Car Talk

LondonRascal

13 minutes ago, Meantime said:

Been there and done it with rear wheel drive. Mk2 Capri Ghia 1600cc engine replaced for a 2.0L OHC Sierra engine, whilst keeping the original rear diff :default_shocked1animated:

These days it's an Audi S3 with a not too shabby 4.7 secs 0-60, not that it's ever used :default_smiley-angelic002:

I had very similar - the Mk3 2000cc Ghia, in Oyster Gold. Would have been very similar to yours inside.

Loved the car, had it quite a few years until it rusted away.

But not before I totalled in coming back from Scotland once - lost the back end approaching a roundabout and skimmed a lamppost amongst other things. Had to be Relayed back to London (well over 12 hours as I recall).

The car was written off as BER, but I bought the salvage off the insurance company and had it repaired - replaced the whole of one side and various other bits of damage, and carried on driving it for quite a few years more.

1 hour ago, FlyingFortress said:

Think I would want The Scooby 😁

I still have a bit of a soft spot for them too. A mutual friend of ours (and of Meantime for that matter) who was fairly prolific on the forum back in the day used to have one and it was a bit of a weapon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Very rare, is it a Crayford?

Crayford 3 litre GT Capri cabriolet

Driven a couple of those brand new. Used to work as a delivery driver for FMC. We delivered to motoring press. Royal Family, Police forces across Great Britain. I've driven some whacky motors from them.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Andrewcook said:

Meantime this must have given you the Hump when paying out for New Suspension as these road Humps do come up pretty sharp as for this reason for new shock absorbers that not cheap either on vehicles.

Andrew, back in the day there was a total lack of road humps, however the Capri suspension, especially the front was always liable to damage if driven hard. Just heavy braking, ok, very heavy braking was liable to make the front track control arms resemble bananas, which would then fail the MOT. Then consistent heavy cornering, or taking roundabouts too fast was liable to wear the front anti roll bar bushes, or so I've been told :default_smiley-angelic002:

• Haha 1

I have a soft spot for the original early 60s Capri. A coupé of the Classic. My Mother had The Capri, but I never drove it on the roads as I was not legal until 1966.

The Capri

56196-0.jpg.e4e73a6546425ae716904736077b71c0.jpg

The Classic

1200px-Ford_Consul_Capri_Classic_315_(1963)_-_21260739228.thumb.jpg.801e86df8ff12dbf70241e7a3cfeaf73.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 2

round our way they have carefully positioned speed humps in the braking zones before side turnings on a steep hill, so you see a speed hump brake for it, and the car waiting at the side turn decides you have slowed to let him out, and then just when you are at peak emergency braking you hit the speed hump and lose all traction at the front, so dangerous, not to mention damaging to the cars.

25 minutes ago, grendel said:

round our way they have carefully positioned speed humps in the braking zones before side turnings on a steep hill, so you see a speed hump brake for it, and the car waiting at the side turn decides you have slowed to let him out, and then just when you are at peak emergency braking you hit the speed hump and lose all traction at the front, so dangerous, not to mention damaging to the cars.

We have raised tables with pedestrian crossings on them around the town centre here. The speed limit is 30 mph but there is no way you can do that over the crossing if you care for your car. A full circuit of the town centre means crossing 8 on these things. This tends to lead to those who don't care about their car doing 30mph over them, so no change. Those who do care about their cars tend to brake to about 15mph, then accelerate sharply to the next one and brake again. Not at all good for the environment or the fuel economy. 

Additionally anything with an engine or gearbox oil leak will tend to deposit the drip early a few feet after any bump, which leads to a nice oily stripe right the way across the pedestrian crossing which makes it interesting on damp or rainy days for the pedestrians sliding across the crossing.

Lastly they also slow down any essential emergency vehicles as well. In fact the one category of driver they haven't succeeded in slowing down are the boy racers.

I'm no fan of speed cameras, but since you really cannot do the legal speed limit of 30mph around the town centre they should really do away with the humps and make the speed limit 20mph and then install average speed cameras around the town centre. That would even slow the boy racers down if they cared about their license.

• Thanks 2