Annual Moorings

timh

Hi, we're currently moored at Brundall but as much as we like it there, we are looking for new moorings elsewhere. Being relative newbies and only having owned our boat (23ft cabin cruiser) since november '16, we would like to explore some different parts and go up north for a season at least.I know it can get busy, but its gotta be done sometime, and the reduced tidal influence compared to the South, will also help us get more competant/confident!

Can anyone recommend any marinas that definately have mooring availability? (had a few negative replies to e-mails even though we were told from other boat owners that there were spaces!!) Unfortunately we live 180 miles away and are mainly limited to weekends, so popping up for a quick drive round and look is a bit difficult. We thought we'd found somewhere and provisionally booked, but things don't seem to be going to plan there so now we're in a bit of a panic to find an alternative!

Our main crieria are side on/or stern with finger, toilets, electric hook up, showers in that order. Oops, nearly forgot a pub nearby would be near the top of the list too, just for somewhere to go to warm up in the winter mind! Honest!!! And if I'm not already asking too much, then the cheaper the better!! Thanks

• Like 2

Hello and welcome. Ferry marina at horning fits all of your requirements to the letter. The downside is that they really are not cheap  but I believe do have space. Do recommend their workshop though, they did about 4k's worth of work for me last year and have to admit that i was 110 percent delighted with their work and prices.

Hope this is of some help

Good luck with your search and please let us all know how you get on.

cheers

Trev

• Like 1

It really is worth booking accommodation for a couple of nights and visiting Horning, Stalham, Potter, Wayford etc. I have always found the face to face approach is best. It also lets you see what you are parting with a considerable amount of money for. You can also see the state of repair of the moorings, is the ground clean or wet and muddy, how far will the car be from your mooring. What are the toilets like etc etc. You will be paying in the region of £45 per foot so a grand at least, I would want to see what I am getting for that type of money.

• Like 3

Not much to add, apart from you need to get a shift on! as everyone will be looking for new moorings about now, and it will also depend on what facility's you want, places like Richo,s have it all as does Broadsedge, showers, toilets, electric, pump outs, Richo's also has diesel, I've moored on the Ant for many years and wouldn't go anywhere else, it is a bit of a trek to the main river, but it's a really nice run, we often don't make it as far as the main river because there are quite a few places to moor on the way,  

2 hours ago, C.Ricko said:

we have one mooring which would be suitable in Horning Marina , side on. 

£63 fer foot per year inc VAT. 

if you don't like it we will refund any unused months 

You cannot say fairer than that!   

Great offer well done ricko's! 

• Like 2

Try porter and haylet yard above Wroxham bridge, no hook-up unfortunately, but toilets and showers, stern on, loads of spaces and was under a grand for us with a 30 footer! So cheap, and if you've got around 6-7 ft airdraft no prob with the bridge

3 hours ago, C.Ricko said:

we have one mooring which would be suitable in Horning Marina , side on. 

£63 fer foot per year inc VAT. 

if you don't like it we will refund any unused months 

In forty plus years of boating I have never seen any marina offer a refund on unused months. Great offer especially for the location.

• Like 3

we have offered that for about 4 years now, it would make life a lot easier if some other marinas did too as all our accounting years are different and it has made some moorers forfeit 5 or so months morrings to come to us which is a bit much.. 

• Like 5

That must be a unique thing you are offering there and a great incentive in my opinion. 

A few years ago we moored at an expensive southern yard, we were there a few years and eventually got anoid with the constant jockeying for space on our particular riverside section of 4 side on moorings.  Anyway, we moved on in a November knowing our mooring ran till the end of the following march.  We knew we wouldnt get a refund as we agreed to the original mooring terms however we were incredibly miffed to find another boat was put in our spot a few weeks after we vacated! 

But it is very comforting to know there are still some businesses around prepared to act in the better interest of its customers!

• Like 5

To be fair, The Waveney River Centre gave me a 6 month refund when I moved on, and even better if you arrive at AYB part way through the year then you get progressively larger discounts on the remainder of the year. I think I paid 40% of the annual mooring fee for 6 months.

Good offer from Clive though. 

• Like 2

Many thanks for all your comments,  but thankfully we have found a mooring at the Vintage boat co at Wayford. It has everything we want, and Alice sounds really nice and more importantly, seems to care about the people and the boats on her site.

Some may question us securing the mooring without a full visit, but I have been past and moored the other side of the bridge on our last visit albeit a long while ago, and after extensive tinternet research, it seems perfect for us. Full visit next weekend as we cant get before, so hopefully we won't be disappointed? At the end of the day, we haven't got much to compare against so will probably be happy anywhere (well almost!). Price was reasonable too.

cheers all

• Like 3

• 3 years later...

Hi there, I'm looking to live on a boat in 2 months.  I need to prepare a mooring as well and noticed that you wish to leave brundall.  I live in brundall and it is the nearest place on the broads to my work.  Would there be anyway we could organize for me to replace you at your current mooring.  Also how much do you pay for it?

Kindest regards 

Luke Power

• Like 1

Luke, unfortunately you have fallen foul of old outdated post syndrome aka oops!

Welcome to the forum and why not start a new thread so we can all say Hi and let you know if anyone has some helpful current info about moorings 👍