Wroxham Bridge

Paws

Hi Paws. The answer is NO! They haven't taken private boats through for a few years now but if you ask any of the pilots, they will give you guidance as to whether your boat will go through or not providing you know the airdraft.

Faircraft/NBD run the pilots so it's them to blame. Incidently, they don't even allow private boats in their basin either!

I don't know your boat type Paws but just out of curiosity have you actually accurately measured her air draft?

I am surprised at the number of people who don't actually know the boat they own air draft and might reply on what it was in hire.  During one our recent maintenance weekends on Broad Ambition we had to re-measure her air draft and was pleased it was still what it used to be but now we have moved our spot light forward the highest part of the boat is now the top of windscreen leaves when they are folded down.

We then went to a friend of ours and did their boat - ex hire and an alleged air draft of 6' 8" but actually is 6' 4" - they can now have an updated plaque made for the helm.

It just takes two people a moment to carry out this simple task and some basic tools:

1 x spirit level

1x piece of flat and straight wood

1x string

1x weight

1X tape measure

Tie the weight (we used a spanner) to string and have this over the side of the boat accurately  level with the wood that is being held by a helper - absolutely level (using the spirit level)  - at the highest point of your boat.  Pay out the string until the weight just touches the water.   With thumb and index finger hold the string at this point and then measure from there to the tip of the weight - you will now have your air draft. You could if you wanted do this with full tanks but a better idea is an average 50/50 full which may be closer to how things are on an average day you might wish to pass under a bridge.

on'

• Like 8

Friday Girl, our Alpha 35 FD, was charted as "Not to pass under Wroxham Bridge with less than 6ft 10ins on the height gauge".

Over the years I've gradually brought that down and accept 6ft 6ins every day. When we were once stuck the other side, after a night in Coltishall, I came back to find 6ft 3ins on the gauge at LW. I was about to tie up when another Alpha 35 charged through the bridge towards us. The pilot told me that he was only going to bring one more through but if I got it exactly right at high revs "she should go through"!

I shalln't be doing it again!     :shocked

(Oh yes, as per Robin's method I'd measured our air height as exactly 2m)

But don't forget the outline shape of your boat will also have a bearing on the height required under strongly arched bridges. Square (type) pegs into round (type) holes, and all that. In practice only experience and familiarity will be your best guide to any given bridge transit.

• Like 3

Wroxham is more tricky since the addition of the footbridge as it's arch doesn't match the arch of the bridge. There are however chains that hang down from the footbridge roughly in the shape of the bridge arch. If you hit them, you are unlikely to pass the main bridge. The other thing to allow for, particularly in the busy times is boats mooring and departing the pilot mooring just before the bridge.

Anyway the best way of passing the bridge is to line yourself up straight with the bridge as soon as possible and look for the key centre stone in the arch of the bridge. Put yourself at arms reach so you are in the centre of the boat and make sure you are straight in alignment with the key stone. If you are and you know you have the required clearance then you should pass easily. Remember to duck for the chains, especially when coming through from above the bridge. So many people pop their head up once clear of the main bridge and look back, only to be walloped on the back of the head by a chain from the foot bridge.

Unfortunately coming back through the bridge is more difficult due to it being offset to the river and you cannot get lined up till the last minute. 

If at all possible time it so that you have the current against you as you will have better steerage and be able to back out of it easier if you have any doubts. I also find early morning, or early evening, tide permitting to be better. Less spectators around waiting for you to get it wrong.

• Like 1

Just now, vanessan said:

Just to add to what kfurbank has said - don't forget to sound your horn! Although it does make people look at you, it may serve as a warning to others that you are there and allow them to respond if necessary.

That's actually easier said than done.

When approaching Potter bridge, I'm a bit busy to take my eye off the bridge to locate and press the horn. I know it's not much, and I know it's not long, but it's long enough to lose your line. I notice the bridge pilots at Potter don't do it either.

Do they at Wroxham?

Just now, MauriceMynah said:

When approaching Potter bridge, I'm a bit busy to take my eye off the bridge to locate and press the horn. I know it's not much, and I know it's not long, but it's long enough to lose your line. I notice the bridge pilots at Potter don't do it either.

Do they at Wroxham?

More than once I've managed to turn off the bilge pump or slightly raise the roof instead. :facepalm:It is actually more important when heading downstream at Wroxham due to the pilot mooring the other side and day boat returning and leaving with newbies on board. However that side gives you even less time to get yourself aligned. :shocked

• Like 1

Just now, MauriceMynah said:

Do they at Wroxham?

I don't think we have ever had trouble sounding the horn at Wroxham bridge, doesn't the sign ask you to do so? After all, you wouldn't sound it as you go under, rather in good time to give plenty of warning. Makes good sense to me at bridges like Wroxham where you can't see to the other side.

• Like 1

Paws, as yours is a forward-helm bathtub, you don’t have the advantage of a view at rooftop level that a centre or rear cockpit vessel provides, so bridges pose more difficulties.

As well as lining up with the keystone, as previously mentioned, it is imperative to line up square-on to the bridge itself. To do this, look through the bridge. If you are approaching at an angle, you will be able to see more of the inside of the bridge on one side than on the other. Adjust your angle of approach until the amount you can see of the tunnel ‘tube’ is the same on both sides.

You can practice this at home, using a cardboard tube (inside of a toilet roll will do). Hold it at arms length and look through it. Then turn it, in the horizontal plane, from one side to the other and note the effect.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, vanessan said:

doesn't the sign ask you to do so?

Yes it does, but I don't necessarily see the point. If you are at the helm of a dayboat with the engine running, will you hear it?

If you are in any diesel craft I doubt you would hear it. Did you hear the dayboat coming the other way sound his? Do we know if he did? 

M'lud, I put it to you that with a road going across the bridge with traffic noise and car horns, a boatyard bridge opposite the public moorings where cars often sound their horn, and the place where Robin had to sound his horn after going under the  bridge, in the unlikely event that a horn is heard, by the time a skipper has worked out who is hooting who and why, the situation will be long gone.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

Yes it does, but I don't necessarily see the point. If you are at the helm of a dayboat with the engine running, will you hear it?

If you are in any diesel craft I doubt you would hear it. Did you hear the dayboat coming the other way sound his? Do we know if he did? 

M'lud, I put it to you that with a road going across the bridge with traffic noise and car horns, a boatyard bridge opposite the public moorings where cars often sound their horn, and the place where Robin had to sound his horn after going under the  bridge, in the unlikely event that a horn is heard, by the time a skipper has worked out who is hooting who and why, the situation will be long gone.

All probably very true but isn't it nice to think for one teensy weensy minute that you just might be helping someone? And doing what the signs suggest you should do? I would far rather give the warning and hope to be heard than just not bother. I hope folk don't ignore the 'keep off decks' part of the sign as well! :facepalm:

10 minutes ago, vanessan said:

I hope folk don't ignore the 'keep off decks' part of the sign as well! 

Awww, you're just no fun at all you're not! As I said previously, I'd rather keep full attention on Potter bridge than sounding horns. Wroxham is far less of a problem, and there I do sound it when I remember. It's just I see it as a pointless distraction and an unnecessary addition to the ambient noise. At other bridges I play it as I see it

1 hour ago, kfurbank said:

Strangely enough, if you shaved a little over 2ft 6in of the length, there is no requirement in the byelaws to have a whistle or other means of making an efficient sound signal!!!! :shocked 

MM, I can lend you a chainsaw.

• Like 2