Car Talk

LondonRascal

Saturday got stuff done around our hovel as ordered by Commander in Chief Home Waters (Cincnavhome)

Today - Zebedee.

My aim was to strip down the back brakes ready for cleaning / painting, changing over the pistons, seals, and dust seals. Pair of axle stands to the fore and into it. Strip down successful, after remembering to back off the handbrake shoes at the handbrake lever (Fiddly) so I could get the disc-over-drums off for an inspection, just as well coz part of the friction material came away from the frame on the offside - Photo. This means a new set of shoes along with spring & retainers etc for both sides (Ordered - Β£38 via fleabay). It also means that I'm now gonna have to strip both sides down fully, clean / paint grease and replace. It makes sense to of course whilst everything is off.

Next stop, round to a mates to get the items cleaned up in his aluminium blasting cabinet

The blasting cleaning was a longer job than I expected but all done and to the good.

The inside of the drums had a tiny lip around each one - We machined that off and cleaned them up inside and out. The pistons were removed along with their seals and dust covers, new items installed along with new bleed nipples. I have new retaining springs ready when reassembly takes place. Degreased the lot with aerosol brake cleaner from the brake fluid used to assist seating the seals and rubbers into place.

Then high temperature paint, 1st coat applied in our conservatory (Warmer), Cincnavhome was ok with this with only a small comment - Probably coz I presented her with a Sunday evening meal. The second and final coat will be applied tomorrow evening. I had thought of painting the back plates with black hamerite, but it seems I ordered way too much brake paint, so I can use that instead, not that it'll ever be seen much. The brake pads are in fine fettle with plenty of meat available

Onwards and upwards again then

Griff

Β 

Β 

Β 

BA NBN 1252.jpg

BA NBN 1253.jpg

BA NBN 1254.jpg

BA NBN 1255.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BrundallNavy said:

Question Simon. In the top right of the display it shows the speed. How do you change this from kph to mph. The central large option is in mph.Β 

That’s a good question my Dad only asked me the same question at the weekend on his πŸ‘

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BrundallNavy said:

Question Simon. In the top right of the display it shows the speed. How do you change this from kph to mph. The central large option is in mph.Β 

Depending on the year and model , the small kph reading (top right) is the default setting and always displays in kph even if you change the main speedo to mph .

The kph is the default and can’t be changed afaik , I’ll ask my mechanic when I see him to double check but think it’s fixed.

My e class was the sameΒ 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, annv said:

Jeremy Clarkson did a very good show on top gear byΒ 

...smashing up a caravan then driving a Ferarri. The week after he drove a Ferarri then smashed up a caravan. The following week he raced a kid on a toy tractor against a Typhoon jet fighter. His imagination knows no bounds.Β :default_hiding:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, annv said:

Jeremy Clarkson did a very good show on top gear by filling the Mall in London with all the vehicles still made in England. It was very impressive with the amount still made here. John

There’s a difference between which vehicles are made here and which makes are British owned. Β Nissan are made here, but would we call them British?