Car Talk

LondonRascal

18 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

My son Harry has plans. This Wolsey Hornet has sat in the garage since he was about 2 years old, so the poor ol' thing has sat there for over 30 years. 

Get me...posting on the car talk thread. LOL.

OOOH a posh mini! Still holding good prices in good condition.

Nice easy cars to work on as long as the subframes are still intact and their mounts, most other structure is a breeze to work on and new panels are still available.

Used to be my bread and butter at one time. Even bought my Ex one as her first car.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MargeandParge said:

It looks to be all there and not messed with it should be a great project. 

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

A posh Mini 

It has definitely not been messed about with! My Mum’s cousin bought it from new (it has an Anglesey number plate…that’s the EY bit) and he sold it to us shortly after we got married in 1983. So two owners to date. :default_biggrin:

We moved to MK a couple of months after getting married and soon realised that we needed a car to get about. We weren’t that well off as I’d only been working for a few months and Graham had only graduated a few weeks before we got married.

A couple of years into ownership we had some work done, floor was a bit rusty, so that was seen to, re-spray to the original paint colours, plus other work. I think we spent about £3k on her, which was a whopping sum in those days.

When Harry came along we swapped the front passenger seat belt to accommodate his car seat. Once Alec came along we already had another car, and the old Wolsey got consigned to the garage, though Graham always intended getting her doing again.

Life just gets in the way of those projects. Glad that Harry is very enthusiastic about getting her going again. There are positives. The wheels turn! The radiator is intact and the dipstick shows there is oil present…even if it smells naff! Just need to get her out of the garage now. AND reclaim the garage! 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, grendel said:

will he ever fit in it, or will he just sit in the back seat? it looks tiny

Graham used to drive it, and Harry is the same height as his Dad. 

4 minutes ago, Tobster said:

That car will be worth a fortune, even in it’s current condition.

Take a look at the program “Bangers and cash” on the Freeview channel called Yesterday.

It’s going back in the garage whilst we are in Norfolk! 

Within the family it's value is priceless; you could never replace it. It could be sold with, "been in the same family from new", but only once then it would change hands as bit of currency and that would be a great shame.

He'll keep it and love it; you can see how pleased he is with it! Good luck to him! 

I got away from classic cars because of the inflated price of spares due to everyone wanting profit. Go to a classic car show and you hear endless bs about how much they paid, what's it worth and how much it sold for. 

I had a Riley Elf automatic - fantastic little car. But it would have been uneconomic for me to have repaired at the time. Afraid the rot had got too much of a hold. I still miss the sheer fun of skittling around in that car. Wish I could have stored it somehow, I could afford to repair it now! 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, floydraser said:

Within the family it's value is priceless; you could never replace it. It could be sold with, "been in the same family from new", but only once then it would change hands as bit of currency and that would be a great shame.

He'll keep it and love it; you can see how pleased he is with it! Good luck to him! 

I asked Harry if he's going to sell it once he gets it going. No way, he replied...he's going to enjoy it. Mind you, he does need to learn to drive first. At least he now has a motivation for learning to drive. He's also told his brother that he can use it too if he learns to drive.

It's about time the two of them stopped relying on Dad's taxi service!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hi If he intends to drive it in the rain it needs a 6inch square of ally clipped on the inside of the font grill in line with the distributor cap to stop water blowing onto the cap and shorting out the ignition. John

8 minutes ago, annv said:

Hi If he intends to drive it in the rain it needs a 6inch square of ally clipped on the inside of the font grill in line with the distributor cap to stop water blowing onto the cap and shorting out the ignition. John

Or a yellow marigold rubber glove over the distribtor cap. :default_biggrin:

59 minutes ago, floydraser said:

Once rebuilt with modern parts and a bit of passion, most classics end up in better fettle than when they left the production line.

When I worked in an Austin/ Rover workshop in the late seventies. We had a brand new Allegro come back to the workshop for a strange rattle when cornering.

Took us many hours of driving with someone lying where the rear seat should be to trace said rattle.

Finally traced to the cross member under the front seats. Bodyshop removed said cross member to find three rather large nuts tack welded together, so they would only just fit across the cross member and not fall over.

The nuts not only didn't fit anywhere on the car but to be welded together. Must have been a Friday afternoon prank. BL replaced the car and picked up the offending vehicle and nuts to investigate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 19/06/2023 at 22:10, YnysMon said:

My son Harry has plans. This Wolsey Hornet has sat in the garage since he was about 2 years old, so the poor ol' thing has sat there for over 30 years. 

Get me...posting on the car talk thread. LOL.

IMG_20230619_162519837_HDR.thumb.jpg.a4fa5d6bfd662073c3901a9bb40c4b85.jpg

We’re they also known as Riley Elf’s or am I mistaken?