Day Boating In A National Park

Polly

No, a real one!

Work took me to Derbyshire, so we decided to make a break of it, and stayed a few nights in the lovely Peak District, followed by a visit to The Lake District. 

We had to get afloat, and considered a day ticket on the Windermere lake 'steamers', but when we saw that they were fairly bristling with folk, opted for an electric day boat instead. This was absolutely the right choice. The handover included advice such as ,'they are all bigger than you, so keep out of everybody's way' and 'stay near the middle of the lake you will see more that way' a line repeated verbatim the next day when we hired one on Coniston. :party:

Here is a quick pic of Steam Yacht Gondola on Coniston.

IMG_0873.MOV

• Like 4

There used to be some Character Boats, Lune Whamels and Post Boats I think based at Glennriding that you could hire. Day boats and canoes at Pooley Bridge. 

Had the second half of my honeymoon at the Glenridding Hotel.

1 hour ago, Polly said:

We had a lovely little wooden boat out on Windermere, electric engined.

They're lovely boats, we saw them in the workshop when collecting our boats from up there,  lots of work each year on the upkeep of them woodies.  

6 hours ago, lakesailor said:

Spent many a winter in my youth  sanding and varnishing the old wooden day boats and rowing boats on windermere and filling the numerous dents and scratches  on the boats you got from Windermere  Mark

I hope you approve of the MBA modifications to the Windermere boats. (blatant self promo moment coming up) There are many pictures on the MBA Marine Facebook page over the last 5 months.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MBA Marine said:

I hope you approve of the MBA modifications to the Windermere boats. (blatant self promo moment coming up) There are many pictures on the MBA Marine Facebook page over the last 5 months.

Some good modifications  especially like the elbow room   needed that doing years ago .    How many boats did you buy ? 

• Like 1

Just now, lakesailor said:

Some good modifications  especially like the elbow room   needed that doing years ago .    How many boats did you buy ? 

Joint effort with Andy (Freedom) we took 6.  I am quite pleased with the elbow room, that modification has made a big difference.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

OK MM, I will rise to that one. I know of nothing that has been banned or modified in the name of "Sandford" . It (Sandford) isn't the name under which anything is done. It is done in the name of "Conservation" Sandford is the principal under which conservation can be upgraded to be the overriding factor.

Unless that is, you can demonstrate otherwise.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, marshman said:

Remind me on which Lake that was and was it Sandford being used as the reason??

Delighted to remind you Marshman

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 4:11 PM, MauriceMynah said:

I know of nothing that has been banned or modified in the name of "Sandford" . It (Sandford) isn't the name under which anything is done. It is done in the name of "Conservation" Sandford is the principal under which conservation can be upgraded to be the overriding factor.

Please, please don't think that I am anti conservation, that would be far from the truth. However, how boaters, anglers and dog walkers treat the environment should be down to education, not legislation. Both Hickling and Horsey have 'voluntary; agreements in place by way of winter exclusions and refuges for wildlife. Credit to those involved, by and large, these refuges are being respected. However, if Sandford had been available then I have no doubts whatsoever that it would have been gleefully and speedily invoked and indeed extended. I have mentioned dog walkers because, if the experiences of my local reserve wardens are anything to go by then dog walkers can be a major problem too.

• Like 2