Barnes And Wroxham Bridge

I was watching Day 6 of Russell Thomson's latest adventure (on Brinks Sonnet 3) this morning and I was very surprised to hear what had he had been told by Barnes about Wroxham Bridge. On the day he had arrived he had asked at Barnes' reception for the Bridge Pilot phone number. Amazingly, they told him the pilot didnt take Barnes' boats and that Russell could take the boat through himself if he felt comfortable. Given that all hire operators have, for some years, made the pilot compulsory, what's going on there? 

• Thanks 1

Hi,

Slightly surprised considering they hire to all parties including Stags and Hens that they would allow that given that most yards insist. Perhaps they have had few issues although with 90 boats and with say half or so able to get under strange. Martham boats let you take the boats through as well although most their boats are 6ft or less so should be less of an issue.

Neil

Well on their faq page on their webste they post this:

Passage under bridges. 

Wroxham, Potter Heigham and Beccles all have low bridges through which some boats will not pass at any time (bridge restrictions apply) Water and tidal conditions may alter the clearance of bridges, but check with the height marker near the bridge and then check the height of the boat to see what clearance you have. If there is any doubt please do not hesitate to call a member of our friendly reception team. 01603 782625. 

no mention of using the pilot.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grendel said:

Well on their faq page on their webste they post this:

no mention of using the pilot.

On their interactive map if you click on Wroxham Bridge it says this:

Bridge
Wroxham Road Bridge
River
River Bure
Available height at high water
7' 7" / 2.3m
Notes
Please use a Bridge Pilot. Where possible plan your passage to pass through bridges at low water

2 hours ago, Broads01 said:

I was watching Day 6 of Russell Thomson's latest adventure (on Brinks Sonnet 3) this morning and I was very surprised to hear what had he had been told by Barnes about Wroxham Bridge. On the day he had arrived he had asked at Barnes' reception for the Bridge Pilot phone number. Amazingly, they told him the pilot didnt take Barnes' boats and that Russell could take the boat through himself if he felt comfortable. Given that all hire operators have, for some years, made the pilot compulsory, what's going on there? 

If you call Barnes number and use option 4. They will send one of their staff to take you through. Barnes dontbise bridge pilot. Would normally do it myself but with a boat that’s only been in commission 6 days I used them this morning to get back through from Coltishall as was 7 ft and boat was 6ft 10

• Like 2

When we have hired from Barnes we have taken the boats through Wroxham ourselves. 

We did have to get them to bring us back through though on drop off day when the bridge height gauge was reading 3 inches less then the stated boat air draft!

It went through just but we did have to walk it through.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sonnet is going to be our boat next sept we are an elderly couple now although I feel I could take sonnet through but it’s been 31 years absense so if the pilot doesn’t take Barnes cruisers through what happens then!

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

If you call Barnes number and use option 4. They will send one of their staff to take you through. Barnes dontbise bridge pilot. Would normally do it myself but with a boat that’s only been in commission 6 days I used them this morning to get back through from Coltishall as was 7 ft and boat was 6ft 10

So then next sept if I want to go to Coltishall I will have to ring Barnes and get them to meet me and take us through,what about the return then the same procedure,but why doesn’t the pilot take a Barnes boat through then!

On 07/07/2018 at 17:19, TostockTimonnier said:

On their interactive map if you click on Wroxham Bridge it says this:

Bridge
Wroxham Road Bridge
River
River Bure
Available height at high water
7' 7" / 2.3m
Notes
Please use a Bridge Pilot. Where possible plan your passage to pass through bridges at low water

For the life of me I have never seen 7'7" Under the bridge at high water, low-water maybe

4 hours ago, David4u said:

So then next sept if I want to go to Coltishall I will have to ring Barnes and get them to meet me and take us through,what about the return then the same procedure,but why doesn’t the pilot take a Barnes boat through then!

I suppose 'Barnes Brinkcraft' can't see the point of You or them paying 'Faircraft Loynes' (who I believe run the pilot service) for something they are quite able to do themselves.

Look on the bright side. You can ring 'Barnes Brinkcraft', tell them when you'll be arriving at Wroxham and would like to be piloted through the bridge. Pull over onto their quayside and hopefully someone will be there, to meet and take you through. On leaving Coltishall, ring them again to arrange your return bridge passage. I don't think 'Barnes Brinkcraft' charge, to take their own craft through, so you'll save on the pilot fee too (which I believe is £12 for the return trip).

I suppose 'Barnes Brinkcraft' can't see the point of You or them paying 'Faircraft Loynes' (who I believe run the pilot service) for something they are quite able to do themselves.
Look on the bright side. You can ring 'Barnes Brinkcraft', tell them when you'll be arriving at Wroxham and would like to be piloted through the bridge. Pull over onto their quayside and hopefully someone will be there, to meet and take you through. On leaving Coltishall, ring them again to arrange your return bridge passage. I don't think 'Barnes Brinkcraft' charge, to take their own craft through, so you'll save on the pilot fee too (which I believe is £12 for the return trip).

Hells bells how long has it been since their has been pilot service at Wroxham!

32 minutes ago, David4u said:

Hells bells how long has it been since their has been pilot service at Wroxham!

I reckon it's got to be at least 10 years... I know a lot of people weren't happy at first, to be charged for something, they had been doing without a problem for many years. But, most people now just accept it, abide by the rules and pay up. I guess it's just the way things have been going, over the last few years. The one that really irks me still, is pub's that charge you to moor. I still won't drink or eat at any pub, that charges me to moor...

I reckon it's got to be at least 10 years... I know a lot of people weren't happy at first, to be charged for something, they had been doing without a problem for many years. But, most people now just accept it, abide by the rules and pay up. I guess it's just the way things have been going, over the last few years. The one that really irks me still, is pub's that charge you to moor. I still won't drink or eat at any pub, that charges me to moor...

Agreed totally but in my instance now I might have to pay at The New Inn,I’m by passing the Swan as that’s indeed very popular. My problem is my walking,sadly I can only muster about 5 yards before I have to sit so I’ve a bit of a problem,I can get I hope to ranworth no charge I don’t think,no good going to potter,the falgate is out reach!so many out of my grasp,so what are close are mooring problems then,so it’s food and drink onboard I guess.

37 minutes ago, kingfisher666 said:

Which must be most of the pubs with moorings then! 

26 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

Which must be most of the pubs with moorings then! 

Yeah, just about... But, to be honest I'm not a great drinker anyway, so the pubs would never have made their fortune out of me... :12_slight_smile: We usually only go out to pubs in Beccles & Norwich, where we have friends and like to have a little evening 'get together' with them. Sometimes we'll nip into the 'Nelsons Head' at Horsey, on the way back from the beach, or 'The Lion' at East Somerton, for a couple and very occasionally the 'Queens Head' at Burgh Castle, because it used to be my local, many years ago (a sentimental journey :11_blush:) but that's about it, these days. Forty years ago, when we were in our twenties,  well now that was a whole different story!... :10_wink:

Apologies... I seem to have gone off on one, yet again!... Left the original 'thread' way behind... Waffling again!... :15_yum: