Car Talk

LondonRascal

24 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

I just might have to have a bit of a test drive, top down might be pushing it a tad, our outside temperature in the shade is just +1c but the sun is out and supposedly warming up

Name - Not a scoooby doo at present

Griff

Thought you were all tough you northerners. Not like us Southern Shandy drinking P##££#s. 

I did put the top down when I test drove mine and it was a cold sunny day like today up in Northumberland.

Mind you the external temperature gauge was showing+9 though 😁

Enjoy 👍

• Like 1

When my Merc was stolen last December I thought and pondered for a long time what car I should replace it with , Katie has a GLC so we have no real reason for me to also have a large car , being a kid at heart I considered loads of hot hatches particularly the Golf R but finally decided on a Merc SLC ,a true hairdressers car, and found a very low mileage one at the main dealer in Norwich an added plus is that it is a diesel so even though performance is very good (0-60 in 6.5 and top speed 150mph) I average 47 to the gallon , and having the folding metal roof means I can use it all year round even in the sub zero temperatures we are currently experiencing .

AA663A99-3447-4FDD-A138-61D248881F58.jpeg

Heyup Mods, can you please delete my above post when you have a minute - Tks.

'Zebedee' has arrived at my hovel.  The kind previous owner has put a brand new battery (3 Yr guarantee) only yesterday - Just in case! - Bargain.  the boot toolkit is complete, it has a cd changer box in t boot and in the cockpit a fully functioning radio cassette player  :default_icon_clap:

Griff

• Like 2

My naming of cars came to an abrupt end when I informed the current Mrs FF that it was the job of my girlfriend to name my cars. 

I was driving a Dolly Sprint when I met Mrs FF as my Quattro had been wrecked by a previous girlfriend. It was fine but I really wanted something with a bit more ooomph so was quite a way down the process of buying a V8 converted Stag. Both of these were getting a bit long in the tooth and as me and Mrs FF were living just shy of 350 miles apart I did the sensible thing and bought an 18 month old Cavalier and a fairly basic model at that thinking this will do me for 6 months or more. It was finished in the most dreadful colour Gazelle Beige or it should have been Larks Vomit 🤮

It's registration was FGS so Mrs FF wanted to call it fags which I vetoed.

The poor thing was thereafter known as Yuk.

The 6 months or more turned into almost 13 years and to date it was probably the best value car I have ever bought possibly with the exception of my last one that also lasted 13 years. Exception only as the Cavalier went to 180k miles whereas my 75 went on to 240k 😳👍

The 75 never had a name 🤪

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

When my Merc was stolen last December I thought and pondered for a long time what car I should replace it with , Katie has a GLC so we have no real reason for me to also have a large car , being a kid at heart I considered loads of hot hatches particularly the Golf R but finally decided on a Merc SLC ,a true hairdressers car, and found a very low mileage one at the main dealer in Norwich an added plus is that it is a diesel so even though performance is very good (0-60 in 6.5 and top speed 150mph) I average 47 to the gallon , and having the folding metal roof means I can use it all year round even in the sub zero temperatures we are currently experiencing .

AA663A99-3447-4FDD-A138-61D248881F58.jpeg

I have many happy memories of driving it's forerunner the SLK many K through Victoria inc the GOR.

Fab road trip and car was perfect

20171026_094606.thumb.jpg.d2bc0c900710e98f36f0e5a41a871080.jpg20171023_100552.thumb.jpg.5bffe0681c28ace2520dc605c4b93917.jpg20171024_130417.thumb.jpg.3a50aaa0923d29a6f84fa498b54d41cd.jpg20171025_113518.thumb.jpg.d06b8ab2973a046271b11d5cff3d7cb3.jpg20171020_175336.thumb.jpg.fed796e04be84c15e4314086b0617051.jpg1020510745_20171020_1753543.thumb.jpg.309db9ee2e9b606fb851fc6c244d4b09.jpg20171025_095538.thumb.jpg.e6ed1477a3b24d08ff2b0ed858effdf7.jpg20171024_125138.thumb.jpg.590374a8b3fe9db218a640912c7d87ae.jpg

• Like 2

21 hours ago, FlyingFortress said:

The 75 never had a name 🤪

The MGZT I had for quite some years was called MGFred named by my son when he was 5. Had that for a number of years treating myself to a Jag XF. Replaced this with my Dads old 75 estate. Now with some new MGs and the other half’s 500c, the only two cars there’s ever been an attachment with were the 75 and the ZT, also I think these were the better card given their ages and miles put on them. The 75 2002 went to a new home just last week, still find myself looking at the space on the driveway with fond memories 🤪

Edited by PCL023

14 minutes ago, PCL023 said:

The MGZT I had for quite some years was called MGFred named by my son when he was 5. Had that for a number of years treating myself to a Jag XF. Replaced this with my Dads old 75 estate. Now with some new MGs and the other half’s 500c, the only two cars there’s ever been an attachment with were the 75 and the ZT, also I think these were the better card given their ages and miles put on them. The 75 2002 went to a new home just last week, still find myself looking at the space on the driveway with fond memories 🤪

I don't think the 75 had the credit that it deserved.

Mine was an 04 estate so quite a late model and was chipped for 170 bhp. I picked it up for a song when it was 2 years old and the value of them had plummeted due to Rover going toes up. IIRC it had 40 ISH k on the clock so I put 200k on it myself. During that time it had 2 alternators , a turbo charger and an air con condenser, other than that all other things were consumables (brakes etc). Never had a Z and I am sorry I didn't. 😳.

Replaced it with my current XF estate and strangely enough was thinking about the 75 this morning and how good it was in heavy snow. I had left the snow mode on in the XF and it reminded me of the 75, that was by no means a slouch, but of course the XF has 100 more gee gees.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FlyingFortress said:

I don't think the 75 had the credit that it deserved.

Mine was an 04 estate so quite a late model and was chipped for 170 bhp. I picked it up for a song when it was 2 years old and the value of them had plummeted due to Rover going toes up. IIRC it had 40 ISH k on the clock so I put 200k on it myself. During that time it had 2 alternators , a turbo charger and an air con condenser, other than that all other things were consumables (brakes etc). Never had a Z and I am sorry I didn't. 😳.

Replaced it with my current XF estate and strangely enough was thinking about the 75 this morning and how good it was in heavy snow. I had left the snow mode on in the XF and it reminded me of the 75, that was by no means a slouch, but of course the XF has 100 more gee gees.

Ive got a 3 litre diesel XF,the heated front seats have taken a bashing this week. I may be forced to reluctantly sell it if the London Mayor has hes way as its not ULEZ compliant,and i refuse to pay £12 .50 every time i want to visit my daughter who lives in the London borough Bexley.:default_coat:

20 minutes ago, Aboattime said:

Ive got a 3 litre diesel XF,the heated front seats have taken a bashing this week. I may be forced to reluctantly sell it if the London Mayor has hes way as its not ULEZ compliant,and i refuse to pay £12 .50 every time i want to visit my daughter who lives in the London borough Bexley.:default_coat:

That's what I have. Also the heated front screen has been having some exercise. As you can see I have quite a collection of big Cats 

IMAG0035.jpg

Had the upside down XJS for 25 years until it threw a piston one cold morning (think the thermostat jammed) early last year. An engine re build was going to cost north of 14k so I'm afraid that was the end of my journey with her.

As Mrs FF has always liked the XK8 we could afford either a convertible which we had never had before or the XKR. As you can see we settled for a rather pretty convertible, which is plenty fast enough for the health of my driving licence.

There is little to choose between the XF and XK in raw pace and truthfully I think the XF is the more rapid particularly in everyday driving. Sure the XK would come into its own on a track day. The only downside is ride quality that Jaguar is renowned for.

The XJS was like driving an armchair as is the XF but both can tolerate some brutal handling (XJS was a HE so much stiffer than the pre HE which we also had).

XK is much stiffer by nature of it being a convertible and having 20" low profile wheels.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Amazingly despite it being a BMW all the indicators work and yes I did use em

Nooooooooo!  You’ll be frowned upon by other BMW drivers if you do that, not to mention attempted entry to the BMW Owner's Club will be automatically declined!!

Heres a link to a Z Forum that I used to be a member of:  https://zroadster.org  
Like NBN, there’s plenty of useful info available there.

• Thanks 1

On 15/12/2022 at 13:55, Mouldy said:

I had a Z3 a few years ago as a Sunday car - a 2.8.

B2C3F9DB-C619-4D4F-885D-F78C52C1C2B0.thumb.jpeg.db29954a4082a093217146ab98ebde1d.jpeg

9255630E-D80E-4003-ACA8-0CF8ECE384E8.thumb.jpeg.691983cebbd9c1a566bed41a0f39ec71.jpeg

C819C5D0-3121-4124-8563-69DEEC3A3C10.thumb.jpeg.3af6148e62752bb454a2ef0e3f853262.jpeg

672A7AC1-D782-45DE-A4FF-CFB5FE802A37.thumb.jpeg.18f777c1efbea90fffcf71066f86d5d4.jpeg

sold it to buy a Chrysler Crossfire.

My hot tip for a "put away and keep" is the Crossfire. There are some beautiful examples around for absolutely no money.

3 hours ago, ChrisB said:

My hot tip for a "put away and keep" is the Crossfire. There are some beautiful examples around for absolutely no money.

Hmmm,

not so sure about that.:default_biggrin:

back to the m sport z3,

lovely car,

appreciating nicely,they are fetching 2x the money that they were when I had my 1999 2.8 and are likely to continue.

iirc ,the m sport had NO traction control with 300 hp.

the 2.8 could be lively,and that had tc.

was excellent fun when you turned it off.

tek it steady!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1