Pub At Thurne

Wonderwall

I believe ( information from here I think) that The Lion at Thurne has changed hands , and some changes have been made. 

Whos been? And what's your opinion on the grub and beer? Pool table? Dartboard?   All info appreciated , I'm thinking of visiting when I'm down in 5 , yes only 5, that's FIVE weeks :default_blink:

And is there only one pub left in Potter, which is about a mile walk into the village? The broadshaven was in such a perfect location and was a great size, such a shame ( to my knowledge) it appears gone forever.

Cheers folks

• Confused 1

Yes Neil, the Lion has changed hands, Rick from The White Horse (Neatishead) has it now, there are various comments & pictures on here.

I've not been but hope to remedy that in a couple of weeks time.

Again your right about the Falgate in Potter Higham about 10 to 15 min walk up the road, we always find it friendly, not the best choice of beer but it's a pub and it's open so support it if you can.

By the way there's a comprehensive pub guide in our Handy Information section at the top of each page 

• Like 1

There's been a lengthy thread about the Lion changing hands, the last couple of pages give a bit more info. I went in early June, the place has been transformed, superb beer and I had an excellent pizza to take away.

I don't think there is either a dart board or pool table though but happy to stand corrected.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I guess it depends on your taste in pubs, but to my mind the changes to the Lion at Thurne are a huge improvement.  The sticky carpets have gone for a start.  I believe the refurb so far is just a basic one, with more to follow after the summer trade has died down.  Good selection of decent beers.  The food menu is short, but gives a reasonable range of simple meals.  From experience I can recommend both burgers, and the ham, egg and chips, and SWMBO enjoyed the asparagus thingy (I didn't look too close, not my kind of thing, but I think it had beetroot and feta cheese, or something like that).  Again I understand the menu will expand once they've done some more work on the kitchen later in the year.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

The Lion is much changed, some aspects I like, some less so. I've not eaten there yet but I'm sure I shall. The range of beer is excellent though I have trouble finding the old fashioned pint I crave. (I will admit that this is getting to be a problem wherever I drink these days)

If I were to level any criticism about the Lion is that having taken the carpet away (sticky or not) the place is now rather echoes when there are fewer customers there. The White Horse doesn't have this problem owing to all the nooks and crannies there.  

13 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

The Lion is much changed, some aspects I like, some less so. I've not eaten there yet but I'm sure I shall. The range of beer is excellent though I have trouble finding the old fashioned pint I crave. (I will admit that this is getting to be a problem wherever I drink these days)

Do they still produce 'Double Diamond' ?  Stella or John Smiths may be an alternative option  - but not at Rick's place :default_norty:

10 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

There's been a lengthy thread about the Lion changing hands, the last couple of pages give a bit more info. I went in early June, the place has been transformed, superb beer and I had an excellent pizza to take away.

I don't think there is either a dart board or pool table though but happy to stand corrected.

no pool table or dart board, dart board will probably come when we renovate the other side of the pub. pool table may go into the arcade next year

3 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

We went for a meal last month.Yes Rick from the white horse,done a great job on the pub beer and food.Thamk heavens no dart board or pool table.He intends to improve the moorings.There has been talk about broadshaven.No info for some time.

Moorings have had around 13k spent on them to make them safe and usable for the next few years. Our side is currently free and the farmers side is £4 overnight. Next year there will be a charge both sides of £5 TBC as we will be renting the farmers side.

3 hours ago, Bobdog said:

I guess it depends on your taste in pubs, but to my mind the changes to the Lion at Thurne are a huge improvement.  The sticky carpets have gone for a start.  I believe the refurb so far is just a basic one, with more to follow after the summer trade has died down.  Good selection of decent beers.  The food menu is short, but gives a reasonable range of simple meals.  From experience I can recommend both burgers, and the ham, egg and chips, and SWMBO enjoyed the asparagus thingy (I didn't look too close, not my kind of thing, but I think it had beetroot and feta cheese, or something like that).  Again I understand the menu will expand once they've done some more work on the kitchen later in the year.

Thanks, the menu has started to expand and be tweaked already. We are nearly back up to a full kitchen team so we can tweak a bit more soon.

59 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

If I were to level any criticism about the Lion is that having taken the carpet away (sticky or not) the place is now rather echoes when there are fewer customers there. The White Horse doesn't have this problem owing to all the nooks and crannies there.  

I am awaiting some dosh to come in and i can then get a few soft furnishings to hopefully help with that. I may brew an 'Old fashioned Mynah' as one of my Christmas beers :)

42 minutes ago, Poppy said:

Do they still produce 'Double Diamond' ?  Stella or John Smiths may be an alternative option  - but not at Rick's place :default_norty:

I have 'BASS Ale' on this weekend for our beer festival :)

36 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Rick's place??? Of all the bars in all the world.....

i need to make up a range of merchandise i think

• Like 4

MauriceMynah lays his cards on the table  with a feeling of optimism....

My idea of an "old fashioned pint is one that is mid brown in colour (not that important) is NOT over hopped, double hopped or is in any other way "very hoppy" (rather important) and does not have "a citrus aftertaste" or "elderflower taste that lingers" (vital)

To give a general idea of what I look for in a pint.....My favourite pints are...

Shepherd Neame Spitfire,  Abbot ale,  Adnams best,  Adnams Broadside,  Courage Best,  and my top of the tops is Fullers London Pride. When served well any of those I like, or any beer with those general characteristics.

I find that when kept well (sadly rare) Greene King IPA is pretty acceptable.

The beer I like least but will drink if I have to is Woodefords Wherry,  Only once (out of many occasions) have I been to the White Horse and not found a beer I liked, but even then I found a mix of half Wherry and half something else worked well for me. The something else was rather strong and a bit sweet with a smokey tang to it. Can't remember for the life of me what it was.

4 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

We went for a meal last month.Yes Rick from the white horse,done a great job on the pub beer and food.Thamk heavens no dart board or pool table.He intends to improve the moorings.There has been talk about broadshaven.No info for some time.

yeah, god forbid people actually went into a pub to unwind and play some traditional pub games. They might even laugh and joke, we cant be having that.:default_norty:

8 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

My idea of an "old fashioned pint is one that is mid brown in colour (not that important) is NOT over hopped, double hopped or is in any other way "very hoppy" (rather important) and does not have "a citrus aftertaste" or "elderflower taste that lingers" (vital)

To give a general idea of what I look for in a pint.....My favourite pints are...

Shepherd Neame Spitfire,  Abbot ale,  Adnams best,  Adnams Broadside,  Courage Best,  and my top of the tops is Fullers London Pride. When served well any of those I like, or any beer with those general characteristics.

The beer I like least but will drink if I have to is Woodefords Wherry,  Only once (out of many occasions) have I been to the White Horse and not found a beer I liked, but even then I found a mix of half Wherry and half something else worked well for me. The something else was rather strong and a bit sweet with a smokey tang to it. Can't remember for the life of me what it was.

you would like our farrier 4.5% rich malty best bitter (6 grains, dark brown, english hedgerow hops) or our etty ann malt 3.7% low bitterness, good body, caramel notes. I brew these regular but this time of year we can't keep up

1 hour ago, RickWhiteHorse said:

I may brew an 'Old fashioned Mynah' as one of my Christmas beers :)

I think you mean 'Old fashioned moaner' :default_biggrin:

Although actually, I tend to share his taste in beer, with the exception of the Abbott, which was, many years ago a great brew, but has changed for the worse in recent years.  I prefer Fullers ESB to their Pride, and I entirely agree about Wherry - vinegar.  Such a shame for a brewery that can produce good beers like Nelson's Revenge, Norfolk Nog, and my favourite Headcracker.

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

I will drink coke before I will EVER drink ANYTHING from Green King. I dislike their business model intensely !

• Like 2

Have you any idea of the "business models" of the brewers who's beer you do drink? Come to that I'd be very interested in  your views regarding the Coke Cola empire.

I drink beer for flavour, not for their business models. I'd drink beer brewed by Garden slugs if it tasted good, hell if ever Dr Packman were to start brewing, I'd sample his, even though his Dark Mild would actually be Pale Bitter (but only for marketing purposes).

Nope, I stand by my statement that to my palate a well kept pint of Greene King IPA served not too cold is as good a pint as you could wish for.

Oh!! That's a pity, I quite like Pedigree. :(

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Have you any idea of the "business models" of the brewers who's beer you do drink? Come to that I'd be very interested in  your views regarding the Coke Cola empire.

I drink beer for flavour, not for their business models. I'd drink beer brewed by Garden slugs if it tasted good, hell if ever Dr Packman were to start brewing, I'd sample his, even though his Dark Mild would actually be Pale Bitter (but only for marketing purposes).

Nope, I stand by my statement that to my palate a well kept pint of Greene King IPA served not too cold is as good a pint as you could wish for.

Oh!! That's a pity, I quite like Pedigree. :(

Did you not notice the lower case 'C' ?

I'm with Pops and Rick all the way with Greene King. They are cunning as well, some beers are badged Westgate Brewery and don't forget the once great Nottingham beers from Hardy and Hanson are now all Greene King. All the "hen" products are GK too. I avoid the stuff like the plague. 

• Like 1