Those Bridges Again

Baitrunner

Another mess up at reedham bridge today. Power failure, but once again it was luckily in the closed position!!!

we arrived about 12:30 today to see the 2 red flags flying. It took ages before they responded to multiple boats asking if they would be able open later and if there was an eta. 

A few boats along with us managed to get through about 4:30 low water after putting as much down as we could, but a large portion of the NYA cruise were still stuck on the pontoon when we went through. 

At one point rafted 3 deep I did think they could just go the whole hog and block the river!!!

before we get the comments about having a boat that's too high, the sail boat with a fixed mast that looked like it was teaching was also stuck!!! It's not like we can go round it  

if anyone knows a good demolition expert who wants to practice on a bridge or two.......?

and Friday Somerleyton was a pain when they wouldn't open until the train was over 20 mins late!!! He did apologise though. Some of the bridge operators do seem better than others. 

• Like 4

I think there should be a way of billing network rail or whoever it is for the inconvenience of it. 

It is possible people could end up out of pocket for not being able to get back to their mooring and then home and to work for instance.

It is very convenient these things always occur with the bridges in the closed positions, i cant think of a time one has been stuck open but I may well be wrong!

The operator at Somerleyton is usually very helpful I agree. 

• Like 2

Why don't the BA.... Man up and tell Network Rail to sort it....

If not there be fined every time the bridges are not operational and not working....

Look how many times it was down last year.... I had the same problem with somerleyton bridge last September.... 

Marky your right Demolition is the right answer.... pull them both down..:naughty:

• Like 1

In fairness the BA has taken Network Rail to task, the result, who do you think paid for the pontoons?

However, I do agree that there should be a system by which Network Rail is fined.

P.S. Bridge operators appreciate a friendly wave too!

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

In fairness the BA has taken Network Rail to task, the result, who do you think paid for the pontoons?

However, I do agree that there should be a system by which Network Rail is fined.

P.S. Bridge operators appreciate a friendly wave too!

And boaters like a response on the radio too :wave

• Like 2

Having been in the signal box at Somerleyton I can only say that the operators only have one set of arms, legs and hands and the railway signals have to come first, the message board next and the radio after that. Idyllic job, when they are not busy!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Having been in the signal box at Somerleyton I can only say that the operators only have one set of arms, legs and hands and the railway signals have to come first, the message board next and the radio after that. Idyllic job, when they are not busy!

That would explain it then less trains at Reedham :naughty:

4 hours ago, Gracie said:

I really feel the need to say this........Mark, why on earth would you buy a Boat that's too high? :naughty: 

Grace

Ah, now too high for what young lady?

certain silly bridges yes. To look down on minions definitely!!:bow mind you I have to see them first before we run them down. :party:

It could be that we need the extra storage for the wine and beer.

Now then, why do you need so many shoes and those ridiculous heels!!!cheers

• Like 5

Ridiculous heels, I really don't think so, the amount of shoes one has and the length of the heel is very important, the same as how high your boat is to you.......... contrary to popular belief, size really does matter :naughty:

Grace

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Gracie said:

Ridiculous heels, I really don't think so, the amount of shoes one has and the length of the heel is very important, the same as how high your boat is to you.......... contrary to popular belief, size really does matter :naughty:

Grace

Hatti.gif

• Like 3

Back on topic (only briefly I promise) I tried to call reedham a couple of weeks ago to see if they were opening soon as I was probably 6" short of headroom and received no reply despite several attempts so I gave in and dropped the radar arch while being turned sideways in the flow, as soon as I'd got it down and turned back for the bridge the bloody thing started to open, I may have muttered a few choice words (like "oh you bounder" and "what good practice that was")twoguns

Ok you can go back to Gracies shoes now.

• Like 5

We've always found the operators at Reedham to be polite and considerate, whereas Somerleyton is just the opposite. I actually complained to the rail companya few years ago and someone rang me in response I to!d him very firmly that if they didn't do something about the bad attitude of the operator there would be repercussions as I had been told that a group of boaters were considering the merits of staging a blockade around the bridge. I must say the operator's attitude did improve after that.

Carole

To be honest, I used to prefer the time boards that the operators used to hang out of the windows rather than the displays currently in use.

We had to wait 25 minutes at Somerleyton when we last on the boat, once this time was put on the display we moored on the pontoon eventually the current there is very strong and it can be a pain to moor up.

Normally Reedham bridge with everything down is not a problem to us, we have gone under with only 2 inches to spare, normally 10 foot clearance at high water, but watch out it can be less, this was the case when the guy from the hut said 10 foot at the bridge on his megaphone when we passed our airdraft is 9 foot 8 inches with everything down.

Regards

Alan 

• Like 1

The problem with the electronic boards is you have to be on top of them before you can see them. Even with binoculars. And even been on a flybridge and had trouble. 

A bloody great board or put the signs  further up and down river.

I find it's worse if your coming from Breydon. 

At least they did have the 2 red flags up. But surprising how few people know what it means. 

• Like 2

I'm always so busy looking to see if the bridge is already open I forget to look for the flags, but I do know the meaning of two red flags the problem is if there's been a glass or two on the journey I'm never sure if I'm seeing double!

Carole

• Like 2