• Announcements

Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

You can Sign up or log in with your Facebook account and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

• calender payment

Calendar Paymene

Delivery Options
    Your NBN Forum Username:

• If you would like to support the forum, please consider visiting the forum shop, where you can purchase such items as NBN Burgees, Window Stickers, or even a custom Limited Edition Wooden Throttle Control Knob

Forum Shop

jeffbroadslover

Bb Webcam

Infer red is not visible to the human eye but cameras pick it up. A little experiment you can do is to set your phone to camera mode and while watching the screen, aim your TV remote at it and press one of the buttons.

WARNING If you have infer-red security cameras, these can be detected by burglars aiming their mobile phones at the house. the cameras show up as bright white spots.

• Like 2

Just as a p.s. All I get is a still image with "buffering" permanently displayed. Any suggestions?.

3 hours ago, SwanR said:

*Hoping for totally non-technical explanation* :default_laugh:

Thanks - that's much clearer now! :default_dunce:

Night vision

Infrared is used in night vision equipment when there is insufficient visible light to see.[23] Night vision devices operate through a process involving the conversion of ambient light photons into electrons that are then amplified by a chemical and electrical process and then converted back into visible light.[23] Infrared light sources can be used to augment the available ambient light for conversion by night vision devices, increasing in-the-dark visibility without actually using a visible light source.[23]

The use of infrared light and night vision devices should not be confused with thermal imaging, which creates images based on differences in surface temperature by detecting infrared radiation (heat) that emanates from objects and their surrounding environment.[24]

Seriously though, in the image I posted earlier, you can see the reflection of the light in with windows of boats moored before and after the main subject. Would an infra-red camera reflect as bright as that?

bb.png

• Like 1

On the http link it mentions webcam2. Wonder where or what webcam1 might be!!

11 hours ago, jeffbroadslover said:

MM,   mine is the same with a distorted picture

Jeff

Yep, Mine too

10 hours ago, DAVIDH said:

Seriously though, in the image I posted earlier, you can see the reflection of the light in with windows of boats moored before and after the main subject. Would an infra-red camera reflect as bright as that?

David that was exactly what I am struggling to understand. Because it did look as if the beam of light was moving with the camera as it moved round. Why wouldn't the whole picture look as bright as the central spot?

Imagine you have a conventional torch strapped to your movie camera. Firstly, the centre of the image is where the majority of light will be focussed (so brighter there) and second, the beam will travel with the camera it is attached to. Does that help?

• Thanks 1

It does indeed, although ... the beam of the torch would be visible to everyone not just on the camera ... which leads us back to the original point as to whether the BB webcam is also shining a spotlight in the dark! 

• Like 1

the answer is yes it is shining a spotlight, but that is in the infra red light range, so only visible to the camera, but not to humans.

• Thanks 1

Jean, I don't think either of us will be convinced until someone has human eyes on the location! I am not there until April. Any offers?

• Haha 1

If you try the experiment using your phone and the TV remote control you may see what I'm getting at.

13 hours ago, jeffbroadslover said:

MM,   mine is the same with a distorted picture

Jeff

Which webby browser thingy are you using Jeff?

I loaded firefox and it seems to work on that !