Car Talk

LondonRascal

Buy an "endurance" rated memory card. They are much longer lasting in dashcams, as they are made for the job. Bit more expensive but worth it for peace of mind. I had terrible problems with my Nextbase cam, even with their own brand cards. Had no trouble at all after installing an endurance card. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bikertov said:

Actually - it might not be the dashcam, it could just be the memory card that is faulty.

Memory cards, in fact all 'flash' memory including SSD drives, can only be written onto so many times before they fail. This life expectancy is often known as the 'total bytes written' capacity. Depending on the technical architecture, this can be anywhere between 1,000 and 100,000 read-write cycles.

For instance, a 480 GB SSD might only have a total bytes written life expectancy of 160 TB

So with a dashcam, you are continually recording and hence writing and overwriting the data, and eventually the card will fail.

If you look at the warranty on memory cards, it usually excludes their use in dashcams, CCTV and other continuous recording devices.

My advice would be change the memory card and see it the dashcam now works, then change the memory card every 3 months or so. But in between, take the card out periodically and try an watch some footage to see if all is OK.

just what I was going to say, the memory buffer thatstores where everything is gets full (and its not rewritable memory, so the card fails because it cant store nay more, its good practice to replace the card every couple of years.

24 minutes ago, grendel said:

the memory buffer thatstores where everything is gets full (and its not rewritable memory,

It most certainly is rewriteable memory. The problem with all flash devices whether that be memory cards or SSD disks is that each bit of memory can only be rewritten a finite number of times. The cheaper ones can be written to less times than the more expensive ones. Then you have the professional ones. The only real difference is that the professional ones tend to have twice as much capacity as stated on the packaging. In the background as individual bits reach the end of their life, they are remapped to new bits and hence the professional cards seem to last twice as long, but that is really because they was 100% spare capacity to start with.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Typical - just checked my dashcam - it's gone faulty and not recorded anything for goodness knows how long

Are you sure it's not just this?
 "Please adjust the low sensitivity of G-sensor, otherwise the video file will be easily locked when your car vibrates, which will cause the SD card to fill and stop recording" - from Toguard

The more the van thinks it may have been in a bump, the more it will lock that piece of footage away in a protected folder so it can't be rewritten over. Eventually, the recordable capacity dwindles to nothing. Best thing is to remove the sd card, then either reformat it or delete the "captured camera moments - they will be in two separate folders on the card. Reinsert it and see if it works. 

its good practice to replace the card every couple of years.

I wish, about three in two years now :default_icon_cry:

Eventually, the recordable capacity dwindles to nothing. Best thing is to remove the sd card, then either reformat it or delete the "captured camera moments - they will be in two separate folders on the card. Reinsert it and see if it works. 

Thanks, I'll try it if it will respond

Griff

I'm not really into cars and don't care what I drive tbh. The wife loves her renault and she replaces it every 3 4 years. Unfortunately not this time Round, she went car shopping with the son yesterday. She's been quoted a 6 month lead time on delivery. She's hanging onto this one until all theses supply issues are over. Personally I see this as a positive, there maybe a few extra pennies for a sneaky weekend away lol. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, andyg said:

She's been quoted a 6 month lead time on delivery. She's hanging onto this one until all theses supply issues are over. 

Work asked me a while ago if I wanted to swap my company car early as there's a shortage of 2nd hand cars.  My circumstances have changed so I don't need a large XC60 plus we're now allowed to order hybrids and full electric which means a huge saving in BIK tax. 

I thought, I'll have some of that so duly placed an order for a hybrid V60 as not convinced full electric is suitable for me at present. 

I placed the order this March and delivery has been confirmed as 31st March 2023........  

• Like 1

Confirmed or estimated? Don't hold your breath!! Even "confirmed" delivery dates are being pushed back at present, due to "unforeseen component shortages beyond our control". Some Teslas have even been delivered minus USB ports and various bits of non-essential electronics, in an effort to keep delivery dates.

so the car companies cant deliver for a year or more, and the government want to phase out non electric vehicles by when???I suppose though if you order your new IC engined car now and its not delivered for a few years, that might get around the no new IC cars ruling as it was ordered before....

With inflation as it is I feel the buoyancy of the used car market will soon stutter , as will the rush on new cars .

Work from home means less company cars will be required and the monstrous cost of an EV will also have an effect on the new car market .

I’ve said on here before , the most carbon friendly car you can have is the one you already own , no need to change .

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

I’ve said on here before , the most carbon friendly car you can have is the one you already own , no need to change .

Exactly !

Why change if you don't have to. I believe a massive part of the carbon footprint of car is the manufacture and disposal of the vehicle. The running element is but a small part.

And if I'm not mistaken, Volvo recently did a study that showed EVs are not all they are cracked up to be o this fornt:

https://www.carscoops.com/2021/11/volvo-says-manufacturing-an-electric-car-generates-70-percent-more-emissions-than-its-petrol-equivalent/

As i only now do three thousand a year now thought a Tesla might be more convenient.it also has a very good all round driver vision. i put my present car on a maintenance charger so not much difference there,i can charge at boat yard with no problems if i need to just cost of a micky box to take advantage of my solar panels,  so no bills, no queuing at pumps. although insurance is higher.just jump in and go.  John

I have just changed my 2litre VW Touareg for a 2litre VW Sharan ( dreadful name ).

The new one does double the mpg, is a third of the road fund tax and is a hundred pounds cheaper to insure.

It also has 7 good sized seats.

No, I am not doing uber.😁