Salhouse To Get New Tearoom,

JennyMorgan

Just now, Polly said:

About 20 minutes walk or thereabouts, I think. It's up to the loos and car park then left onto the lane for a couple of hundred yards or so.

In that case, not that I know the area in any great detail, I really don't know what the fuss was all about. I wonder what the appeal cost the BA?

Well I would guess that it's not cost the BA much. It will probably cost the village some tourist income as folk are going to go there instead of turning right for a longer walk into the village. I really wonder, though, whether the tearoom will be viable out of season.

I rather suspect that the 'officer' time involved in preparing and defending the BA's decision was a pound or five more than not much but that aside it is yet another dent to their record.

Will the tea-room be viable out of season, indeed will it be open out of season?

That said Lyn & I went out to the garden-centre at Lound today, a few miles out of town and definitely not on the main drag. The weather was awful, no one was buying plants, except us, but the cafe was doing a roaring trade, and very good it was too. If the tea-room gets it right then who knows. 

9 hours ago, Polly said:

Well I would guess that it's not cost the BA much. It will probably cost the village some tourist income as folk are going to go there instead of turning right for a longer walk into the village. I really wonder, though, whether the tearoom will be viable out of season.

I suppose this was the objection of other businesses. When you own the property, no mortgage, no loans etc. Probably enough staff already employed by the estate to take turns manning the urn. How viable do you have to be? They have already pocketed the mooring money. They have Camping, canoe hire so a captive set of punters.

I remember reading somewhere that Salhouse Broad is run as a commercial entity, separate from the main estate only in as much as it must cover it's direct costs and conservation work.

The Authority is in something of a cleft stick, it has to satisfy the tick-box planning guidelines as well as local opinion and my guess is that they backed the wrong horse. In my experience they do try to avoid the potential costs of an appeal, especially when up against men with money.

3 hours ago, marshman said:

Not thast i know the details, but difficult to see any reason why it was refused??? Other local businesses not a reason IMHO!!

I agree, competition should not be a reason to turn down planning.

I think that a tearoom near the car park will be a great addition. It's quite a walk from where you moor just to get up to the road. Not everyone is fit and mobile enough to walk into the village. And it's a good step out up the hill to the Fur and Feathers. I know that the question is also whether there's enough trade to sustain all the local businesses but if they get this right it could be very popular.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

possibly me being a bit daft but I would have thought it might have been a better idea to explore the possibility of placing a small tea hut/room actually on the banks of the broad? subject to planning of course:naughty: would make a fortune during the season from boat camper and walking traffic

• Like 3

That is a nice idea Dave but, reading all the comments from the EDP article, I have a feeling it would not be well "received":naughty:

Planning and such is very hit and miss if you get my meaning:norty:

18 minutes ago, Gracie said:

Change that to a wine bar, DaveB and you will have my full support and undivided attention :naughty: cheers

Ordered up the wine and gin for the coming season this morning darlin......... so yer ok wont go thirsty girl

Charlie cheers

Ps welcome DaveB from me and the wench (some call her Inge )

• Like 2