Car Talk

LondonRascal

4 minutes ago, grendel said:

I can remember the days when it cost me 71p to fill the 1 gallon tank of my moped to get me to work.

1971 after decimalization one local garage had petrol at 29 pence per gallon and my mate filled both of his 20 gallon tanks in his Land Rover, the days of free wheeling hubs to get that extra 2 MPG.

4 minutes ago, grendel said:

I can remember the days when it cost me 71p to fill the 1 gallon tank of my moped to get me to work.

I remember those days. I had a Puch MS50 and did an 18 mile round trip 5 days a week for that sort of money. Mind you I was only paid £12.50 a week. Beer was 25p a pint. Lunch at the college where I worked was 30p and my weekly rent was £4. 

• Like 1

youn younguns, with decimal coinage, when i left school my first motorbike was a 175 cc james cavalier, petrol was 4s9d per gallon and a shot of 2 stroke oil was 7d, grand total to me 5s4d, weekly wage £4 6s 4d, at 18 worked in a local hostelry mild was 1s9d bitter was 1s11d

1 minute ago, unclemike said:

youn younguns, with decimal coinage, when i left school my first motorbike was a 175 cc james cavalier, petrol was 4s9d per gallon and a shot of 2 stroke oil was 7d, grand total to me 5s4d, weekly wage £4 6s 4d, at 18 worked in a local hostelry mild was 1s9d bitter was 1s11d

Hi Mike I did not want to confuse the issue but I can remember that the garage in our village (attended service) the girls used to fill up the petrol check the oil, remember those Castrol cans they used and the Redex hand pumps for the two stroke. Petrol was 4 shillings and eight pennies.

By the sound of it you were on a similar wage to myself as an apprentice electrician I started at 1 and three happence  per hour

Regards

Alan

2 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

1971 after decimalization one local garage had petrol at 29 pence per gallon and my mate filled both of his 20 gallon tanks in his Land Rover, the days of free wheeling hubs to get that extra 2 MPG.

We (parents) had a new H reg, 1970 long wheelbase safari. The first one I saw with a one piece windscreen and fitted with free wheeling hubs. Great until you wanted to go rabbiting and you had forgotten to turn them on. The early ones were not automatic and you had to get out in a muddy wet gateway and use a large spanner.

• Like 1

the only brand new car we ever had in the family was a k reg vauxhall viva my parents won in a kellogs cornflakes competition, it was immediately sold to a family friend as my dad didnt drive, the proceeds back then paid off their mortgage

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SteveO said:

Still £1.99.9 at Tesco here for diesel. Coincidentally (ha ha) the two cheaper independent garages that I use round these parts are both undergoing upgrades to their forecourts. 

No suprise there as the retailers are the ones keeping prices high rather than the goverment.

• 3 months later...

Must be the season Griff; my heated steering wheel has also packed up. Corsa E.

20221108_100446.thumb.jpg.449173b9a3ec88b991aca18259936b4f.jpg

Led doesn't light, no heat, but fuse ok. It's mentioned on quite a few forums but nowhere does anyone have a conclusion as to what the problem is! Nothing on Youtube apart from how to strip the dash and remove the wheel. I'm even struggling to find which relay to check.. Ah well, what else am I going to do with my time.... ? :default_sailing:

• Sad 1

Does the ‘E’ stand for electric?

I was conversing with a fellow tradesman yesterday who had a hybrid transit Custom. Apparently with a light load in summer it does just 25miles max on the batteries if fully charged. Then the 1 Ltr 3cyl petrol kicks in to generate electricity to carry on driving. Mine fully laden in winter - 5 miles on batteries?

The shocking fact is that he reckons he is saving just 1p per mile over a traditional ICE setup. Then taking into account how much the purchase price is of his EV is - not worth it. 

I’ll be sticking with my dyno diesel Transit Custom until I retire.

Griff

20 minutes ago, floydraser said:

Must be the season Griff; my heated steering wheel has also packed up. Corsa E.

20221108_100446.thumb.jpg.449173b9a3ec88b991aca18259936b4f.jpg

Led doesn't light, no heat, but fuse ok. It's mentioned on quite a few forums but nowhere does anyone have a conclusion as to what the problem is! Nothing on Youtube apart from how to strip the dash and remove the wheel. I'm even struggling to find which relay to check.. Ah well, what else am I going to do with my time.... ? :default_sailing:

There is a simple fix for that, gloves.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BroadAmbition said:

Does the ‘E’ stand for electric?

Oops, I never thought of that. No, its the model: A, B, C etc. Then it gets confusing... Mine's a 2015 E, then came the F and I don't know what they use now the electrics are out.

Mine's an eco diesel with the 1.3 Fiat based engine. Returns regular 60 plus running around, 70 plus on a run, no road tax. Not worth getting rid of it. Just about to click over 90k so may need a timing chain in a couple of years. 

Wouldn't touch an electric; there's talk of taxing them now. Who'd have thought....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well that turned out to be a breeze.  Only two tools required, a torx 20 and 25.  Took me less than an hour but would have been somewhat longer without the youtube instruction video.  The original white unit had started to breakdown on the edge.  Fan now working fine on all four positions.  Jobs a gudden

Griff

BA NBN 1212.jpg

BA NBN 1213.jpg

• Like 2

Now as to Petrol being tempered with once again as to Grade Five & Ten has there been any change in the Car Performance? As it won't get any cheaper either. plus beware of the Car having its annual  M OT with tighter controls on Exhausts fumes coming out as it is now enforced. So keep your Carburettor well-tuned up.

Hi Griff Try turning the heater off before you switch engine off then when you start the heater wont come on,  the relay relies on cold air blown from the fan to keep lt cool common fault in reno's and Vauxhalls relay gets hot before air reaches it when it starts on full. John

• Like 1