Car Talk

LondonRascal

The rain held off!

Onto the fronts, trolley jack to the fore, axle stands at the ready

The front brakes would be easier as no handbrake system to contend with, this will be a breeze - Wrong!

It soon became apparent that previous owners / mechanics had been skimping and not employing 'Best Practise'  There was not a Skerrit of anti seize grease to be seen anywhere, added to that we are dealing with a twenty one year old classic here

Dismantling was proving a battle, so much so that I had to get the serious half inch drive socket set out along with the longer shifter bar.  Getting off the discs was proper challenging, they have a shouldered Allen key bolt on each side.  The offside required releasing agent and a blow torch before it gave up,  Nearside was a tougher 'Nut' to crack, had to hammer in a torx bit to get it turning.  This has of course knackered the bolt, a new pair of bolts will be sourced this week.

The pads are well down - Need new uns.  The discs on t outside seemed acceptable, on the insides they were far from acceptable, again a new pair will be ordered this week.  The callipers and carriers were in a right state, took me ages round at my mates using his blast cabinet to get em cleaned ready for painting.  Both pistons, seals and dust seals were replaced along with bleed nipples

The front rims - looked fine on t outside, the insides however are a veritable nightmare, with the finish parting company and allowing the weather to pit the surface.  All four rims will be refurbished sometime this year

The splash guards etc have cleaned up fine, I have wire brushed, detergent washed and will chemically degrease prior to two coats of paint

Onwards and upwards,

Griff

BA NBN 1265.jpg

BA NBN 1266.jpg

BA NBN 1267.jpg

BA NBN 1268.jpg

BA NBN 1269.jpg

BA NBN 1270.jpg

BA NBN 1271.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bikertov said:

Griff - with all this work you are doing on Zebedee, I hope you paid a decent (ie cheap) price for the car!

Be have yourself Biker you can't value a labour of love only achieve pleasure. Look at his Broad Ambition. So much time and money but a real pleasure for all to see, especially underway with her fenders stowed.

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

• Like 2

Old Parge is going to make an apology to Bikertov as he always sounds like a good egg and I meant no harm. It's just to say when your body becomes to tired to make money it also becomes to tired to make memories.  A perfect balance is to meet your and your loved ones responsibilities to both.

Kindest Regards to All Marge and Parge 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, MargeandParge said:

Old Parge is going to make an apology to Bikertov as he always sounds like a good egg and I meant no harm. It's just to say when your body becomes to tired to make money it also becomes to tired to make memories.  A perfect balance is to meet your and your loved ones responsibilities to both.

Kindest Regards to All Marge and Parge 

No need to apologise whatsover - no offence at all could possibly be taken from your comment.

Likewise I would never dream of questioning Griff for the blood, sweat, tears and love he puts into all of his endeavours. I have had the privilege of seeing Broad Ambition, and reading the story behind her, so know the work and dedication that's behind it all.

My comment on Zebedee was by no means a criticism, only a slightly tongue-in-cheek observation on the efforts Griff is putting into the car  

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Well, if any offence was intended - Non taken :default_smiley-taunt014: :default_biggrin:

I got a great deal on the Zebedee, which is why I couldn't really turn it down.  It was offered to me in 2021 at £1k below book price (Private sale) which I eventually fully paid for Dec 2022 by which time it had increased surprisingly but the seller kept to his side of the deal despite me offering to pull out so he could secure a higher price, which was very good of him

Since I bought it I have spent about £1k on it with more to come, none of which have been labour charges of course.  I could spend another £2:5k and still break even on a sale at todays prices.  However that is not the idea.  This is to be a 'Keeper' for us to enjoy weekends away / touring day trips. 

These Z3's and in particular this model is what's known as an 'Aspiring Classic' With the way the prices are increasing, as long as I look after it, we wont lose a penny piece

Griff

• Like 4

Todays clay shooting this forenoon was a disaster as far as my score goes - Stevie Wonder would have done better :default_2gunsfiring_v1:

Anyroadup this afternoon I got first coated two carriers, two callipers and two splash guards.  Tomorrow I will dive out of work for an hour or so, source / order two discs, pads and retaining screws.  I had a look on the GSF website, far cheaper than I was expecting :default_beerchug:

Griff

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MargeandParge said:

Be have yourself Biker you can't value a labour of love only achieve pleasure. Look at his Broad Ambition. So much time and money but a real pleasure for all to see, especially underway with her fenders stowed.

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

Definitely some grumpy folks on here today 

• Haha 1

Some of us are known to each other outside of fora. 

With Griff and I for around 20 years.

We are both Sailors albeit of different flavours so we understand each other.

So if we want to take the wee wee out of each other for our differing taste in boats, cars, engines or any other blooming thing we blooming well will do. 

As he has said on a different thread I am one of the few people he would trust with his beloved BA and likewise him with my pride and joy.

So please.

Can we get back to extracting the wee wee out of his hairdresser's car.

👍

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, BroadAmbition said:

Well, if any offence was intended - Non taken :default_smiley-taunt014: :default_biggrin:

I got a great deal on the Zebedee, which is why I couldn't really turn it down.  It was offered to me in 2021 at £1k below book price (Private sale) which I eventually fully paid for Dec 2022 by which time it had increased surprisingly but the seller kept to his side of the deal despite me offering to pull out so he could secure a higher price, which was very good of him

Since I bought it I have spent about £1k on it with more to come, none of which have been labour charges of course.  I could spend another £2:5k and still break even on a sale at todays prices.  However that is not the idea.  This is to be a 'Keeper' for us to enjoy weekends away / touring day trips. 

These Z3's and in particular this model is what's known as an 'Aspiring Classic' With the way the prices are increasing, as long as I look after it, we wont lose a penny piece

Griff

When I bought the XK there were some corrosion issues which I spoke about to the guy who had been looking after my XJS since I moved back to Norfolk. I was on my back underneath the car as we were discussing it and his reply was " budget 1.5k and I will sort it for you" 

When I took it to his place he Also identified some paint problems which is his speciality that he could fix. Couple that with a service on a V8 and I shelled out close to 3k . Taking into account the reduction in the purchase price I spent around 1k more and now I have a pristine 20 year old car.

As I was still working full time I did not have the time or I may add the skills required to fix it myself I thought that good value for money.

20 year old sports cars are not cheap things to own. But by heck are they great fun😁

I wish I had Griff's skills 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, FlyingFortress said:

When I bought the XK there were some corrosion issues which I spoke about to the guy who had been looking after my XJS since I moved back to Norfolk. I was on my back underneath the car as we were discussing it and his reply was " budget 1.5k and I will sort it for you" 

When I took it to his place he Also identified some paint problems which is his speciality that he could fix. Couple that with a service on a V8 and I shelled out close to 3k . Taking into account the reduction in the purchase price I spent around 1k more and now I have a pristine 20 year old car.

As I was still working full time I did not have the time or I may add the skills required to fix it myself I thought that good value for money.

20 year old sports cars are not cheap things to own. But by heck are they great fun😁

I wish I had Griff's skills 

What skills is that FF cutting hair Blow drying and Blue rinsing 🤣🤣🤣.. 

• Haha 4

Dashed off at noon from a kitchen tiling job.  Purchased a pair of front discs & pads from GSF today, they had an offer on so total paid was only £64:00 inc vat - Bargain

Had to go to Bmw for the disc securing screws - actually had them in stock - which was a first, £1:99 for the pair - Surprisingly cheap I thought

--------------------------------------------

Yes me and FF often do discus and extract the urine now and again :default_beerchug:

'Hairdressers Car' - Really?

Sir - You have my 'Drivers' car confused with the likes of the MR2 with its tiny engine and Honda S2000, with all its driver aids - Now they really are hairdressers cars

Besides if you saw the state of my thatch where I'm fast taking on the appearance of Gandalf, I'm about as far away from a hairdresser as one could get :default_icon_rolleyes:

Griff

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Dashed off at noon from a kitchen tiling job.  Purchased a pair of front discs & pads from GSF today, they had an offer on so total paid was only £64:00 inc vat - Bargain

Had to go to Bmw for the disc securing screws - actually had them in stock - which was a first, £1:99 for the pair - Surprisingly cheap I thought

--------------------------------------------

Yes me and FF often do discus and extract the urine now and again :default_beerchug:

'Hairdressers Car' - Really?

Sir - You have my 'Drivers' car confused with the likes of the MR2 with its tiny engine and Honda S2000, with all its driver aids - Now they really are hairdressers cars

Besides if you saw the state of my thatch where I'm fast taking on the appearance of Gandalf, I'm about as far away from a hairdresser as one could get :default_icon_rolleyes:

Griff

You have not had the top down have you 😳 braver man than me then.

I did put the top down last week when the sun came out but it was only a local trip.

Heated seats were on and heating off climate control and blowing hot air on my feet 😳

Did you say earlier that Zebedee has a cassette deck AND a CD player?

Mrs FF's last truck had the same. It was an 02 reg. My XK only has the CD multi changer in the boot but it is an 03. I wonder when Jaguar decided to do away with the Cassette deck.

20 minutes ago, FlyingFortress said:

You have not had the top down have you 😳 braver man than me then.

I did put the top down last week when the sun came out but it was only a local trip.

Heated seats were on and heating off climate control and blowing hot air on my feet 😳

Mrs FF's last truck had the same. It was an 02 reg. My XK only has the CD multi changer in the boot but it is an 03. I wonder when Jaguar decided to do away with the Cassette deck.

I'm happy to have my top down from about 10* upwards, so long as it is not raining, or the roof fabric is not wet.

That's what heated seats are for !

My car (an '07 Audi A4 cab) had no cassette but a 6 CD changer on the glovebox, that I don't think I have ever used. Main reason being that I have the optional fit RNSE audio/sat-nav unit that also has 2 SD card slots. Even though they can only support a standard 2GB SD card (not larger capacity SD-HC), I can fit far more albums and random tracks on them than 6 CD's.

I did upgrade the RNSE firmware to support a 3.5mm auxiliary audio input, and bought the head unit connector, I never got round to fitting the 3.5mm jack on the dashboard.

• Like 1

You have not had the top down have you 😳 braver man than me then.

Yes on a few occasions but not driven it lately whilst doing the braking system service

Heated seats were on and heating off climate control and blowing hot air on my feet 😳

Ditto

Yes, a cassette player - Looking forward to using that, its the original one fitted in 02.  The CD player is a multi change thing in t boot - Not used it yet.  Analogue radio of course - No digital from that era

Griff

If the car has a CD changer then you can sometimes get a 'changer emulator' which plugs into the standard loom and allows you to play back tunes from a USB stick / SD card, which you can control from the stock head unit so the facia still looks original.

I've not had a car with a changer for years (and even then I had to fit it) but the emulators seem like quite a neat solution.

• Thanks 1

The wife’s Beetle has a CD player has all the apple play sat nav malarkey aswell what is fab because it must be about 8 years since we had one in a car .. Just got to dig out all the old CDs now 🤣🤣 Talking of cassettes two big boxes in the loft apparently there going for good money now.. it’s the new retro 🤣🤣 there’s nothing worse than listening to a warped stretched cassette and when you eject it it’s all tangled up in side 🤣🤣🤣 Those were the days 🤣🤣 Bloody good ones … Right I’m off for a hair cut  now .. Time to get this grey out and look Retro 🤣🤣🤣👍👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jbx5 said:

No he’s meeting him on the new recently renamed salon in Stalham called Broads Ambitions 😂😂😂😂😂

Oh Noooooo not another hairdresser in Stalham 😳 and there was me thinking that one had closed down as there is a Z3 for sale at Nicholson's. 😁

All joking aside it does look rather smart 👍

4 hours ago, Bikertov said:

I'm happy to have my top down from about 10* upwards, so long as it is not raining, or the roof fabric is not wet.

That's what heated seats are for !

My car (an '07 Audi A4 cab) had no cassette but a 6 CD changer on the glovebox, that I don't think I have ever used. Main reason being that I have the optional fit RNSE audio/sat-nav unit that also has 2 SD card slots. Even though they can only support a standard 2GB SD card (not larger capacity SD-HC), I can fit far more albums and random tracks on them than 6 CD's.

I did upgrade the RNSE firmware to support a 3.5mm auxiliary audio input, and bought the head unit connector, I never got round to fitting the 3.5mm jack on the dashboard.

I was not trying to increase playing capacity as the auto changer stores enough for me and the XK does not have the other port. It is of course oldie worldie analogue radio C/W an electric Ariel 😳 , when was the last time you saw one of those😥

The last one I saw was on my 88 XJS😳

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FlyingFortress said:

You going up to Donny for your hair cut Scrumpy 🤪

Bit to far to go FF time I’d get back it would need cutting again 🤣🤣🤣.. saying that Charlie could shave it all off and paint my head Blue 🤣🤣🤣.. I could be Scrumpy Smurf 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2

If the car has a CD changer then you can sometimes get a 'changer emulator' which plugs into the standard loom and allows you to play back tunes from a USB stick / SD card, which you can control from the stock head unit so the facia still looks original.

Thanks for the advice,

However

You do realise of course that I haven't got a Scooby Doo' what the hell your on about?

Griff

• Haha 1

On 21/03/2023 at 19:01, BroadAmbition said:

Thanks for the advice,

However

You do realise of course that I haven't got a Scooby Doo' what the hell your on about?

Griff

Instead of CD's in a changer magazine, you have mp3 files (in folders) on a USB stick.

It allows you to have more than just 6 'discs' and as there aren't any moving parts they're more reliable.

You can't get them for all systems but this is the sort of thing.... https://www.xcarlink.co.uk/bmw-usb-sd-interface-business-radio-or-navigation-with-text-display-and-plug-and-play-harness-new.html

• Thanks 1