September Hire

millsy45

Hi all

I am new to the NBN and I am visiting the Broads for the first time in September. I have been longing to visit and hire a boat at the Broads for a long time and I hope to come back many moor(!) times in the future. Can I ask for some recommendations please?

I am visiting with my wife, mother in law, father in law and two and a half year old, staying on the San Francisco (anyone hired before?) from Richardson’s for seven nights.

A major concern of mine is trying to entertain my little one if the weather is bad. Can anyone suggest some day trips/places to visit if the weather is not great? Also, I am looking for some nice cruising routes (probably in the North for the seven nights) that we cruise for four hours a day. I don’t think I’ll be able to entertain the little one for long. I would ideally like to do a wild moor or a mud weight mooring too.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly received.

Many thanks

Sean

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network

• Like 2

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Were out on the 7th of Sept from Richardson, Sorry not up on places to entertain little darlings but if the weather good a quick train ride to the coast for the afternoon from Wroxham.

But on your last afternoon on the way back to Stalham take a slow trip up to Dilham, In May we had a otter swimming round and deer on the left bank then in the field on the right where you'll see a mooring area which is were we tend to stay on the last night.

• Like 1

Hello Sean welcome to the forum.

Here is a link to the Richardson's website and San Francisco:-

https://www.richardsonsboatingholidays.co.uk/boats/san-francisco/

As Siddy says you can get a train the to Yarmouth, lowestoft or visit Norwich, the service is excellent and not expensive.

Here is a link for activities for children in Norfolk:-

https://www.dayoutwiththekids.co.uk/things-to-do/east/norfolk   

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

Hi Sean, and welcome along!

I've done a number of short breaks and 7 day trips on the northern Broads. If you check out the holiday tales section you will find some good ideas of the kind of routes that people have taken.

It depends what time you get away from the yard after handover as to how far you might want to go on the first night - I know that on our first hire, one hour was enough for me to get the hang of the boat and then it was nice to get moored up and sorted out. Maybe consider How Hill as there's plenty of land to get your little one off for a run around.

The rest of the week will take care of itself ... maybe book a mooring at The New Inn in Horning one day as that is a great place to eat and there are amusements for children. And you can do a bit of shopping in Horning while you're there. Salhouse Broad is another ideal spot for overnight when you want to be able to get onto land. And if you can get in at Ranworth one night again you can walk down the board walk to the visitor centre or up to the church. 

Top tip ... take holdalls or other bags rather than suitcases, it saves so much room on board the boat. And have some cash with you so that you can moor at places like Salhouse Broad and Ranworth Island where there is a charge for both overnight and any lunchtime stops.

I'm sure you'll have a great time and be booking that next trip as soon as you get home! :)

• Like 4

Hi Millsy, and welcome to the forum. 

There`s also the minature gauge steam railway that runs from Hoveton (Wroxham), and runs up to Aylsham, which used to be the original head of navigation on the Bure Navigation (the canalised Bure above Coltishall Lock),  which might be interesting to a toddler?.   At salhouse Broad, there is a bit of open space where you may have enough room to kick a ball around or play with a frisbie etc.  And at the moorings at The Stracey wind pump, there are often goats walking along the bank, KIDS love animals.

• Like 2

Think if you invest in some new toys for your little one.      Not large toys or too many bits to lose.      Mine at that age were quite happy bashing a saucepan bottom with a wooden spoon.   (will drive you nuts but will keep little one amused for while)   It is surprising what you can conjure up out of nothing.    Dont worry a few more years and it will be easier.     Make sure your little one always wears a life jacket  ,  you know what slippery little devils they can be when your back is turned and can quickly escape.        Remember this post is coming from a Nanny and I am not very modern as far as little ones are concerned.   

• Like 4

Hi and welcome. My children are grown up now but both have been coming to the Broads since they were very young. They both enjoyed simply playing in open spaces next to moorings. There's been some good suggestions so far, to which I'd add the Waveney River Centre swimming pool if you do decide to venture south. 

I hired San Francisco 1 in 2014 with just myself and my wife aboard. It's a lovely boat. The aft cabin has a luxury feel to it and the centre cockpit area is comfortable and spacious. On that design I really like the side hatch next to the helmsman's seat which is great to have when the roof is closed. My only complaint was a minor one - the roof was winch-operated and is set up in such a way as you need many windings of the handle to make the roof inch along very slowly. This makes lowering and raising the roof a little more effort than it should be. 

• Like 2

Hi and welcome to the forum.
Were out on the 7th of Sept from Richardson, Sorry not up on places to entertain little darlings but if the weather good a quick train ride to the coast for the afternoon from Wroxham.
But on your last afternoon on the way back to Stalham take a slow trip up to Dilham, In May we had a otter swimming round and deer on the left bank then in the field on the right where you'll see a mooring area which is were we tend to stay on the last night.

Hi Siddy, thank you for the suggestion of the coast, she would sure love that. And the otter, wow - didn’t realise the wildlife you can get at the Broads.

• Like 1

Hello Sean welcome to the forum.
Here is a link to the Richardson's website and San Francisco:-
https://www.richardsonsboatingholidays.co.uk/boats/san-francisco/
As Siddy says you can get a train the to Yarmouth, lowestoft or visit Norwich, the service is excellent and not expensive.
Here is a link for activities for children in Norfolk:-
https://www.dayoutwiththekids.co.uk/things-to-do/east/norfolk   
Regards
Alan

Thanks for the links Alan, I will definitely take a look.

Hi Sean, and welcome along!
I've done a number of short breaks and 7 day trips on the northern Broads. If you check out the holiday tales section you will find some good ideas of the kind of routes that people have taken.
It depends what time you get away from the yard after handover as to how far you might want to go on the first night - I know that on our first hire, one hour was enough for me to get the hang of the boat and then it was nice to get moored up and sorted out. Maybe consider How Hill as there's plenty of land to get your little one off for a run around.
The rest of the week will take care of itself ... maybe book a mooring at The New Inn in Horning one day as that is a great place to eat and there are amusements for children. And you can do a bit of shopping in Horning while you're there. Salhouse Broad is another ideal spot for overnight when you want to be able to get onto land. And if you can get in at Ranworth one night again you can walk down the board walk to the visitor centre or up to the church. 
Top tip ... take holdalls or other bags rather than suitcases, it saves so much room on board the boat. And have some cash with you so that you can moor at places like Salhouse Broad and Ranworth Island where there is a charge for both overnight and any lunchtime stops.
I'm sure you'll have a great time and be booking that next trip as soon as you get home! :)

Hi SawnR. How Hill sounds like a great choice. I will be researching all of the suggestions so we have plenty of options. And I plan to be booking once back home :) Thanks for the comments.

• Like 1

Hi Millsy, and welcome to the forum. 
There`s also the minature gauge steam railway that runs from Hoveton (Wroxham), and runs up to Aylsham, which used to be the original head of navigation on the Bure Navigation (the canalised Bure above Coltishall Lock),  which might be interesting to a toddler?.   At salhouse Broad, there is a bit of open space where you may have enough room to kick a ball around or play with a frisbie etc.  And at the moorings at The Stracey wind pump, there are often goats walking along the bank, KIDS love animals.

We like miniature railways so that’s definitely on the list. Good shout about the goats, that could be a trick up the sleeve!! Thanks SPEEDTRIPLE

Think if you invest in some new toys for your little one.      Not large toys or too many bits to lose.      Mine at that age were quite happy bashing a saucepan bottom with a wooden spoon.   (will drive you nuts but will keep little one amused for while)   It is surprising what you can conjure up out of nothing.    Dont worry a few more years and it will be easier.     Make sure your little one always wears a life jacket  ,  you know what slippery little devils they can be when your back is turned and can quickly escape.        Remember this post is coming from a Nanny and I am not very modern as far as little ones are concerned.   

Hi Hylander, thank you for the post. So you’re very much like her Nanna who will give her anything to make a racket! I’ll have to make sure we have nice neighbours before letting her loose on pots and pans! :)

a warm :default_welcome: to the NBN Millsy45 from me and the Wench (some call her Inge) enjoy your time afloat i am sure the little one will enjoy just being afloat. But if not there are quite a few suggestions above.

Charlie

Hi Bound2Please & the Wench :) thanks for the welcome and for the post.

• Like 1

Hi and welcome. My children are grown up now but both have been coming to the Broads since they were very young. They both enjoyed simply playing in open spaces next to moorings. There's been some good suggestions so far, to which I'd add the Waveney River Centre swimming pool if you do decide to venture south. 
I hired San Francisco 1 in 2014 with just myself and my wife aboard. It's a lovely boat. The aft cabin has a luxury feel to it and the centre cockpit area is comfortable and spacious. On that design I really like the side hatch next to the helmsman's seat which is great to have when the roof is closed. My only complaint was a minor one - the roof was winch-operated and is set up in such a way as you need many windings of the handle to make the roof inch along very slowly. This makes lowering and raising the roof a little more effort than it should be. 

Hi Broads01, thank you so much for this. It’s a great help and it’s nice hearing that others have brought their kids up visiting the Broads. I hope it’s not going to be a daunting as I first thought. The info on the boat looks very handy too, I’ll make sure that I busy myself with other things when the roof is lowered/raised :)

• Like 1

Hi Sean & Welcome to the forum 

If you check out the forum full site you will find a Handy Information section right at the top of the page. There is an Attractions & Places to visit section in there with all kinds of links & Information that you might find useful

September is a great time on the Broads, we will always go for 2 weeks at the end of the month

David

A0CD6AA7-D183-4509-9F7F-ABEE606C9C81.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Hello Sean

A very warm welcome aboard our forum

I was raised on Broads holidays since the age of six and now take my own little ones afloat and they absolutely love it. All the suggestions above are excellent, not much more I can add really. Jeans suggestion of How Hill is excellent, take a bat and ball and have a game of cricket or rounders, a football with a makeshift goal and see how many goals your little one can score (you will allow in of course) . Spot the duck and swans is a good game too, be warned though there are thousands of them. My two also love fishing but maybe your little one is a tad young for that at the moment

September is a magical time of year to be out on the rivers. I'm sure you and your family will love it and will book another boat as soon as you're back at the yard. I've hired San Fransisco many years ago now, she is a smashing boat, nothing beats cruising with the roof back on a warm day.

I cannot stress enough the importance of wearing a life jacket, all on board should, especially the little one

Richardson's is a brilliant yard to have your first boating adventure from, nothing is too much trouble, anything you're unsure of just ask, they will be more than happy to help and ease your mind

Have a lovely holiday

Grace

• Like 4

13 hours ago, millsy45 said:

We like miniature railways so that’s definitely on the list. Good shout about the goats, that could be a trick up the sleeve!! Thanks SPEEDTRIPLE

Not a hundred yards from the Hoveton and Wroxham station (BR), is the wrongly named Wroxham station of the Bure Valley railway (it's in Hoveton)  https://www.bvrw.co.uk/timetable to which they are refering, more narrow gauge than Minature ,  a few hundred yards from the river and public morings.. 

Almost opposite the station in Hoveton,  is Wroxham Minature Worlds https://wroxhamminiatureworlds.co.uk/ a model railway exhibition,  in Wroxham  is the Barton House railway http://www.bartonhouserailway.org.uk/  which is minature, which has it's own moorings I believe.

8 hours ago, TheQ said:

Not a hundred yards from the Hoveton and Wroxham station (BR), is the wrongly named Wroxham station of the Bure Valley railway (it's in Hoveton)  https://www.bvrw.co.uk/timetable to which they are refering, more narrow gauge than Minature ,  a few hundred yards from the river and public morings.. 

Almost opposite the station in Hoveton,  is Wroxham Minature Worlds https://wroxhamminiatureworlds.co.uk/ a model railway exhibition,  in Wroxham  is the Barton House railway http://www.bartonhouserailway.org.uk/  which is minature, which has it's own moorings I believe.

Hi Q, 

I clicked on the link and got the website up for the (proper) minature railway, but could`nt find any location details, can you tell us exactly where it is please?.