Salhouse Bell

Labrador

Here's the bit from the EDP 

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/i_will_keep_it_going_until_it_is_sold_the_bell_in_salhouse_put_up_for_sale_by_enterprise_inns_1_4936234

If I had a spare quarter million I could be tempted, particularly freed from the 'orrible Enterprise (sorry Ei) :naughty:

Big car park and a lot of land behind the pub. Steve and Trudi seemed to be the last to make a go of it, I think they were stuffed by Enterprise in the end. 

The guy running it apparently has the Ram at Brundall and I have to say I was impressed when I last went in. At least he saved the pub from the grasp of Tesco. Fingers crossed I think. At least an ACV will give some protection and hopefully discourage the evil Co-op 

10 hours ago, Jim said:

What is it like as a pub these days?  The last time I was in there (2010), it looked okay.  That visit was with Perry, David and Simon aka PKS1702, Antares9 and Plesbit!

I do believe I was there, not involved in the party but lurking in the lounge with an Adnams Explorer if memory serves. 

6 hours ago, Labrador said:

Pretty dead. Being run on a shoestring.

Sad to hear but I'm not surprised at all. In the right hands it could be a cracking pub. 

Ah yes Howard, I remember that now. I'm also pretty sure that the NBN quiz team used the Bell as their home turf!

The occasion then was Perry's 50th and they were staying at the now (sadly) defunct hotel which was down the Avenue in Wroxham.

• Like 1

They did indeed Jim, me and Mrs Nog gatecrashed them on one evening as I recall. 

Yes also remember the birthday bash, I seem to think it was quite rumbustious in the bar! cheersbar

That was the Bell in better days. I still think with the right landlord and free of pubco it could do very well. Shame Rick has his hands full at the moment! 

On 3/19/2017 at 8:32 AM, NorfolkNog said:

They did indeed Jim, me and Mrs Nog gatecrashed them on one evening as I recall. 

Yes also remember the birthday bash, I seem to think it was quite rumbustious in the bar! cheersbar

That was the Bell in better days. I still think with the right landlord and free of pubco it could do very well. Shame Rick has his hands full at the moment! 

a wee bit busy at present :hardhat:

price is not that inviting and only as high as it is due to the land at the back

17 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

Well according to Fleurets website the Bell is sold subject to contract.

Not to Rick as we know, so I wonder if the guy from the Ram is buying it??

strong rumour from a customer the people living next door to it was very interested and to keep as a pub

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Well its looks like it's out of the clutches of Enterprise which can only be good news.

But Greene King IPA Smooth? My giddy aunt. Don't think I'll be rushing in. Still an open pub is infinitely preferable to a closed pub any day.

Anyone know the Kings Head in Lingwood? Never been in, bit off my radar.

cheersbar

http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/news/new-owner-of-the-bell-pub-in-salhouse-claims-to-offer-one-of-the-cheapest-pints-in-norfolk-1-5019117

My thoughts re beer types called in yesterday didn't impress finished up with a pint of cider as the others not exactly cutting edge. Must try harder.

There are some great Adnams IPA, mosaic, etc why fullers London brews ?

John

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jbx5 said:

My thoughts re beer types called in yesterday didn't impress finished up with a pint of cider as the others not exactly cutting edge. Must try harder.

There are some great Adnams IPA, mosaic, etc why fullers London brews ?

John

All to do with price , Fullers offer massive discounts to the free trade .

think sadly is a case of a mistaken belief that if you're cheap you'll be busy .

better to offer quality and become a destination pub , good local ale , "honest" pub food where an effort  is made to only use local suppliers .

our last establishment , with the exception of prawns , ice cream and a few desserts , used no frozen products 

• Like 2

Mmm, cider sounds a good choice under the circumstances. What a shame. I think the answer lies in the price. To an extent, but not always, good beer costs more. The wholesale price can vary considerably and cash strapped landlords will often (but not always) go for the cheapest. Its a bit of a case of never mind the quality, feel the width in many cases which is a shame.

I have suspicions that Greene King probably sell their products very competitively in the free trade which is probably why it seems to turn up so often unfortunately.

I was speaking to another boater when we were at Salhouse three weeks ago who had gone in the night before and said they'd enjoyed it and been made very welcome and would definitely go back (we'd gone to the Feathers)

He didn't say what the beer was 

still it's an open pub I suppose 

• Like 1