Oyster Marine

Labrador

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

It wasn't there yesterday when we went by. The place looked deserted.

I was corrected, out of date as to who now builds Oysters..

Mind if I ever had Oyster money it would go south to Ipswich and Spirit Yachts, the epitome of quality and workmanship in my books.

21 hours ago, marshman said:

Reminded a bit of how many times Westerly went bust, and then reincarnated. Probably about 3/4 times to my knowledge. Probably something will come out of all this - they are good boats and likely to continue in a much reduced size ( not the boat!! ) methinks.

Westerly Marine Construction, Westerly Yachts, and i believe GK Yachts, which were their performance yachts.  And, they were built in Waterlooville in Hampshire, about 10 miles inland from Portsmouth.  A bit like one of the major manufacturers of 40+ years back being based in Wallisdown on the Northern side of Poole, about 5 miles inland from the harbour. The name "Southern Ocean Shipyard" comes to mind, but not sure on that.

Southern Ocean Shipyards built the Ocean range, the only one I can think of was the Ocean 60 which was a beautiful boat. I had my Centaur at Cobbs Quay above the bridge and sometimes we would see new ones near Town Quay. I then moved moorings to Ridge Wharf near Wareham as the bridge really was a pain. The joke that Ocean was the butt of in those days was the company acronym was SOS.. I think the holding company was originally called Southern Ocean Suppliers and were chandlers, but not sure on that one.

Interesting article in the Times today about Oyster's troubles which may or may not be about a potential damages claim from the loss of the Polina Star in 2015, and subsequently a counterclaim against an unidentified 3rd party. I guess it will all come out in the wash somewhere along the line, but probably a bit more than that methinks.

My guess is that foreign money is not just flowing into the UK as it was, for whatever reason. Difficult to judge why really rich people are seemingly not spending so much at the moment, but I would not like to be trying to sell some of London's mega properties at the moment - people really hate uncertainty and there is some of that around at the moment.  I suspect that may be impacting Brooms as well hence the switch to selling land for houses - and that was no surprise either.

Difficult times possibly ahead for the upper end - that could so easily roll over into other areas?

• Like 5

Regarding Brooms, as Marsh has suggested, the sale of land, hardly surprising, but are they not asset strippers? 

The world of big business, not one that I comprehend nor, in all honesty, have much admiration for. This one looks likes it's going to go sour and the investors are running scared. 

As for Hoveton, a qualty skills base, regretfully now dependent on the whims of the money men rather than their ability to produce outstanding products. Funny old world. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Regarding Brooms, as Marsh has suggested, the sale of land, hardly surprising, but are they not asset strippers? 

The world of big business, not one that I comprehend nor, in all honesty, have much admiration for. This one looks likes it's going to go sour and the investors are running scared. 

As for Hoveton, a qualty skills base, regretfully now dependent on the whims of the money men rather than their ability to produce outstanding products. Funny old world. 

As I've discovered, building a business based around people buying large, expensive things that they don't need can be a somewhat risky proposition.

• Like 1