Country File On The Broads

JennyMorgan

I see Lord Paul (of aerial footage of the Broads fame) has hit Mustard TV with his campaign for charging points for electric cars.

I was talking to him about this a couple of weeks back when he popped in to see me at Martham. He told me he was heading to Scotland in his electric car. Of course my reply of 'hell of an extension lead you've got there' went down like Bobby Crush on an oil rig.

• Like 2

Until a nationwide exchange system is in place electric cars will never replace conventional engines .

why can we not pull into a petrol station and exchange run down battery packs for fully charged ones , is the technology that difficult?

cambridge city want to make all taxis electric , currently the city has eight charging points , five of which are in car parks which for a four hour charge (full charge) means a parking charge of £16 .

on our fleet we have a couple of Nissan Leaf electric cars , Nissan claim a range of 186 miles is achievable, in the past year neither has achieved greater than 90 miles before low battery reserve light comes on , I would love to run an electric cab but it is not viable

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SEAMASTER said:

Very disappointed about countryfile. No boat action at all. I suppose they class the southern rivers as Norfolk Broads. Never mind can't win them all. 

Er. Norwich is in Norfolk and considered to be on the southern rivers , so yes some of the southern rivers are in Norfolk others are in Suffolk how hard can it be , you can actually go from one county to another on a boat ( wow ) , no boats on countryfile  oh well there's more to Norfolk n Suffolk than boats cheersbar

You can travel on parts of the Waveney with Norfolk on one side of you and Suffolk on the other. What makes me smile is that wherries are often referred to as Norfolk Wherries yet of the survivors, Albion & Ardea, both are Oulton Broad, Suffolk built. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

It's seems over the years,the broads have been wrongly call the Norfolk broads 

Don't really know who we can blame for that, probably not the Authority though. I have a book called 'The Land of the Broads' which is a bit long winded, the title, not the book, and I suspect that it was our Victorian forebears that pretty soon changed that to Broadland which I have long thought the ideal marketing tag, certainly sums it all up. 

So, what are the options then?

The Broads, been in use for hundreds of years, short, accurate and established.

Broadland, been in use a since the railway companies latched onto Poppyland & Broadland and Norfolk caught the public imagination, seems pretty good to me.

Next we have the almost laughable Magic Waterland, ho ho ho, what was wrong with Broadland?

Norfolk Broads, fairly short, innacurate but manageable..

Norfolk & Suffolk Broads, accurate but bit of a mouthful.

Broads National Park, inaccurate and a bit of a mouthful.

Broads, a member of the National Parks Family, accurate but even more of a mouthful!

Just a thought, The Broads, unique amongst Britain's national parks. Accurate, as it is the only member of the family that isn't actually a national park, doesn't have Sandford & is a navigation authority.

2 minutes ago, marshman said:

Should it not be the Suffolk Broad?

Seems to me leaving it in the plural leads me to think there may be more than one available to cruise on - is this merely a matter of poor marketing  or a deliberate attempt to mislead???

Not able to cruise on them both but there are two Suffolk Broads, mustn't forget Barnby. That aside the title Broads etc. does, by custom, include the rivers. I don't see this as an attempt to mislead, the Suffolk Broads, like its Norfolk cousin, is an area and it does include marshes, dykes, carrs, meres, ponds, rivers and broads, landlocked and otherwise.

Just now, addicted said:

You'd have thought there"d have been something about boats and boaters on  Countryfile, after all under the Packman cloud we're an endangered species.

Carole

Don't think that we'll be endangered whilst he needs our money! 

Perhaps there might be a further Broads related Countryfile program, including boats, I do know that some very informative letters were sent to the Countryfile team, there is a story there.

this is why the only electric vehicle I am looking at- at the moment is the Zero motorcycle, it just has the range for the round trip to work and back, plus can be charged from a standard socket.

about 20 years ago I was saying to my bosses at the local electricity supply company, that if electric cars were ever to come into fruition, the charging network would have to be in place first, and that we should be installing charging posts in car parks wherever we could get them. was I listened to?- No.

Even now while we are putting charging points into just about every development we do in london, it is still only about 6 for every 100 houses, the network cannot stand a lot higher than this anyway.

In Japan, you can use the charged battery in your electric car to provide mains power to your property via an inverter/switching unit, in the case of a power cut. Now that's clever thinking. But probably expensive!

I'm a bit worried about these smart meters - they open up the possibility (probability) of different rates at different times. OK if you can spread your use outside of peak hours, but most families can't do that. I foresee people being stung for power prices when they're a "captive audience".

When water meters were first  mooted in the 1990's I lived in one of the areas that were chosen for trials. Different rates were charged for different times of the day. A neighbour who had moved in unaware of the system had a habit of putting laundry on before going to work and got an  enormous water bill. Our compensation when the trial period was over? We were allowed to keep the meters free of  charge!. So yes I can see different rates of charges being introduced.

Carole.

Just now, JennyMorgan said:

Perhaps there should be different rates in the form of toll surcharges depending on when folk go through honeypots like Wroxham & Horning. Effectively tiered congestion charges, lot we can learn from London's traffic controls :51_scream:

I hope you mean we should get a reduction if we tend to stay clear of the"honeypots" as those of us  based in the South tend to do

Carole

1 hour ago, addicted said:

I hope you mean we should get a reduction if we tend to stay clear of the"honeypots" as those of us  based in the South tend to do

Carole

Just no surcharges down South, the income from the surcharges up North to pay for a bypass to Great Yarmouth.