Hi All From 'sunny' Brighton

JamesLV

Hi everyone,

Just a brief introduction, I'm already a member at the other place, but I thought I'd join up here, knowledge is power et al.

I'm James, been on the broads twice before in a former life, once on Brinks Sonata (too small for a week, with two people and a dog, ask me how I know...) and once on Fair Jubilee (a beautiful craft, perfect for two people and a dog).

My partner (Emma), my dog (Jangles, a Patterdale terrier) and I have booked Brinks Omega for the first week of October this year and I literally can't wait. Ems has never been on the broads before, or a boat (aside from a small rowing boat at my dads place, and a ferry) likewise the dog (he hasn't been on a ferry though). Brinks, thus far have been nothing but helpful, so full credit to them, very flexible with regards to payments.

Not sure of a plan at all at the moment, love the Ant, but dubious about Ludham bridge in an 8'6" boat when the tide times are rubbish (v. early morning and later afternoons), so may take myself out the comfort zone and go South, never done that before.

Anyway, less brief than planned, but now you all know a bit more about us. Attached is a picture of Ems and the hound, you don't need one of me on a restful Sunday afternoon.

Have a good one!

James, Ems and Jangles

1525161_10155214071305195_1334774953835957357_n.jpeg

• Like 5

Jangles looks to be a cutie pie, dont forget to ask for a doggie lifejacket, or if they dont have a suitable one make sure you bring one yourself. they are essential to lift a dog back into the boat - make sure it has a decent handle on the back, strong enough to pick Jangles up with.

Welcome to the forum guys, nice to have you here. The other place...ah you mean Hove?:naughty: 

I would second Grendel with the lifejacket for Jangles...I would also recommend dog bowls that are wider on the bottom for stability...I can't count the number of times I've tripped over the beagles water bowls and knocked myself even more stupid when I fall over and back my head. I also take one of those 'tie out stakes' with me so I can fasten the boys onto the bank when I'm having a sweep through and mop of the cabin floors.

Word of warning re cute dogs...make sure you do the morning scratch and yawn before heading out on deck...I regularly fall foul of early morning photographers taking pictures or video footage of the hounds only to catch me on the first roll up, coffee, yawn and scratch...not pleasant!:blink:

• Like 1

:welcome: from me.

My view changes depending on my moods lol... So having just had a brill weekend up on the boat. I would say don't plan anything I think.. just go with the flow.. The southern broads are amazing but they are so far away if you are picking up from wroxham.. and there are places up north just as amazing. I'm now along the lines of just stay local if you are up north stay north.. if south stay there as it's a lot of running about and a bit of a waste. 

Regarding Ludham.. 8.6 is pushing it really.. you should be ok in the summer when there's no storms.. but we have it as low as like 7.6 out of season so certainly nothing is guaranteed but most of the time it should be ok.. enjoy

• Like 2

Wow, thank you all for such a warm welcome, fear not, the pup has a dfd (doggie floatation device), he's not the best of swimmers and often gets his ability confused with his ambition...

Also, thank you for the info ref. North/South, and thank you also for the boat info, I've watched Robin's video enough times I suspect i know Omega better than our own house!

I'm sure I'll be asking some daft questions before long.

I hope you've all had a fantastic weekend, and have a pleasant week.

J, E and J

image.png

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Timbo said:

Welcome to the forum guys, nice to have you here. The other place...ah you mean Hove?:naughty: 

I'm actually from a small village over the big hill from Brighton, but 99% of folk wouldn't know where it is, hence I go with Brighton, sorry, Brighton and Hove!

;)

• Like 1

Oh I don't mind James...as a lifelong Newcastle fan and a tenner of the outcome of the Newcastle Brighton match I'm hoping Brighton really is 'over the hill' :naughty: but knowing Rafa he will have done the usual 'rotation' of the team...with the Dog & Duck 2nd Eleven over 60's! If you see a mad idiot with two beagles in tow give us a wave or better still pop on board for for a drink!

• Like 1

Grendel, you're close, but slightly further west, we're in Ditchling if you know it?

Timbo, we'll be sure to say hello if we see you, though I suspect you'll more than likely hear or see us first, we'll be the ones trying to disguise Cerberus (Jangles) as a decent well behaved dog to gain entry to a pub....

• Like 2

11 hours ago, JawsOrca said:

The southern broads are amazing but they are so far away if you are picking up from wroxham.. and there are places up north just as amazing. I'm now along the lines of just stay local if you are up north stay north.. if south stay there as it's a lot of running about and a bit of a waste. 

This is exactly what we have done so far to make the most of the time we have up there. But with there being less hireboats based on the southern side now ... and us being a bit fussy about what meets our requirements (!) ... we may well look to take  a ten night holiday and go over Breydon at some point. After watching so many videos of other people doing it, it doesn't feel quite as daunting as it used to. Wide open spaces are not my favourite places on the boat - I get a bit panicked if I feel like I don't know where I'm supposed to go ... so if the upper Ant wasn't so beautiful I might never have crossed Barton Broad either! 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Jonzo said:

Welcome aboard James! 

Nice part of the world where you're from - We've got family in Hassocks and have walked to the White Horse in Ditchling for lunch.

Know the White Horse very well, I'm very close to the other Pub, which incidentally was awarded 'Best Pub in England' last year at some awards or other.

Know Hassocks well too, a very close friend runs the coffee kiosk at the station there.

It is indeed a lovely part of the country, we're quite lucky to live here, I've been lucky enough to live in the East Sussex Downland villages since I was 4 or so (born in North Devon) and I actually went to school in the village despite not living here at the time.

I suspect there would be at least one or two people we knew in common from Hassocks, it's not the biggest place!

11 hours ago, Hockham Admiral said:

A warm welcome aboard the goodship NBN from us, James, Ems and Jangles!     cheersbar

Thank you guys, a very very warm welcome here!

• Like 1