Unplug Then Cast Off!

JennyMorgan

Who would have thought that the must have's of modern boating, could cause such problems. Still, could have been worse, at least the mooring ropes were stowed out of harm's way... :34_rolling_eyes:

At least they don't use parasols on the Broads, like they do on the French canals. Try getting one of those off the prop, with all its wire framework!

It is probably not their own parasol either. It will have blown off another boat, and they seem to float just under the surface, like a giant jellyfish.

As Langford Jillings would say : "You carnt see it, but thass there!"

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

At least they don't use parasols on the Broads, like they do on the French canals. Try getting one of those off the prop, with all its wire framework!

Not a parasol but..... 

I once saw an EW boat lifted  at Upton with an angler's umberella wrapped securely around it's prop. Took some getting off, too.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

It is probably not their own parasol either. It will have blown off another boat, and they seem to float just under the surface, like a giant jellyfish.

As Langford Jillings would say : "You carnt see it, but thass there!"

The wind took ours at Frontignan on the Canal du Rhone a Sete while waiting for the railway bridge to lift.

Hope it didn't end up round one of your props Vaughan.

• Like 1

I once picked up a popup tent, the kind with the spring steel loop that pops out to form the shape, that took some getting off but on outdrives at the time so accessible at least, I had to take the prop off to clear it.

I've done the shore power thing too, I wonder why those people are shouting and pointing, TWANNNGGGG! The lead don't half go past quick when the plug gives way. :default_unsure:

That piccie looks to be a yank going by the plug type.

7 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

Not being used to using on-shore power and having had access to it for the first time on Goosander, I was terrified I would do the same so I made up a laminated sign which I place over the throttle lever to remind me. So far so good!

DSC02773.JPG

I use the same for the mudweight, saves me trying to use the excuse of “it was dirty and I was trying to clean it...”

1 hour ago, DAVIDH said:

Not being used to using on-shore power and having had access to it for the first time on Goosander, I was terrified I would do the same so I made up a laminated sign which I place over the throttle lever to remind me. So far so good!

DSC02773.JPG

We have something similar for our mudweight too, the problem is remembering to put the darn sign out! Only recently we mudweighted on Barton Broad for a few hours and didn’t put the sign up - sure enough, set off dragging it with us! :default_dunce:

I was trying to remember the last time I watched TV on a broads boating holiday. I think it must have been the early/mid seventies. In those days, for the princely sum of two pounds, you could hire a television for the week. The only station we could tune into with a reasonable picture, on the miniscule black & white screen, was Anglia TV. I recall we quite enjoyed watching "Romper Room" with Miss Rosalind, who tried her best to keep an assorted bunch of pre-school kiddiwinks under some sort of control. I believe it was filmed live and over it's half hour running time, often collapsed into chaos and anarchy, we loved it!...

Music was more our thing and a 'radio cassette player' was the latest 'must have' accessory, for our boat. Unfortunately, this was before rechargeable batteries and we spent a small fortune on Ever Ready U2's, to get our fix of Rolling Stones, John Lee Hooker, Dr. Feelgood, or whatever other (untangled) cassettes we had with us...

As time and technology has progressed, the boatyards have tried to keep pace and you can now have a TV with DVD and 'Playstation' thingy in each cabin. Well, you can keep those, but I'm not a complete luddite, I really appreciate being able to charge up my cameras, phone, music player etc.. All this, you can still do with the boats battery bank and a little bit of electrical wizardry. Thank the Lord, we've never yet found it necessary to use an electrical 'umbilical cord', that would be a step too far. I couldn't imagine a Broads boating holiday, where I had to choose my mooring place on the basis of having access to an electric 'hook up' post. Anyway, I can be pretty certain that should I ever use one, sooner rather than later, the bright orange umbilical cord would be ripped from it's post, or worse still... Wrapped around the prop.