Tv Last Night (29/12/17)

LizG

Did anyone watch the home movies of Morecombe and Wise last night on BBC2.  Included brief footage of Eric on the Broads with family and friends towards the end of the programme.  Think they were at Yarmouth Yacht Station as you could see the old railway bridge and then on the lower Bure........... I was led to believe some modern day filming was undertaken with the family but unless there are more programmes to follow, it hit the cutting room!

I well remember the short one of the two, the one with the hairy legs, a regular visitor to the Waveney River Centre for a couple of summers. I first met him when he came marching into the shop and asking about having his toilet pumped out. That simple request quickly developed into high speed, off the cuff repartee between the two of us. Hilarious and not one single swear word. One of the most likable 'stars' that used to visit the Broads back in the 1970s. 

• Like 1

Another Broads regular back then was Peggy Mount, what a character! Short in stature, warm in personality & deep in voice. Her idea of a holiday, so it seemed, was to be cook for the week, so long as there was a cooking sherry to hand. Very quiet and unobtrusive, often dressed all in black, my shop opened at 7-30 a.m., she'd quickly nip from the hire boat that she was aboard across to the shop before we were busy. She was pleased to be recognised but equally pleased to be ignored. However, if the shop was otherwise empty she'd chat away in her deep voice, a delightful person whom I was always pleased to have in my shop, I was also something of a fan, Peggy was a really nice woman. 

They did some filming in the summer.Eric and his family son and daughter plus two of their friends had a holiday on the Broads. The son the daughter and the two friends were on  Lady Christina for the day around Horning reliving some of their memories. I am not sure when it is due ti air, I will attempt to find out.

On ‎30‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 22:10, JennyMorgan said:

Another Broads regular back then was Peggy Mount, what a character! Short in stature, warm in personality & deep in voice. Her idea of a holiday, so it seemed, was to be cook for the week, so long as there was a cooking sherry to hand. Very quiet and unobtrusive, often dressed all in black, my shop opened at 7-30 a.m., she'd quickly nip from the hire boat that she was aboard across to the shop before we were busy. She was pleased to be recognised but equally pleased to be ignored. However, if the shop was otherwise empty she'd chat away in her deep voice, a delightful person whom I was always pleased to have in my shop, I was also something of a fan, Peggy was a really nice woman. 

Peggy who?? :default_smiley-angelic002: :default_norty:

Grace

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, w-album said:

I have just watched Michael Portillo on his train journeys visit Wroxham and sailing on Olive briefly tonight

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09l5kf0/great-british-railway-journeys-series-9-1-cromer-to-cambridge

Good memories, we had that wherry for my number four daughter's wedding, lovely way of travelling!

Way back in time Olive's owner's daughter worked at Penthouse, spent a lot of time aboard back then!!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, w-album said:

I have just watched Michael Portillo on his train journeys visit Wroxham and sailing on Olive briefly tonight

I watched that too - largely because there was nothing much else on.

I don't know who ever told him that you can sail a wherry single-handed but I am glad they didn't ask him to have a go!

Otherwise I thought it was quite a pleasant piece. I noticed B.A. managed to get in on the act as well!

3 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

I watched that too - largely because there was nothing much else on.

I don't know who ever told him that you can sail a wherry single-handed but I am glad they didn't ask him to have a go!

Otherwise I thought it was quite a pleasant piece. I noticed B.A. managed to get in on the act as well!

Michael looked fairly knackered when he and one other hoisted the sail so I don't see any great risk of him sailing single handed. I've forgotten his name now but one of the skippers on White Moth used to regularly sail her singlehandedly.

9 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Michael looked fairly knackered when he and one other hoisted the sail so I don't see any great risk of him sailing single handed. I've forgotten his name now but one of the skippers on White Moth used to regularly sail her singlehandedly.

Well that does surprise me! I have done a lot of single handed sailing but I would never think of trying it on a wherry. Surely you couldn't raise or lower the sail without someone at the mast on the winch and someone else aft on the gaff line and the mainsheet?

On 30/12/2017 at 22:10, JennyMorgan said:

Peggy Mount was a great actress, probably best known for the film ‘Sailor Beware’. Quite a scary character in that. I see the whole film is on you tube so you young ‘uns could get an idea of what some mums really were like! 

31 minutes ago, vanessan said:

Peggy Mount was a great actress, probably best known for the film ‘Sailor Beware’. Quite a scary character in that. I see the whole film is on you tube so you young ‘uns could get an idea of what some mums really were like! 

I have just tried to watch it bit it wasn't working correctly, the screen had no colour.

I'll wait till they fix it and watch it then.