Any Tablet Techies?

Paul

By tablet I mean the pluggy in type, not the twice a day to keep the joints from creaking.

Jamie was bought a tablet for Christmas which unfortunately got damaged when he lent it to a cousin. I replaced it with a refurbished model from a well known on line auction site which after a few weeks use stopped charging. So I bit the bullet went to a well known local supermarket and bough him a new one. Three months down the line the same has happened. It's dead. We know it is not the charger as we have tested it on something else. Is he doing something wrong?

It has only ever been charged with the original charger, usage is limited in line with school advice, he isn't allowed to walk around with it or take it to his bedroom, but still it has simply stopped charging. 

Any suggestions? This one is on it's way back to Tesco (other Supermarkets are available), but I am reluctant to buy him another, perish the thought he may get landed with one of those old fashioned lap top thingys.

I seem to remember that the Tesco Hudl tablets used to have issues with charging and power supply where they would only work with the original but don't know of the HipStreet brand.

The only problem I've ever had with Apple is that the cables are prone to break and some of the so called compatible replacements are well NOT compatible.

Daft question here but when plugged in is there any strain on the cable or plugs, could it be internal cable damage to the power supply (not suggesting it's been damaged by you, more a weakness in the design)

Is it possible to try a different charger?

seems odd for the same fault on several units.

Best bet to take it back I think and see what they come up with

Sorry I can't be more help

Look on YouTube and put in you make not working. My sons I phone did this over the weekend holding the home and power switch at the same time fixed it.

My Sony Xperia went dead when it was new. I went all the way back to Vodafone in the Castle Mall. The assistant held down the power button and the two volume buttons again at the same time and it sprang back to life.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

Look on YouTube and put in you make not working. My sons I phone did this over the weekend holding the home and power switch at the same time fixed it.

Chris my ipad does this sometimes, just time locked on the display, or the code won't enter.  The info as Chris said fixed it. My ipad is nearly 5 years old, still on the original batteries, gets charged and discharged virtually daily. I'm sure using it one day, then a week or more later, does it no good what so ever.  Maybe cycle the battery more.

Re after- market charging leads, I have had no problems with the ones from £1 shop

Richard

my android tablet went black screen and would not turn on, I eventually found a website that gave me the combination of keys to press to do a full reboot, after which it has been working fine, yes it was the power and volume keys but in a particular order / combination

We've checked the charger, it's charging my S6 ok and Elaine's Sony. But nothing on the tablet. I have tried all the button combi's different sites seem to say different things, power and v+ or power and v- or all three, so tried them all. Tried the reset button, nothing. 

So off it went back to Tesco this morning, the young man there tried various things, different chargers etc and no joy. It gave it a cursory once over to establish it had not been manhandled then refunded it. He did offer to replace it like for like, even though the current model is more expensive but having searched the web this morning there are rafts of reports from owners / users of Hipstreet tablets about them dying. It seems the power control modules, specifically a ceramic resistor used are, in the words of today's generation "well dodgy". Once the refund comes through I'll put a few extra quid to it and buy him something a bit better. Any comments on Samsung Tab vs Acer Iconia tablets?

I bought my daughter an acer aconia tablet & it broke down about 6 months down the line WITH -you guessed it , charging problems , i could'nt get the charger to stay in & i tried various others to no avail & i started to get lines on it too so it went back & i got a refund, clares now got my samsung one & she uses it every day & no problems, samsungs are real work horses & thats why i stick to samsung fones, lol  lori

• Like 1

I have had a Samsung S2 for a good few years now with no issues, the battery still lasts for hours , the wife has just bought the latest model Samsung after having various cheaper ones over the years and having problems with all of them, think we still have three or four in the "All sorts just in case drawer" in the kitchen .

• Like 2

My vote also goes to Samsung and Android for tablets. I have a very expensive and I mean eye watering! MS Surface Pro running Windows 10 and it has so many glitches it is not true, to the extent that after having a life after main frames devoted to Microsoft I am prepared at my advanced age to go with and learn Apple.

• Like 1

Hi, I don't know how much you like/dislike Apple but I have never had any problems with my iPads (on my second, upgraded to the pro 9.7, after iMovie was no longer supported) my old iPad 2 still works smashed screen and bent chassis, still works well enough for my backup, I have had too problems with Android tablets for me to bother with them (I do however have an Android phone and will never get an iPhone) my personal opinion, only hope it helps.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 2

If the windows tablet performs like my win 10 mobile don't touch it. Worked great on win 8.  Android for apps can't find the same apps on windows store.

I'm not a iSheep and chase the latest iphone but me and Kaz have ipad mini's and can't fault them. just had a new screen on mine under the 3 year cover from John Lewis.

Thanks everyone for your input. I will not go down the apple route, so it's android or windows. I currently have a Samsung s6 mobile which has convinced me not to buy anything else samsung ever again if they are the last manufacturer of techy stuff left when the sky falls in. Jamie's school friends all seem to have vision gaming tablets, which do run windows, but all they use them for is minecraft so not to demanding.

Hi Paul,

the tablet you may need depends for what purpose, just for entertaining the NVIDIA Shield K1 is a good one.

Just for Internet or Mail the Aldi tablets are good choice.

For more ambiitous its not easy since you dont like Samsung - for example see Huawei Media Pad, Lenovo Yoga Book or Asus Zenpad. 

Just a question, why you don't like samsung ? I am using Samsung Tablets and Mobiles since Years and I am happy using them.:596_desktop:

the only i device I have is an ipaq - this is not an apple product, it was a HP windows mobile device- when they were new they were more expensive than laptops, and really its just a palm computer, but it still works well and has a decent battery life - I believe it is still running windows mobile 5.

Paul, don't judge Samsung by the abysmal S6 most products are good. My tablet seems pretty solid and my old S5 that I gave to my granddaughter survived along time after she dropped it out of her bedroom window onto concrete. In fact it still works but the forward facing camera is cracked so no good to a 13year old.

paul

5 hours ago, ZimbiIV said:

Paul, don't judge Samsung by the abysmal S6 most products are good. My tablet seems pretty solid and my old S5 that I gave to my granddaughter survived along time after she dropped it out of her bedroom window onto concrete. In fact it still works but the forward facing camera is cracked so no good to a 13year old.

paul

My go-tab tablet is such s pain I'm often tempted to drop it from a great height!

Carole

I stick to certain Samsung and Sony products because I use Viewranger OS mapping on my trips and walks and it is just so much easier if you know your kit is weatherproof.