Boundary Farm Replacement Moorings

vanessan

Yes I was thinking the same, although walking is not such a problem as we lost our old dog this week!

she broke her back leg badly and although the vet said he could try and mend it at 13 years old we just couldn't put her through it

So if you see a sad couple looking lost and staring  lovingly at your dogs we're not odd (well maybe  a bit) just trying to come to terms with it!

On Pacific Dawn from Friday, say hello!

• Like 2

Sorry to hear about your dog Tim. "Liking" your post didn't seem appropriate.

Have a great time on Pacific Dawn. Would be very interested to hear how you get on and how you like the boat afterwards. Always on the lookout for a new place to hire from if I can find the right boat.

So very sorry you have had to say goodbye to your dog Tim I' ve done that more times than I would have preferred and it's truly hard. The greater the pet the bigger the hole they leave behind. Hope you find it easier soon

Csrole

• Like 1

Thanks guys, first part of the holiday is in Shropshire where apparently they've never heard of wifi 3G 4G or often a basic phone signal so haven't to be able to get on here for a bit, actually it's quite nice to be cut off

Anyway looking forward to Friday and back on the water

Just to add whist the hamsters are powering the the hotel wifi 

First impressions of Pacific has been first class, never hired from them before but from the moment I booked I've been very happy

i emailed Fiona about our change of circumstances purely to advise that they'd be no dog on the boat so their paperwork was correct. Not only did she send a lovely response sympathetic to our loss, but she also said she'd refund our pet charge

I won't be accepting it, as it's not their fault we will be 'one less' but it's a really nice guesture, and really apprrciated

So far the Pacific experience has been top notch 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, tim said:

Just to add whist the hamsters are powering the the hotel wifi 

First impressions of Pacific has been first class, never hired from them before but from the moment I booked I've been very happy

i emailed Fiona about our change of circumstances purely to advise that they'd be no dog on the boat so their paperwork was correct. Not only did she send a lovely response sympathetic to our loss, but she also said she'd refund our pet charge

I won't be accepting it, as it's not their fault we will be 'one less' but it's a really nice guesture, and really apprrciated

So far the Pacific experience has been top notch 

Over the years Tim iv met lots of people hiring through pacific all of whom  have had nothing but praise for Richard and Fiona and the team .

6 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

When we're on the boat Kate calls me a "puppyphile" as I go up to all and any dog I see as I miss ours when away from home , they hate travelling so we can't bring them , I'm usually found with a gravy bone biscuit in my pocket just in case 

You're not alone!  Whenever we've been sadly 'between dogs' we've been the same.  If you happen to bump into me and my hound, he loves a gravy bone!

• 4 months later...

Back onto original topic, only briefly, from what I understand of the situation at oby I'd be very surprised if the floating pontoon moorings ever make an appearance. The issue with hire boat rubbish ending up on the mashes still hasn't been resolved and from what I hear on the grape vine, BA's coffers are far too empty to pay the pontoons.

4 minutes ago, riverman said:

Back onto original topic, only briefly, from what I understand of the situation at oby I'd be very surprised if the floating pontoon moorings ever make an appearance. The issue with hire boat rubbish ending up on the mashes still hasn't been resolved and from what I hear on the grape vine, BA's coffers are far too empty to pay the pontoons.

Its ridiculous that the rubbish situation hasn't been resolved the broads ate a place of beauty not landfill all party's need to get there act together and quickly throughout the broads .

As for BA coffers well om sorry but they must have some spare they always find it for other things ! + there's a reserve form the extra income from the hire fleet that they didn't expect or calculate for , the 3% rise is supposed to be for better facilities , so instead of buying lots of tree cutting stuff how about get the fundamentals right first .

This is just conjecture but I think 'throughout the broads' is the problem. They don't want to set a precedent. Although they act like a council they want to be selective about what their duties are. There would be no problem with access, or a bin being secured in place, it's purely taking the refuse away.

You may well be right about the reserve funds but a new excavator costs a lot more than a few tree cutting bits. 

The tree cutting equipment it was referring to was the hydraulic shears which to me because they are hydraulic would fit on the new excavator as an attachment , how effective they are is very uncertain as the excavator has to be able to get access safely , to me its bonkers that type of equipment is for mass forest management not a few trees for who h a good chainsaw has worked perfectly well for a very long time , will it make the authority more efficient at tree management ? To be honest I very much doubt it in fact I can see it slowing the process down and huge problem's with access , my vote is a waste of resource's and wholly unnecessary .

More surprising is the mass plantation of trees at whitlingham of late , probably as many as have been cut down over the last few yrs :default_coat:

its probably a 'elf n safety' issue, chainsaws are notoriously dangerous, and nowadays its no excuse when some idiot cuts their leg off, or drops a tree on their head, if a safer way exists (but costs more). a hydraulic cutter takes the person to a more remote position, inside the safety cage of the excavator, so mr 'elf n safety' can see that an attempt to mitigate the danger has been made. we see this on a daily basis, our cable jointers used to use a sharp knife to cut the cable outer layers for jointing- they now have a tool box of different special tools to do the job, one for each size and type of cable, with each tool costing several hundreds of pounds, is it safer - certainly, but their tool boxes are a lot heavier now.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

167 people died due to accidents at work in 2016-17

There were 175,000 accidents which caused 7 days or more absence from work.

The trend is thankfully downward because there is much more attention paid to health and safety.

I know a man who had to go and tell a woman her husband had died at work.

If you think its health and safety gone mad...... well...

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Ricardo said:

The tree cutting equipment it was referring to was the hydraulic shears which to me because they are hydraulic would fit on the new excavator as an attachment , how effective they are is very uncertain as the excavator has to be able to get access safely , to me its bonkers that type of equipment is for mass forest management not a few trees for who h a good chainsaw has worked perfectly well for a very long time , will it make the authority more efficient at tree management ? To be honest I very much doubt it in fact I can see it slowing the process down and huge problem's with access , my vote is a waste of resource's and wholly unnecessary .

From what I understand the new excavator is to replace one of the old cranes not to be used with a tree shear. Due to the increase in plant hire firms who hire out tree shears and the subsequent drop in hire price, no business in there right mind would purchase one, just not cost effective.

The trees BA remove are only really twigs and from personal experience I can say with absolute certainty that hand felling is the safest, most efficient method for the broads environment. We usually fell directly into the water, then drag the trees onto the bank with a mini digger for delimbing and bucking. 

Once again, BA making a job harder than it needs to be. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, riverman said:

From what I understand the new excavator is to replace one of the old cranes not to be used with a tree shear. Due to the increase in plant hire firms who hire out tree shears and the subsequent drop in hire price, no business in there right mind would purchase one, just not cost effective.

The trees BA remove are only really twigs and from personal experience I can say with absolute certainty that hand felling is the safest, most efficient method for the broads environment. We usually fell directly into the water, then drag the trees onto the bank with a mini digger for delimbing and bucking. 

Once again, BA making a job harder than it needs to be. 

Exactly ,,,, as always use the right tool for the job , the problem is the catalogue is open and certain people can't see beyond the shiny shiny new tool , ask those doing the work to begin with what's req it will be a far different answer to the guys in the office , chainsaw use is not dangerous in anyway but chainsaw miss use is completely dangerous .

Maybe BA will buy a helicopter too to drop the excavator into position on the river bank because it can't get there any other way ! ,

Enter the team with the chainsaws ! 

You're exactly right, and it happens all the time. 

Take the clam bucket fiasco, someone in the office decided they wanted one for no obvious reason, went out and bought one without consulting anyone or any of the excavator literature regarding lifting capacities, subsequently to find out the excavator could barely lift it. Waste of 4 or 5 grand. 

Best of luck to them, landing small equipment in dense woodland is difficult enough, what you really need is some men with chainsaws to make a clearing.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1