Wroxham Bridge

Paws

6 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Keith, It's a 27ft Elysian Bounty moored at Hickling (so going under Potter is pretty frequent.)

I was sure your boat was bigger than that MM...oh hang on it was that bowsprit off that yacht! :naughty:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grendel said:

he took it off when they announced that tolls were by length x breadth area

Too bloody true Gren.! ..  What with that added to the rest of the Drascome stuck in the side the overall footprint was massive.

... Anyone seen Peter lately?

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Elysian 27s were designed as a 25 footer, but were beaten to the market by several other 25ft fiberglass hulls. So they lent the stern back a bit, and added that curved bow. Hey presto a 27 footer (with not a lot of extra space inside).

I'm sure with a lot of work on the bow you could shorten it quite a bit without making any difference to the internal space.

I believe they still measure out at something like 26ft 6inches (I must measure that sometime.)

When I got My Elysian 27CP I found the horn, was mounted inside the cockpit console. So the only person who could hear it was the helmsman. It appeared to be the original fitting too..

I fitted a cheap plastic external horn, which was a lot better, but is now showing it's age. I'm tempted by something large foghorn like, or a good external electronic speaker, with a variety of sounds....

Being also a railway enthusiast, I fancy either a GWR chime Whistle, D# (Brake) & G# (Main),

or A diesel Locomotive two tone horn http://www.mrrails.co.uk/dieselhorns.htm

• Like 1

I find the approach to Wroxham Bridge much easier if you get well over to starboard nice and early.

By that I mean a good hundred metres before the bridge, as you get nearer being already to starboard you can concentrate on the Keystone and getting it spot on your centre line.

I have a "Windy Bridge Height indicator" on my pulpit. It is set to the height of my windscreen in the up position, it has the added benefit of a burgee as well. I bought mine mail order from Jones Chandlery in St Ives (Cambs) I marked where it should go in the rail clamp using a cheap laser spirit level.1_14.thumb.jpg.2287e7ae3981c178f520319e36bce45a.jpg

We always sound the horn and last week it was a jolly good job too. We came through from the upstream side to absolute mahem. Day boats x3 jostling for position, pilot equiped hire boat backing away from the quay (he heard the horn and kept going backwards), another hire boat starting to moor at the quay, hireboat exiting NBD  and the trip boat turning into NBD. Was a lot of fun.

The horn also alerts the Ghouls and nay sayers who inhabit the riverbank in the hope of a collision or slight oopsie.  I like to disappoint them. One thing I would say is never go in so quickly that you can't back out if you need to, better to back out than crash.   

Our horn always freaks out the dog which in itself is quite amusing but not with so many boats about. We have a routine, "grab Boris " beeep /honk "ok let him go"...LOL Beep and Honk sound so inadequate I must admit to being jealous of Charlie's Horn...Oh err missus.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, ChrisB said:

I find the approach to Wroxham Bridge much easier if you get well over to starboard nice and early.

By that I mean a good hundred metres before the bridge, as you get nearer being already to starboard you can concentrate on the Keystone and getting it spot on your centre line.

1_14.thumb.jpg.2287e7ae3981c178f520319e36bce45a.jpg

Aren't you supposed to be on the starboard (right hand side) anyway?

43 minutes ago, Labrador said:

Aren't you supposed to be on the starboard (right hand side) anyway?

You watch people approach that bridge and they start to take the middle line not realising that the bridge is not at 90 deg to the river.

The best course of practice is to go under the centre of the bridge and in order to to do that requires simply being able to line the boat up and then keep it in line for a matter of seconds as you pass under.

It seems easy, but surprisingly you see people (even the Pilot at Wroxham) not going through straight - and when ever I have seen anyone brush a handrail or worse, it has not been because their boat did not fit under the bridge to begin with, it was because half way in their passage under the bridge they have been crabbing to the left or right - reducing precious clearance between bridge arch and their boat until scrape!

You can practice at other bridges like Ludham or Acle where it is not important to be 'bang on centre' but learn how to line up, centre the boat, hold this course and go under the bridge - then when you need to do this where it matters like at Wroxham, you will have the confidence to do so.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Labrador said:

Where is the chaos and havoc? In approx 100 metres there are 3 cruisers and a day boat heading upstream, a day boat and cruiser heading downstream and a boat turning In the river.

Obviously you are right my perspective is incorrect I won't bother to post anything else.

5 hours ago, stumpy said:

TheQ - on No Worries (Bounty 27 AC) the horn is about level and a foot away from the port ear of anyone sitting on the bog I'll leave the rest to your imagination lol!

Funnily enough mine was the n exactly the same place and iv seen a bounty 30 where it was in the bow section, now mine are all on the roof all 3 of them :default_biggrin: 125 dB of em and  well it gets attention when I need to use it which isn't often :default_beerchug:

14 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Looks pretty darned chaotic to me! Just needs a couple of tacking yachts to create absolute bedlam and maybe a touch of carnage!

I agree where is that upper deck, fly bridge going? Not under the bridge for sure. And that stern on outside I assume the "Wroxham Claridges" does not aid getting the Keystone centred. Lot of potential for great spectator sport.

I think as others have said, people have a different take on things so I'm sure no criticism was intended. it looked quite busy to me but bear in mind this is the view I'm more used to! :default_biggrin:

Also there is maybe 150 metres of river in that shot from the camera but because of its elevated position it looks more compressed. However I'm still looking forward to December (and the way it is today I bet the weather will be better too)!!!

Wroxham Bridge - December.jpg

• Like 5

23 hours ago, ChrisB said:

I have a "Windy Bridge Height indicator" on my pulpit. It is set to the height of my windscreen in the up position, it has the added benefit of a burgee as well. I bought mine mail order from Jones Chandlery in St Ives (Cambs) I marked where it should go in the rail clamp using a cheap laser spirit level.1_14.thumb.jpg.2287e7ae3981c178f520319e36bce45a.jpg

Is anyone else having problems with photographs.    It may work for you but all I am getting in a box is

1-14.thumb.jpg.2287e7ae3981c178f520319e36bce45a.jpg in a blue box.    

I get the same for all of the photos.