Car Talk

LondonRascal

Surprisingly the indicators work just fine, maybe they haven’t had much prior use?

Being early noughties technology it doesn’t have the auto three winks facility on the indicator stalk so I’m back to old school techniques during overtaking

Private plate? My Lad has offered me his which he has on retention. I will transfer my cherished plate over from the GriffTile van on retirement which is ‘B.A’s reg number and my initials 

Griff

3 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Collected the new carbon fibre thermostat housing with platinum thermostat earlier this week. 

(Turned out that £98 price tag included the vat) I was gonna fit it today, however we didn't finish clay shooting till 1230, then I had to visit a client for estimate measuring etc, then had to go off to Ferrybridge services to hand over a perspex wind deflector that was surplus to requirements I had sold.  By the time that lot was done and I arrived home it was too late in the day to commence the cooling system flushing so it'll have to wait to tomorrow afternoon now, weather permitting

Rather than go in my 'GriffTile' van I drove to Ferrybridge in Zebedee, this a round trip of about 80-ish miles from my gaff, the furthest run to date. Enjoyed the run tremendously, although the radio picks up limited stations. Must remember to drag out our vintage cassette collection and pick a few and get the CD changer thingy loaded up.

At 70mph the engine is doing 3'200rpm, way toooooo high. I am of the opinion that Zebedee needs a sixth gear or cog five replacing with a taller one to drop down the revs for motorway cruising. I'll look into this one and report back in due course

Whilst I was out delivering, in my absence my Lad deep cleaned / detailed / ceramic polished the whole of Zebedee (I knew he'd come in handy for sommat or t'other one day), he's done a fine job too and steed is now looking her best.

I did get the Gods Country Rose 3D gel self adhesive number plate badges put on. The front one looks worse than crap due to the fixing screw location. Now of course I need a new set of plates - self adhesive ones. It seems like everytime I get an upgrade / farkle sorted, there is another un to add to the list  I'll soon have gone over the £1k mark spent on that blooming list.

The Gods Country number plate badges. For those of you that reside in Yorkshire, hail from Yorkshire (Or wish you did ) then I have a few pairs available. I searched around online for an age trying to find some, failed so had to do a minimum order and get some made up. 'MrsG stated I must not put any on her Q5 (She being a Jock-ess) I put a pair on months ago now, she still hasn't noticed them or is giving them a damn fine ignoring too

Griff

BA NBN 1243.jpg

BA NBN 1244.jpg

BA NBN 1245.jpg

3200 rpm at 70 is waaay too high.

My XK is turning around 1600 at 70 and the XF 1300. 

XK has 6 gears and 8 pots and 4.2 ltr , I will add that the " go faster" button has not been pressed .

XF has 8 gears 6 pots and 3.0 ltrs and none of the 3 ," go faster," buttons have been pressed .

Both cars can do 0-60 in 6 seconds and are 300 and 270 bhp respectively.

When I picked up the XK I drove it over 300 miles home. It was only in the last 94 miles that I discovered how to re set the trip computer. When I got home I had averaged 27.8 mpg and an average speed of 67 mph ( I had not discovered the "go faster " button) driven from North of England to North Norfolk so pick out of that what you will.

I thought that was pretty impressive for a similar era vehicle to Zebedee 👍

Don't generally press any of the "go faster" buttons on the XF but I do now on the XK as a V8 turning over 7k rpm sound's heavenly.

XF will regularly return 55+ mpg but it is an oil burner 😳

Progress:-

That fabric / leather wind deflector. Being aware of just how old this item maybe, not to mention as rare as hens teeth I hand washed it gently which worked as the washing water greyed somewhat then hung it outside to dry naturally. Applied the spray black dye, left that to dry (Its fast drying) then applied some leather care, then finally lubricated the two zips, job done and looks a gudden. No longer does it look dark grey, we are back to black. well chuffed

Griff

P.S - Thought it would be rude not to freshen up my clay shooting vest, so that got the same treatment too. Looks brand new again

BA NBN 1236.jpg

BA NBN 1246.jpg

BA NBN 1247.jpg

Then it was onto todays main event.

The cooling system.

With the huge belt driven fan no longer resident and getting in the way of just about everything, this job was much easier. Removed top and bottom hoses from the rad, removed thermostat housing, remove three hoses from the expansion tank, expansion tank into the kitchen sink for a proper hot wash inside and outside. Hosepipe - Years ago I installed a hot outside tap next to the cold one for garden / outside use. With the temperature dropping by the hour a hot hosepipe pressure wash was called for, I flushed everything from both directions making sure the heater control was set to hot (Open) used gallons of hot water. I was pleasantly surprised that no gunk came out just the old coolant that was discolouring the water. The four bolts that secure the thermostat housing all seemed brand new apart from one. and that was only slightly discoloured, a wire brush sorted that out then applied coppa ease to all the bolts

Fitted the new thermostat/housing and all hoses, back in with the expansion tank. Then in with the new coolant, fired her up, bled the system. Took my MrsG out for Sunday dinner to a pub in Wadworth in Zebedee for a coolant systems test - All to the good.

That's another item ticked off the list. Onwards and upward in the normal manner then

Griff

BA NBN 1248.jpg

BA NBN 1249.jpg

BA NBN 1250.jpg

BA NBN 1251.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, FlyingFortress said:

Blimey at those revs Grendel I am well into licence losing territory 😳

At where Griff is at 70 I am around max torque and near max acceleration in the oil burner 😳

it is a diesel and only 2.0 litre, red line is at 4000 rpm

Had a voicemail from my car dealer asking me to call back, got all excited thinking my new car was ready at last after waiting over a year.  Nope!  I'll be having the first of the 2024 model year cars, ETA is now end of June and I needed to choose a new colour as the "free" black was no longer free.  Only free option is "vapour grey" which means it will be hard to find if we get any fog!

As it's a company car I refuse to pay for any extras due to BIK tax so grey it is then, current car is black so I spose it will be a change.  

image.png.541fee3868d249bd021498341405d783.png

28 minutes ago, NeilB said:

Had a voicemail from my car dealer asking me to call back, got all excited thinking my new car was ready at last after waiting over a year.  Nope!  I'll be having the first of the 2024 model year cars, ETA is now end of June and I needed to choose a new colour as the "free" black was no longer free.  Only free option is "vapour grey" which means it will be hard to find if we get any fog!

As it's a company car I refuse to pay for any extras due to BIK tax so grey it is then, current car is black so I spose it will be a change.  

Is ‘vapour grey’ posh speak for shiny primer?  I have to confess that it is one of my least favourite colours.  I cannot fathom why some folk specify a shade (especially if it’s an optional extra) that makes your car look as if it escaped from the production line before they had time to finish it.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, NeilB said:

:default_icon_wave:  Hi.  I thought you worked for Volvo?  I know its Marine Division but thought you would be getting a special deal?! 

1 hour ago, Happy said:

:default_icon_wave:  Hi.  I thought you worked for Volvo?  I know its Marine Division but thought you would be getting a special deal?! 

I thought, but maybe I am mistaken, that Geely only bought into the car division and AB Volvo are a separate entity.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Happy said:

This is where it gets complicated... :default_biggrin:   I work for Volvo Penta which is a subsidiary of the Volvo Group, they sold Volvo Cars in the late 90's to Ford who then sold to Geely.  Until 2017 the only link was the Volvo Ironmark brand which was shared and we used the 2.4, 5 cylinder diesel as the D3 engine.  However, in 2017 Geely purchased an 8.25% stake in the Volvo Group for €3.5 billion.

One of the Volvo Groups subsidiaries is Renault Trucks so the default company cars are Renault or Volvo, as I'm customer facing I have to choose a Volvo.  Lovely cars but a tad expensive when you have to pay BIK on them which is why I want my new hybrid V60 so I can reduce my BIK by about 75%.  Although the rates are being reviewed for 2025 so it'll probably go up again!

I think I can get a deal on new Volvos but it's very small, Renaults have good staff discounts but for some reason there's very few in the car park.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, NeilB said:

. . . . . . . . . . . . Renaults have good staff discounts but for some reason there's very few in the car park.

I think I know Griff’s answer to that one!  They’re French!!  :default_hiding:

• Haha 6

4 hours ago, Mouldy said:

Is ‘vapour grey’ posh speak for shiny primer?  I have to confess that it is one of my least favourite colours.  I cannot fathom why some folk specify a shade (especially if it’s an optional extra) that makes your car look as if it escaped from the production line before they had time to finish it.

Probably to match the horrible grey that everyone seems to have on their houses these days. :default_2gunsfiring_v1:

So the flip side of V8s and sports cars:

20230304_114605.thumb.jpg.d0b2593d7fe39b69df59d3df232aff7d.jpg

I've seen this before while driving but the consumption always seems to go up towards the end of the journey to around 70mpg. On Saturday I drove from home in Leicestershire down to Farnborough and this was the screen when I pulled up at the FAST aero museum. Corsa 1.3 eco diesel. Feet on the ground; other forums reckon these instruments are out by about 10% but I'll take that. Mostly motorway, gentle acceleration then set the cruise to 72 - the satnav says 68 - sit and watch the World go by the other way. Not bad for 92K. No road tax and about £160 insurance, I'll keep it until it goes bang.

Insurance: Came through from Esure at £160. It was about right with the search engines so I decided to go with it but I rang to see about changing my details. I am down as a self employed draughtsman but there is no work and I now get state pension. I told the operative and he said that "semi retired" was an option so we went for that. I also dropped the annual mileage from 12K to 7K. He then told me it was £165, "but I haven't applied any discounts yet". OK, go for it...

"I've looked and there are no discounts I can apply". So by being semi retired and staying off the road for long periods, I have become more of a risk. Hmm.

The guy was friendly enough but I explained I thought that was a bit pathetic and petty, so I'll be a self employed draughtsman doing 12K for another 12 months if it's all the same. :default_badday:

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, NeilB said:

Looks like a really nice car 👍

I would be pleased to own one 😁

I checked the speed to rpm’s  ratio on Trevor Transit earlier today. My van is the custom sport version, 2:2Ltr diesel four pot turbo. At bang on 70mph in cog six, the revs are 1’750. That’s acceptable

Only 1’450 rpm lower than Zebedee, also 2:2 but petrol six pot normally aspirated with five cogs

Griff

43 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

I checked the speed to rpm’s  ratio on Trevor Transit earlier today. My van is the custom sport version, 2:2Ltr diesel four pot turbo. At bang on 70mph in cog six, the revs are 1’750. That’s acceptable

Only 1’450 rpm lower than Zebedee, also 2:2 but petrol six pot normally aspirated with five cogs

Griff

That's the German way though 😳

• Sad 1

I’ve been making enquiries re gearbox. My way of thinking is a six speed box or swapping out cog five for a taller one to drop the revs down for higher speed cruising.

Visited a gearbox outfit, good advice but a no go from them. Then it was onto a mates outfit, as well as run of the mill stuff they build enormously powerful drag strip cars for clients. 

They are now looking into various solutions.  I can but hope

Griff

On 02/03/2023 at 14:24, Smoggy said:

I knew someone who used an ejector seat and ended up shorter, I told him they're not suitable for helicopters....

As a matter of fact some helicopters do - most notably the KA-52 Alligator ( often seen in Ukranian fields these days )

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=video&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjKrcHC08n9AhWFRkEAHW_CBaAQtwJ6BAgCEAI&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DL8CjRw3kOXk&usg=AOvVaw0OfdcQ3xLygEu9KgEkQ04H

1 hour ago, BroadAmbition said:

I’ve been making enquiries re gearbox. My way of thinking is a six speed box or swapping out cog five for a taller one to drop the revs down for higher speed cruising.

Visited a gearbox outfit, good advice but a no go from them. Then it was onto a mates outfit, as well as run of the mill stuff they build enormously powerful drag strip cars for clients. 

They are now looking into various solutions.  I can but hope

Griff

Careful it doesn't mess up your insurance, as an undeclared modification.

• Thanks 1