Car Talk

LondonRascal

So, earlier this year I was tiling round at a nice retired couples hovel.  He being a genuine knighted 'Sir'.  I asked that on a particular following day I would need space in his garage for my electrical mixing / cutting tools as rain was due.  Next day he pulls out his Sunday afternoon car. A twenty year old BMW Z3 2:2 'M' sport soft top.  Immaculate showroom condition,  Full s/steel exhaust, brand new tyres, 70'00 mile on clock, full service history.  Its got heated seats, aircon the lot.  I was drooling a tad thinking that would be a fine upgrade for replacing my Dutton Phaeton S3 (Hopefully selling that next year)

We got chatting as one does, he was due to sell the Z3 replacing it with a Z4 in 2023.  A deal was struck way below current market value, we shook hands on a gentleman's agreement.  Then at home informed MrsG what I had committed mysen too, I survived that experience quite well considering

Things changed, his Z4 has arrived earlier than forecast this year.  I will admit it has been a struggle what with voluntary monthly instalments to my daughter to assist with the cost of her upcoming wedding next year - But - I have just made my final payment for the Z3 and will take delivery of said steed this weekend

Between Christmas and the New year I'll be taking it round to a mates place where it will be securely dry stored.  It will reside there every year from Oct to April.  The rest of the year it will be with us (Under a cover if rain is due) here at home

This will be our Sunny weekend fun car, a genuine toy to be enjoyed on days / weekends away and of course trips down to the wetshed for time afloat.  Hopefully Purdey will be ok sat in the passenger footwell, we will see

My lad has a cherished reg plate on retention so we can put that on it foc until Trevor Transit goes when (If ever) I retire then bring over my 'B.A' / Griff reg number

Happy Days :default_beerchug:

Griff'

BA NBN 1217.jpg

BA NBN 1218.jpg

BA NBN 1219.jpg

BA NBN 1220.jpg

• Like 10
  • Love 2

Very nice and congratulations on getting a nice little sports car.

Only shame it isn't British 🤪

With regard to Purdy, I don't think the Z3 has the back seats for legless children like my soft top does, we got some purpose design hammock like covers for the hooligan. Don't know if they are available for front seats but maybe worth looking into.

The Hooligan loves being in the soft top with ears flapping in the wind

IMG20220602143321.jpg

IMG20220602143310_01.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Very nice, you'll soon have people queuing up as you arrive, for a hairdresser..... :default_biggrin:

To get the hooligan in the back we have had to remove the wind deflector. You may have a point Smoggy. 

Another thing learned as this is our first soft top. A hat is the order of the day, as apart from scary hairy, sunburn can be an issue as my thatch is not as thick as it used to be. Even Mrs FF who hates hats wears one when the top is down.:default_ohmy:

For anyone with a soft top I recommend a trip to His Majesty's Lake District and a drive through the Wrynose and Hardnott passes. 

We had an Astra convertible and a general rule was that the top comes down if the temperature gets above 12C. We were there one March and it was 6C but we went over anyway, top down. From East to West frightens the living daylights out of your passenger and as you reach the top, for a few seconds all you can see is a windscreen full of sky. Nice views but don't look down! :default_smiley-char054:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, floydraser said:

For anyone with a soft top I recommend a trip to His Majesty's Lake District and a drive through the Wrynose and Hardnott passes. 

We had an Astra convertible and a general rule was that the top comes down if the temperature gets above 12C. We were there one March and it was 6C but we went over anyway, top down. From East to West frightens the living daylights out of your passenger and as you reach the top, for a few seconds all you can see is a windscreen full of sky. Nice views but don't look down! :default_smiley-char054:

Never been to the Lake District. It looks like it's on for next year. Need somewhere good for dog walking 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, FlyingFortress said:

Never been to the Lake District. It looks like it's on for next year. Need somewhere good for dog walking 

The entire Lake District is dog paradise. Don't want to hijack the thread but from Keswick there's the old railway walk - flat, about 4 miles each way or you can walk around Derwent Water - about 11 miles. If you're fit you could do Catbells but you'll be looking down on the RAF as they practise flying through the passes.

14 hours ago, FlyingFortress said:

Firstly.... What a cute Labrador, and in my favourite colour too!

So many people say that they've never been to the Lakes and I can only say you are in for a real treat.

As it happens, when I was coming onto the Kirkstone Pass earlier this year we found ourselves in the middle of some sort of Z3 / Z4 owners club cruise. You can see some of the line of Z3's ahead, and there was an E85 Z4 behind us.

It was a slightly grey day but we dropped the roof and it was quite fun knowing that someone else in front would be looking out for sheep in the middle of the road so I could keep it flat. They weren't going flat out, Mrs OG's car (now sold, I'm sure you can work out what it was though) was keeping up without much trouble but it was a fun experience.

There are so many roads in the Lakes which are just stunning to drive. Wrynose / Hard Knott pass is fun but Kirkstone isn't single track and if you hit it at the right time of day there's no traffic. The road from the summit back down to Ambleside is known as 'The Struggle' and is fantastic in a car with a bit of power.

Similarly, Honister Pass and the parts around Buttermere are pretty epic.

image.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have always liked very mutch the Z3/4 coupés. Very much in the mould of a true Grand Tourisimo. 

I don't know if it is just the UK market but their production runs appear very short.

I suppose having coupes based on their saloon cars offers more practicality but one would suit me, being on my own, nicely.

20221216_110520.thumb.jpg.d4ea7247602ac9e01f86b3253ba70a99.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, floydraser said:

Lake District Weather Warning: It can be dismall any time of the year! :default_badday:

In bright weather there is no better place to be but I feel sorry for anyone who goes for the first time just sees mist.

We were there last summer for a wedding, in Windemere. Stayed on a few days. We did get some very heavy rain and mist, but also some stunning weather and stunning views.

Shame we were in the OH's car, rather than my A4 convertible, as it would have been great to get the roof down when the sun was out !

• Like 1

Thanks for all the tips about the lake District 👍

Must give it a go next year as Mrs FF seems very keen.

Won't have any shortage of power for the good bits of road. If we take the soft top there will be 300bhp on tap and even if we take the big estate car there will be 270 🤫

There is no replacement for displacement. 

Even if the soft top is 1.1 ltr and 4 cylinders down on the Coupé it replaced it has the same bhp. 😳