Tuesday to Thursday? Fine. Saturday to Wednesday? Sure. Friday to Sunday? A common request. 

I wish Ryan and his team at Acle every success. We need more yards, not fewer. 

• Like 14