Using/changing Gas Bottles

I have never used gas bottles, for anything... ever!

Common sense of course is step one and I understand that escaped gas can sink to the bilge. My boat has one canister, it's in a dedicated gas bottle locker and all looks well. Apart from not being able to make a cup of tea, how do I know when it's empty (or getting empty)? Do all bottles have the same gas in them? How do I know what to buy?

This really feels like the proverbial silly question but after all it is gas so I think it's worth asking rather than experimenting!

Ray, the only real way of knowing is when it runs out.......most people carry 2 bottles (is there room in your locker for two)

A gas locker should have a bottom vent hose that vents outside your boat.....if you can see a vent whole in the bottom of your gas locker  pour some water down it  and see where it comes out......this will prove that it is vented and its not blocked.....replace like with like you probably have a small calor bottle Red or Blue ....which do you have ?

Hello Ray,

There are two types as already stated Red & Blue, red is propane and blue bottles are butane, both of these types of gas have different connections to the bottles and are run at slightly different pressures. The red fitting goes into the fitting at the top of the bottle connection, the blue screws onto the outside of the bottle fitting. If you do not have a gas bottle spanner you will need to purchase one. 

If you do have space for a spare bottle then just make sure the rubber pipe  is long enough to change over the bottles. You could have fitted a new regulator that has a pressure gauge on it, these are usually just used as a guide, the ones on the market are cheap and are not that great.

Some systems may have two connection pipes and flexible connections to go to each bottle, they also additional valves to control each bottle, the danger here is that you can have both bottles in use and of course run out of gas on both bottles, the best policy is to use one bottle at a time.

If the system has been tested fully then you may be able to leave the gas on overnight, at one time we would even turn the gas off if cruising. If you leave the boat then turn the gas off at the bottle.

Regards

Alan

22 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Just to add to this thread....Some gas bottles are GREEN too! Usually Butane and are PlusGas I believe.

Hi Bill, 

Yes I had forgotten about those, are they green with a red top? you see them at a number of garages in cages, yet another connection and I think they are used for barbecues etc and a few few small appliances.

Regards

Alan

It may also be worth checking in case you have a gas leak.Our first boat (Which was new).We had between 5 and 7 leaks.It was soon sorted out.Bottles come in sizes we have 2 ×12 Lts.Its well worth  having 2 bottles on board.For piece of mind get your gas checked.If you have a friendly marina ask someone to have a look and or an engineer. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Hello Ray,

There are two types as already stated Red & Blue, red is propane and blue bottles are butane, both of these types of gas have different connections to the bottles and are run at slightly different pressures. The red fitting goes into the fitting at the top of the bottle connection, the blue screws onto the outside of the bottle fitting. If you do not have a gas bottle spanner you will need to purchase one. 

If you do have space for a spare bottle then just make sure the rubber pipe  is long enough to change over the bottles. You could have fitted a new regulator that has a pressure gauge on it, these are usually just used as a guide, the ones on the market are cheap and are not that great.

Some systems may have two connection pipes and flexible connections to go to each bottle, they also additional valves to control each bottle, the danger here is that you can have both bottles in use and of course run out of gas on both bottles, the best policy is to use one bottle at a time.

If the system has been tested fully then you may be able to leave the gas on overnight, at one time we would even turn the gas off if cruising. If you leave the boat then turn the gas off at the bottle.

Regards

Alan

If you are going to leave it switched on I'd suggest a "gas sniffer" in the bilge.

3 hours ago, Ray said:

Left handed thread! That's good to know in advance - thank you.

You can normally tell it is left handed thread as there is what looks like a saw cut between each of the flats on the union nut.

You also have Flogas, not all bottles are screw fittings some have a quick release connection and you can get two different sizes.  A photo of your set up would be good because once we know the type we can suggest places to get them.

i have flogas with a quick release connection and I get mine from Boulter’s in Horning.

Doug

Edited by brundallNavy
  • Like 1

post the photo, a butane bottle will not be ok on a propane system, propane is red/orange ,butane is blue ,these gases do not use the same burning pressures, and have different fittings ( the bit that screws into the bottle), sounds complicated but it ain,t,should look like these.................

bottle one.jpg

propane.jpgNote the different weights, propane burns hotter, so...you don,t need as much!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ray said:

I'll get a photo tomorrow, there's more possibilities than I thought. I like Boulter's by the way, very helpful and patient with a new owner :1310_thumbsup_tone1:

Boulter's are  very nice folk and in the past iv exchanged a calor bottle there for flow gas or possibly the other way around its a long time ago, but the point is,some yards are strictly calor only brooms for example .

Not to worry though you will use surprisingly little gas in a yr , as a full time live aboard  I use around 2x 13kg propane bottles per yr n no I don't do salad so that includes 365 days cooking ( on less I ever find the superbly hidden BBQ :default_biggrin:).

That's very kind Diesel Falcon, thank you very much! I'll remember to follow your advice and check for leaks!

Ricardo, sounds like a bottle will last us a lifetime lol Tea, coffee and the occasional light meal/snack is all I think we'll be using. Very lucky to live quite near our boat so most cruises are day trips.. with several longer cruises planned for later in the year though, intend to enjoy every inch of The Broads :14_relaxed:

• Like 1

Just to add my bit. 

To know how much gas is left you need to weigh the bottle. Most bottles have a disc round the neck that gives its nett weight. So, for example, if you have one of the small bottles shown above and your bottle weighs 12kg empty and currently weighs 15kg you have three kg of gas left. It's not foolproof but is a very good guide.

To weigh the bottles use fishing scales. They will hook under the handle nicely. 

The health and safety bit. Don't drop it!!!