Tv Licence

Wyndham

As it's the time of year that our favourite Auntie is asking for funds, it got me thinking.

If I don't have a TV licence and hire a boat with a TV on it am I allowed to watch it?

If I have a licence and lend my boat to someone without a licence can they watch the TV?

Mr Google says 'If you watch or record TV programmes in a second home which is a touring caravan or vehicle, or a boat, you do not need a separate TV Licence; you will be covered by the TV Licence for your main residence"

Correct Mr Google knows all lol

4 minutes ago, PastorsDayOff said:

Technically, it’s a TV reception licence, but is there actually anywhere on the Broads you can pick up a decent TV reception?

We've tried to get a decent picture for over 30 years.................................

I suppose we should buy a television!

• Haha 2

It's horses for courses. Yes I love being on the boards, yes I love being in the broadland pubs, but a TV on the boat keeps me on the boat and out of the pub.... well in the evenings anyway.

For those who wish to shun the TV while on the broads... Shun away. for those who want to practice the noble are of angling, angle away,   but please try not to look down on we, who for one reason or another decide that watching the idiots lantern for the evening is a pleasure.

• Like 5

I was afraid if I posted about our lack of television it may seem I was trying to criticise those who have them on their boats - but like an idiot went ahead anyway. It was an attempt at humour. I do watch plenty at home especially since I retired . When on the boat our lifestyle is completely different. Maybe in the future we will have one but not yet. Everybody enjoy the Broads as you want to as long as it doesn't disturb others.

• Like 1

Each to their own. I have watched TV on boats many times. Today I’m more likely to watch something downloaded on computer or iPad, but generally I don’t bother, though I am a regular couch potato at home.

But here are the rules as I understand them from a previous life (job) I don’t like to talk about.

If you are using your own TV on your own boat, then you are covered by your home TV licence. If you lend your boat to someone else, they are covered under your TV licence, just as if you were to lend them your house for a holiday. 

If you rent your boat out, that’s a different story, you need a licence to cover the boat, just as the boatyards and hotels will have, which enables someone without a TV licence to watch TV on the boat or hotel room they rent.

It is the difference between renting or lending/borrowing; which is why, if you rent a room in your house out to a student, they need to have their own TV licence.

Now I’ve got that out my system I need a coffee. Now where did I put that remote?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't worry John, I enjoyed your post. but it is one of those things that brings out the little devil ion some people.

I have met some people over the years who have very strange ideas regarding TV, including one married couple who still rent their TV as they refuse to own one!!  The friend with whom I'm currently staying had claimed for years that he and his mother "hardly ever watch TV. Odd that because it gets turned on first thing in the morning (for the news and weather) and doesn't get switched off until they go to bed!

There seems to exist a form of one-upmanship from those who prefer not to have a TV on a boat, which I have to admit I don't really understand. I hear (or read) comments like "We prefer to look out at our lovely broads" or "I come to the broads to get away from the likes of Coronation Street".

If I wanted to get away from Corrie, I'd change the channel or switch the TV off. I wouldn't have to escape to a different life-style.

For my part, back in the 90s early noughties, I went very close to alcoholism. I gave up booze for ten years. My TV on the boat enables me (as a solo boater) to stay on my boat in the evenings especially in poor weather, and not be tempted to spend the evenings in the pub. It helps me keep control. Yes, I still get P* as a newt when on holiday, but not every day.

In many of my posts these days I find myself saying "Each to their own" and this is yet another one. :-)

Edited to add, While typing this, Pastersdayoff posted above, and how did his post start? :-D

• Like 1

Just as a P.S. to my previous post; detector vans, of which there are only a few shared round the country, only target homes, and only those that don’t have a listed licence. If you’re not sure if your boat is covered, then mudweight and just watch them try to get one near to you! 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, PastorsDayOff said:

Just as a P.S. to my previous post; detector vans, of which there are only a few shared round the country, only target homes, and only those that don’t have a listed licence. If you’re not sure if your boat is covered, then mudweight and just watch them try to get one near to you! 

The TV detector vans were fakes, probably borrowed from the BBC props department. Funny how you never saw a detector van when Dr Who was on as we all know that was live broadcasting in those days. 

18 minutes ago, Philosophical said:

The TV detector vans were fakes, probably borrowed from the BBC props department. Funny how you never saw a detector van when Dr Who was on as we all know that was live broadcasting in those days.

Park one up outside a post office though, and there would be a mile long line of people suddenly appear all apparently needing to renew their TV licences. 

1 minute ago, PastorsDayOff said:

Park one up outside a post office though, and there would be a mile long line of people suddenly appear all apparently needing to renew their TV licences. 

yes, it was a wonderful deterrent, some of the propaganda surrounding its use was that it could even identify a single television being viewed in a block of flats also that it could detect a TV that was switched off and the aerial disconnected. 

17 minutes ago, Philosophical said:

some of the propaganda surrounding its use was

In the 60's/70's every TV sold or rented by every firm had to be recorded on a green form (cant remember what it was called) then sent to the post office monthly. So they knew who a tv and the model serial no etc.  It was quite a big fine for non compliance by the selling firm, ot omitting any off the form.

Back in the day the detector vans did have equipment that could detect the line timebase oscillator from a CRT TV when switched on however it was difficult to use, had a limited range and not directionally accurate. In realty the equipment was rarely switched on, the guys in the vans just had a list of properties that had licences and knocked on the doors of the ones not on the list. They had no powers of entry but were very well trained at getting people to incriminate themselves.

I worked with a chap who wouldn't have a TV at home for religious reasons,he used to look forward to the regular visits from the licensing authorities who didn't believe a family with five kids didn't have a box. I think they gave up in the end.