Car Talk

LondonRascal

Easiest way is to change the diff for a higher geared one, this is what we did to Austin vans to give higher speed and MPG swapped the diff's for  MG one's, this will make first gear higher but i guess your not worried about standing starts being a tad slower. John

Well interesting reading about Charlie and his works to improve the Z3. I have to be honest, my SLK 'Radley Bob' has been under cover in the Garage since November. I just had to tax it, and now the Insurance is coming up in April .. Without a wheel turning it will have cost me £360.00 to tax, £42.00 to MOT, £728.90 to insure. Leave aside petrol and wear and tear things and servicing. Since moving to Lincolnshire the issue is the roads locally are either dreadful with potholes, or dead straight lines - having to drive a fair way to go anywhere with some decent bends and fast flowing B Roads (how I miss the gentle rolling countryside of Norfolk for spirited drives). So instead I took 'Great' the Volvo XC70, for a weekend away (and Shiela too lol) to Pickering in the North Yorkshire Moors. It was a good opportunity to re-visit Rosedale Chimney Bank, one of England's steepest roads and Shiela filmed this as we climbed it..

However, while away the rear parking sensors did what they seem to always do on old Volvo's - stop working. Volvo originals I found were £67.00 each, I got 4 off of Amazon (German made) for £40.00 delivered. It is going in for a service on Thursday and the Garage have agreed to fit them for a nominal cost as I am having the service carried out.  It is by no means a looker this Volvo, but my it keeps on pulling like a train and I've yet to sit in anything as comfortable. It's almost at 170,000 miles (so I have clocked up over 32,000 in two years).

• Like 3

Harlech is also a good place for nice steep hills, I remember going up the hill that leads to Harlech castle, and the car we were in ran out of oomph (ok there were 4 people my size on board) 3 of us got out and the driver managed to get going again while we walked the remainder of the way, it felt like walking up a set of stairs (the road are marked with the gradients 25% on the lower half, 20% on the upper section, then there is of course the other road from the castle - you are only allowed to drive down this one as its one way, not certain i would want to try driving up it.image.png

• Like 1

you know the easiest way to improve a BMW Z3 is to sell it and buy a Honda S2000, you'll need to add a few K to the pot though. It's the car the Z3 might have been if BMW hadn't dumbed it down. I seriously wish I hadn't sold mine when I did, prices are starting to rocket. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paul said:

you know the easiest way to improve a BMW Z3 is to sell it and buy a Honda S2000, you'll need to add a few K to the pot though. It's the car the Z3 might have been if BMW hadn't dumbed it down. I seriously wish I hadn't sold mine when I did, prices are starting to rocket. 

Is that like when BMW bought Rover because The 75 was soooo much better than the 5 series. Then killed it off before anyone could develop it ? 😳

• Like 3

On 07/03/2023 at 21:38, grendel said:

Harlech is also a good place for nice steep hills, I remember going up the hill that leads to Harlech castle, and the car we were in ran out of oomph (ok there were 4 people my size on board) 3 of us got out and the driver managed to get going again while we walked the remainder of the way, it felt like walking up a set of stairs (the road are marked with the gradients 25% on the lower half, 20% on the upper section, then there is of course the other road from the castle - you are only allowed to drive down this one as its one way, not certain i would want to try driving up it.image.png

That ain't a hill that is an incline. I can't do a Google maps screenshot but if anyone can try Constitution hill in Swansea. And If they think that is steep then I can give you another which is waaay steeper also in Swansea 

9 hours ago, Paul said:

Surely it depends what you want from the car?  I owned a BMW Z3 2.8 for a few years, before selling it and buying a Chrysler Crossfire Convertible.  Neither were sports cars, both were quick enough, gave that feeling that you only get from riding a motorcycle or being in an open topped car that you don’t experience in normal car, but without the need to wring it’s neck every time you went out in it.

We took our Crossfire to southern France twice.  We enjoyed two memorable holidays in stunning countryside and beautiful weather, just cruising round the Ardeche and Gorge du Tarn, even crossing the magnificent Viaduc du Millau.  The car got a lot of attention over there, too.  Crossfires we’re a rare sight in France apparently.

Don’t get me wrong, for the right person, or in the right environment, an S2000 is a great car, but the only way to drive one is to keep the revs over 6000 or more, so is not what I’d chose when all I want is a relaxing open air drive.

Also remember that the Z3 was built off a chassis that dates back to 1991 and the E36 3 Series, so was a bit late to the party from the outset.  It did spawn some memorable cars though and the Z3M and Z3M Coupe are now appreciating classics with high price tags.

When I eventually sell my bike and hang my helmet up, I’ll probably buy another convertible, but it will again be something that I don’t have to risk my licence to enjoy driving.

16 hours ago, Paul said:

They're a great car, but they do suffer with the tinworm like most Japanese stuff. My mate has got an AP2 and has spent a lot of money on fixing corrosion and undersealing everything.

And yeah, like any Honda the power is above 4500rpm. Below that and there's no torque (my daily is a Honda), so you do need to rev the nuts off it. But as they say.... "when VTEC kicks in yo".

I'd say an E85 Z4 is a good alternative... Get one of the six-pots and torque is not an issue. Not without their issues but once 'sorted' they're fairly reliable.

Just a suggestion Griff. Would it be possible to change the tyre size on the Z3? On my Landcruiser I changed my 265/65/17 tyres to 265/70/17, changing the aspect ratio gave me an extra inch on the diameter of the wheel and tyre. It gave me an extra 3 mph on top speed or reduced my revs by 200 rpm at 70 mph, and did not catch any suspension or body parts.           It may be possible to check the BMW forums for confirmation that it can be done, or you can Google the tyre size comparison sites, which will give you the speed difference. Good luck.

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am a bit bias, owning an SLK 350 - 307HP and with the speed limiter removed, they have recorded top speeds in excess of 170MPH. But, what I love about them is the smooth V6 and deep exhaust note - only bettered by the SLK55 (V8). Lot's of nice toys like 'air scarf' to keep your beck warm when the roof is down but that big engine up front  and short wheel base means they are not as nimble it the corners.  I had a test drive in a BMW Z3 and it is far more of a drivers car, lower, more basic in how you are connected to the road, lighter (no heavy metal roof to fold away) but, if you wanted to drive to Scotland in it, you'd likely end up needing to pop into the the local Chiropractor before the hotel lol.. The SLK might loose out on overall thrills, but as a little GT it is wonderfully comfy and can out-pace a lot on the road, without looking like it can which is always fun.

The video below is one of my favourites showing what it can do in the right hands round the Nürburgring

• Like 3