Car Talk

LondonRascal

Bought My Mazda 2  Through the trade as my nephew works for a dealer. It was going to auction, if it didn't sell Paid £8900 for it as it was a lease car with 22000 miles in two years.

Looking on car sale websites, I could sell it now, having done an extra 20000 miles in four years and make a small profit on it

• Like 3

I keep getting phone calls and mails offering me a great deal to upgrade my "Picnic Car" I don't know what it is about as it is only 7 months old with less than 2000 on the clock and I like it as it is. Especially after yesterdays outing to Gibraltar Point.

I had been driving it pretty hard and on arrival checked the trip:- 62.4 mpg. 

As it goes into hibernation, in winter  in the garage, it should last me a while.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, apologies up front to one and all.

Why?  Coz any day now we will get a late snow flurry or icy roads.  This will be my fault entirely as I have just taken off the winter alloys/tyres on my 'GriffTile' van and put the larger summer ones on.  Bit late swapping them over this year but not had a spare minute and we are ferrying over to Rotterdam this evening from Hull then tomorrow a 300 mile drive into Germany to visit relatives

Griff

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, ChrisB said:

You don't want "Winters" in Summer temperatures on the Autobahn.

Its not exactly "Summer temperatures" here at the moment!  Lots of rain...

• Sad 1

I too have just swapped my winters for the summer versions. Winter tyres love wet roads and stick like glue in very wet conditions we used to produce a huge rooster tail of spray out the back of the voyager fitted with winters. I also remember cruising past a vehicle of the boys in black on the A47 in the winter of 2011, we were in a black grande espace limited edition fitted with winter tyres, everyone including the plod were sticking to the left lane where all the compacted snow was, we stuck to the outside lane in the fresh snow with relatively better grip and no numpties in front or to the rear. Compacted snow bad fresh snow good, I had expected plod to know that. The look they gave us was daggers which I really enjoyed, the Belgian plates probably put them off from interfering. 

On 29/05/2022 at 08:09, HEM said:

Its not exactly "Summer temperatures" here at the moment!  Lots of rain...

When we bought the current cars we had them fit all-year tires & are happy we did so.
Avoids the twice-yearly exchanging and storage.

Up here in Northern Germany where its flat there is rarely any serious snow.
Things are different if you live in hilly areas or near the alps.

Moi aussi, I have used Michelin Cross Climate since their launch, excellent tyres, great grip in snow.

They pick up fresh snow in the cross type tread and work on the principle of:-

" Nothing sticks to snow like snow "

• 2 weeks later...

It cost me £150 yesterday to fill the GriffTile van, a personal  ‘Best’ for me

Read on:-

The oil price today is £96 a barrel as petrol approaches £2 per litre!

In June 2008, however, it hit £109 a barrel yet petrol was £1.19 per litre?

?????

Out of £100 spent at the pump

• £16.67 was VAT
• £32.74 was FUEL DUTY
• £35.84 production & wholesale costs
• £9.71 erm..biofuel content allowance?
• £3.92 went to Tesco, the retailer
• £1.12 was delivery costs 

Nearly £50 (50%) in tax alone!

You're welcome!

Griff

• Sad 2

So, not only are they forcing us to use fuel with added biofuel, they are happily charging 10% on the price for the privilege, this is effectively saying that the biofuel additive costs twice the cost of the non biofuel fuel (10% + 10% extra) (not withstanding that the ethanol is destroying the rubber fuel components on all the older cars)

• Like 1

It’s about time that the VAT on fuel was a fixed rate, rather than a percentage.  The 5p a litre that was knocked off, allegedly to bring the cost down, will have been swallowed up by the rise in applied VAT, now anyway.

24 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

It cost me £150 yesterday to fill the GriffTile van, a personal  ‘Best’ for me

Read on:-

The oil price today is £96 a barrel as petrol approaches £2 per litre!

In June 2008, however, it hit £109 a barrel yet petrol was £1.19 per litre?

?????

Out of £100 spent at the pump

• £16.67 was VAT
• £32.74 was FUEL DUTY
• £35.84 production & wholesale costs
• £9.71 erm..biofuel content allowance?
• £3.92 went to Tesco, the retailer
• £1.12 was delivery costs 

Nearly £50 (50%) in tax alone!

You're welcome!

Griff

Hello Griff, we are all being taken to the cleaners with regards to fuel prices, oil prices have been fairly constant over the last couple of years but we are paying the earth for fuel. As you say 50% is tax in one form or the other and we are being pushed down the electrical vehicle route which is absolute folly.

Regards

Alan 

26 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

It’s about time that the VAT on fuel was a fixed rate, rather than a percentage.  The 5p a litre that was knocked off, allegedly to bring the cost down, will have been swallowed up by the rise in applied VAT, now anyway.

A massive example of 'stealth taxes', as levied by all the political parties when they have been in power (trying to be neutral here ...)

Just came across an old log book 2001  1190lt  Hippersons  £269=00     2004  Womax  400lt  £150=00    2005 Hippersons 550lt  £247=00    2006  Boutique 600lt  £300=00    2011  Somerlayton 300lt  £225=00  didn't think to keep a price per lt each year certainly has jumped up lately and if unable to get FAME free fuel you have to add cost of fuel additive to go on top of pump price. Not filled up this year yet. John

1 hour ago, ranworthbreeze said:

. . . . . . . As you say 50% is tax in one form or the other and we are being pushed down the electrical vehicle route which is absolute folly.

And as more folk switch to EVs and escape duty on fuel and road tax, I wonder who will pick up the slack in lost revenue?  I’m guessing that the increasing tax on petrol and diesel will cover some of that, until such time as additional taxation is placed on electric vehicles to compensate.

• Like 1

considering the massive hike in the electricity prices, I think that is where we will be seeing the price rises to cover the losses in fossil fuels, i have already heard that the new smart meters combined with the new smart chargers, will be able to restrict charge rates and time when EV's can charge (so they dont all go on charge at the same instant- they say) in reality the energy companies will be able to control your charge rate and times so when everyone wants to charge the energy charges will be higher.

55 minutes ago, grendel said:

considering the massive hike in the electricity prices, I think that is where we will be seeing the price rises to cover the losses in fossil fuels, i have already heard that the new smart meters combined with the new smart chargers, will be able to restrict charge rates and time when EV's can charge (so they dont all go on charge at the same instant- they say) in reality the energy companies will be able to control your charge rate and times so when everyone wants to charge the energy charges will be higher.

It was bound to happen with smart meters which is one of the reasons I will not have one.

15 minutes ago, Andrewcook said:

Well this issue is now it speeding up the Government promises of having Petrol & Diesels cars off the road as to us switching to Electric Cars as all this will cost us all a hell of lot of money 

So will changing to an electric car!  Have you checked the prices?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ranworthbreeze said:

It was bound to happen with smart meters which is one of the reasons I will not have one.

My mother in law has power supplies by eon next, last week her latest bill arrived, '£55 in credit as read by smart meter. It's a very 'smart' meter as she doesn't have one and I supply them with her readings.  :default_biggrin:

• Haha 1

Sorry Alan -your statement that oil prices have remained fairly constant over the last two years is some way off, according to the charts, and not exactly true. Indeed according to my info, far from it.

In Jun 2020 oil was around $44 a barrel and today its $122 - constant?  Sterling/dollar is pretty similar however!