Reedham Ferry

NorfolkNog

There is a video of it, a private boat tried passing the ferry on it's incoming side and got stuck in the chains. Fire service attended.

The helm had an error of judgement it would seem, but his trial by social media is still ongoing

19 minutes ago, Jayfire said:

The helm had an error of judgement it would seem, but his trial by social media is still ongoing.

"Trial by social media is still ongoing"...

Can you imagine, if it had been a hire craft... :34_rolling_eyes:

2 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

We all make mistakes, said the hedgehog as he climbed off the scrubbing brush!

Absolutely, I know I certainly do.

The helm is known to many and apparently very experienced, it appears to be an error of judgement, a costly one I'm sure, but as far as I am aware no-one was hurt.

The keyboard captains on social media are in full flow. Perhaps we should abide by the rules of this forum and avoid speculation, condemnation and codjutation on the subject?  Except to say the ferry is out of action, no one is hurt and there is nothing to see. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, socrates said:

The keyboard captains on social media are in full flow. Perhaps we should abide by the rules of this forum and avoid speculation, condemnation and codjutation on the subject?  Except to say the ferry is out of action, no one is hurt and there is nothing to see. 

I think that I agree, but curiosity might just get the better of me!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The post has been removed now, mainly because the commentators refering to helmsmen as "Muppet, Idiot, etc etc" why do people have to react like this? .. geez makes you want to find a nice broad and escape to...

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, JawsOrca said:

A Privateer who will sadly be very red faced. 

Not necessarily.

"The master of a vessel operating as a ferry shall when crossing
a waterway keep out of the way of any vessel navigating along
the waterway" Broads Navigation bylaws 1995 Para. 26

Does anyone remember when Martin Broom's yacht was hooked by the keel when taking part in the Yare Navigation Race ? There was a man who knew what he was doing. He was something to do with the BA at the time....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Poppy said:

Does anyone remember when Martin Broom's yacht was hooked by the keel when taking part in the Yare Navigation Race ?

I do remember it. I was competing in the same race, on Evening Flight. You are quite right about the byelaws and they are the same as international rules for pilotage waters. The ferry does not have right of way.

Many years before, one of Hearts Cruisers boats was coming down river fast with the tide and was waved on by the ferry skipper. He then started tightening the chains ready to cross, and caught the propellor of the passing boat, the Ace of Hearts. The strain was too much for the keyway on the gearbox coupling and the whole propshaft was pulled out of the back of the boat.

The boat then sank.

• Sad 1

Guys, I'm not just saying this following recent team events but I think we shouldn't say too much as we could defame individuals.. 

My personal experience of the ferry is one with caution and the use of the 160db air horn on a number of occasions.  

• Like 1

Once the ferry has departed is it able to slacken its chains as it would if it were moored?

I would have thought attempting to slacken after departing would only result in them becoming tight again as the pontoon moved up/down river with the tide? 

• Like 1

Back on the day (and it may still be the case, although somewhat bigger than the Reedham version, which ran between Devonpoort and Torpoint. Several Royal Naval vessels with experienced and qualified officers (at least we assumed they were) in command collided with the chains of the ferry. If officers in command of HM Ships can make mistakes, so can the rest of us. To err is human. 

• Like 2

I found the social media reaction pretty disgusting to be honest. If a mistake was made then whoever made it is only human.

I would have thought sympathy a better reaction than condemnation.

For the revord I make lots of mistakes and expect to make many more, I sincerely hope they won't be filmed and ridiculed on social media!

• Like 11

14 minutes ago, Ray said:

I found the social media reaction pretty disgusting to be honest. If a mistake was made then whoever made it is only human.

I would have thought sympathy a better reaction than condemnation.

For the revord I make lots of mistakes and expect to make many more, I sincerely hope they won't be filmed and ridiculed on social media!

Don't count on it, I keep a camera to hand!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I'm not sure if I've been here long enough to intervene Vaughan but I fear you may have misinterpreted the post by Kingfisher666

I read it to mean that there would have been even more unjustified criticism on social media if it had been a hire craft.

• Like 9