Cyclists

Wyndham

Don't pay to use the roads, ride two abreast, undertake, appear from nowhere, slow me down, look stupid trying to be Bradley Wiggins, Chris Froome, Laura Kenny (Trott)

or maybe I'm just being a selfish car driver who should have a look at myself.

Away you go....

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

when I learned to ride a bike, it was drummed into me to stop at junctions, traffic lights etc, this stood me in great stead when I moved up to motorbikes, and yet again when I started driving cars.

I just dont understand the mentality of the ones that just sail through the lights, and across junctions and pedestrian crossings.

the only 3 cyclists who had the gumption to look embarrased when they sailed out from behind a hedge straight over a pedestrian crossing were the 3 police cyclists, luckily I was used to that crossing so had slowed right down and just stopped in time.

I'll accept some cyclists yes but not all , I do consider myself rather considerate of other road users and pedestrians too , some cyclists ain't even respectful to other cyclists , a few months back I had a car coming towards me overtaking a line of parked cars , no problem there was plenty of room right up till a cyclist decided to overtake the car n head straight for me , plan B ie the hedge beckoned but luckily wasn't needed ( just ) . 

I think if you realise your responsible for your own safety rather than expecting other drivers/cyclists/pedestrians to take care of it for you then you should make a good cyclist.

Can we start a thread about dangerous drivers as I see so many of those I sometimes wonder if the driving test has been introduced in Suffolk. 

• Like 1

I think you forgot to mention that cyclists are colour blind and traffic lights don't register in their heads. But on another note, any cyclist or car driver that wears dark sunglasses on a full cloudy dark day, seriously needs their heads tested.

I followed a 7 series BMW back from Bury St Eds on the 143 on Saturday and he was wandering all over the road, coming up behind him at roundabouts I could see him looking down into his lap, twice he almost veered into on coming traffic on the stretch up to the McDonalds roundabout at Gillingham.

Obviously more interested in his phone. 

55 minutes ago, Wyndham said:

Don't pay to use the roads, ride two abreast, undertake, appear from nowhere, slow me down, look stupid trying to be Bradley Wiggins, Chris Froome, Laura Kenny (Trott)

or maybe I'm just being a selfish car driver who should have a look at myself.

Away you go....

Absolute crap. You`re NOT a selfish car driver who needs to take a look at yourself, you`re a tax cow who pays for everything, including the roads that have dedicated cycle lanes, that cyclists don`t pay for, and also have priority over road tax paying motorists at traffic light junctions with their cycle sections across the whole lane in front of the motorists. And YES, i do ride a mountain bike, but accept the fact that also as a motorist, i pay for everybody.

What bugs me is that stupid cyclists pressure group that actually want EVERY accident involving a cyclist and a motorist is automatically the motorists fault........ yeah right.  

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, KaptinKev said:

I think you forgot to mention that cyclists are colour blind and traffic lights don't register in their heads. But on another note, any cyclist or car driver that wears dark sunglasses on a full cloudy dark day, seriously needs their heads tested.

Just out of interest, do you know why (serious) cyclists wear glasses, dark or otherwise?

11 minutes ago, KaptinKev said:

That could be extended to motorcyclists with dark visors too , I always carried a spare clear visor for when the conditions dictated .

Did actually see someone walk into a lampposts once over wearing sunglasses on a dark day n yea OK I did laugh :default_biggrin:

8 minutes ago, Wyndham said:

Just out of interest, do you know why (serious) cyclists wear glasses, dark or otherwise?

Because lycra and sunglasses are the Tour de France thing at the moment, or is it because they like to ride their bikes towards me on a t junction and blame me for being there.

34 minutes ago, KaptinKev said:

Because lycra and sunglasses are the Tour de France thing at the moment, or is it because they like to ride their bikes towards me on a t junction and blame me for being there.

That's two answers, I sense you're  taking a guess here. :default_biggrin:

As someone who has many ,justified, reasons to dislike cyclists being both a resident of Cambridge (The cycling capital of the uk) and a taxi driver I find myself in the unusual position of having to defend them.

All payers of tax and council tax pay towards the roads , yes including cyclists , the tax you pay for your car is an environmental tax and not a road tax , it hasn’t been that for years.

More cycles = less cars and less traffic for us car drivers to suffer.

yes currently councils seem to be installing more and more dedicated cycle lanes , and cycles do not have to use them , often the cycle lanes are more pitted than the roads and invariably also have storm grates in them .

i would however like to see cycles have to display identification plates , have third party insurance and be prosecuted if they fail to display lights after dark , fail to stop at red lights and pedestrian crossings .

not all cyclists behave badly and are often mindful and courteous to other road users , and not all motorists behave in a gentlemanly (or ladylike) manner 

• Like 3