Car Talk

LondonRascal

Wether the clutch operates or not it's quite likely the friction plate is stuck to the flywheel or pressure plate, I've had to free a clutch off on a tr7 which was stood for far less time, it was a case of one of us with it in gear and foot on clutch revving the hell out of it while the other let the trolley jack down suddenly, an operation that needs careful planning and quick reaction as it can go very wrong (especially on a front wheel drive car), it took many attempts before it released with a bang, definately NOT to be attempted in a confined area and make sure the brakes are good first.

34 minutes ago, grendel said:

well that about eliminates the stuck on brakes idea, is the clutch on those hydraulic, or cable operated.

its not the brick under the wheel stopping it moving is it?:default_coat:

The clutch will hydraulic on that car.

you could check the gear linkage underneath the car, as the pin may have come out, basically the gearstick may not be connected to the gearbox properly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

Wether the clutch operates or not it's quite likely the friction plate is stuck to the flywheel or pressure plate, I've had to free a clutch off on a tr7 which was stood for far less time, it was a case of one of us with it in gear and foot on clutch revving the hell out of it while the other let the trolley jack down suddenly, an operation that needs careful planning and quick reaction as it can go very wrong (especially on a front wheel drive car), it took many attempts before it released with a bang, definately NOT to be attempted in a confined area and make sure the brakes are good first.

Before starting the engine, how about trying the same in top gear with a few people "rocking" it backwards and forwards?

Look inside the bonnet and to the left hand side or O.S of the engine there will be an arm coming up to a cylinder from the center of the bell housing it has a large nut on the bell housing end and a rod going into a cylinder. Get someone to depress the clutch and see if it moves away from the adjustable stop that it will be resting against. There should be a spring holding the rod into the cylinder. It should move about an inch away from the stop. Don't adjust anything if it doesn't move you have a hydraulic problem to sort out first and then the plate may be stuck. 

You can get the clutch out with the engine in the car but will need to pull the flywheel as they are a little different with the driven plate on the inside of the flywheel. 

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

I’m still awake M&P! Agreed liquid engineering (for those of us who can remember the adverts) is the right sauce for the goose.

Now, I hope this doesn’t breach the TOS (advance apology otherwise) but can I recommend a good website for tinkers of British cars of yesteryear, “aronline”, I did find a photo of project Utah at the Pleasure Boat Inn on there a while back and what with bmc 1.5’s having been a staple broads boat propulsion lump it could be linked either hydraulically or by wire if appropriate...

• Like 1

And remember these old spec non synthetic oils have a recommended oil and filter change at 6000 miles or just 3000 if doing short, around town driving.

With the gearbox sharing the engine oil you don't want anything that gets too thin when hot. That is why I had an oil cooler fitted to my Clubman before taking on the 750km Autostrada del Sole.

The 998cc four speed set up was only just capable of attaining the Italian speed limit so the 39 horses were straining hard, hour after hour.

As an aside 39 bhp from a 998cc four pot, then, mine was a 72. Ford are now getting 170hp from their 999cc three pot in the Puma ST auto.

Not a recommendation but Halfords do this :-

20230627_055602.thumb.jpg.89f3df2e88c6623d36f1badaa56de0ef.jpg

The recent postings on this thread have brought back so many happy memories, of over 50 years ago now. When my late wife Judith and I, first as boyfriend/girlfriend then in 1971 a  married couple shared a real passion for Continental touring/camping. Here, sadly not in very good condition are our steeds:-

20230627_065927.thumb.jpg.a9b8fd197bbcff9dec926b3a3ca9d7de.jpg

20230627_070032.thumb.jpg.41f2b9fd0e9d8fb943eee278d9ab8f47.jpg

20230627_070941.thumb.jpg.6677b8c9ad561bf313a46b043b1ff1e4.jpg

I have to admit to being a somewhat indulged only son. The cars were all bought new.

• Like 5

Hi AND after he moved it he applied the hand brake!! which is rusty so is now sized on,  knock hand brake levers that protrude from the rear back plate off/to the rear. Don't apply hand brake again until they have been freed of . John

• Like 1

Hi If clutch not releasing depress clutch pedal then keeping it depressed place a wooden tapered wedge between clutch lever and stop release pedal and depress again pushing peg in further this will hold pressure plate in the released/depressed position then rock car back and forth in gear if still stuck remove timing cover plate on top of the bell housing and then turn flywheel until you can see the plate in the gap between flywheel and pressure  plate using a small screw driver pry plate away from flywheel, when free, remove peg and set the gap between lever and stop at 25 thou,  also oil the plunger at the centre of cover where lever connects . John

Volvo washers packed up the other day, here's why:

20230628_115152.thumb.jpg.c085c3da252113dbd03e01377848d657.jpg

All this was "growing" in the washer bottle. Apparently there are various reasons for it and just as many cures. 

Looking on Youtube to see how to get to the washer pump I was amazed to find it takes just a few minutes to remove the headlights and bumber:

20230628_115210.thumb.jpg.70e004e34666365987599513446b2d3b.jpg

Cures: Use winter strength additive all year round - add bleach - add meths - don't mix brands of additive.

Any more? I was surprised not to vinegar in the recommendations?

Hi We add a spot of Dettle when we top up screen washers in addition to screen wash,  this stops the growth of (frogs) spawn that often blocks the jets, in particular the rear one if not used regularly much easier than cleaning out the hoses and pump. John

• Like 2

1 hour ago, floydraser said:

Volvo washers packed up the other day, here's why:

20230628_115152.thumb.jpg.c085c3da252113dbd03e01377848d657.jpg

All this was "growing" in the washer bottle. Apparently there are various reasons for it and just as many cures. 

Looking on Youtube to see how to get to the washer pump I was amazed to find it takes just a few minutes to remove the headlights and bumber:

20230628_115210.thumb.jpg.70e004e34666365987599513446b2d3b.jpg

Cures: Use winter strength additive all year round - add bleach - add meths - don't mix brands of additive.

Any more? I was surprised not to vinegar in the recommendations?

I would not think that meths would be kind to wiper blades 

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, grendel said:

I knew about the headlights, just pull 2 retaining pins and they are out, havent had a need to remove bumpers yet.

The bumper is held by two 10mm bolts and two plastic rivet things where you push the plastic pin through and then hope you can find it afterwards. Then unclip the panels from each other with a trim tool. Or bit of old plastic cutting board with chamfered edge in my case. 

• Thanks 1

Good Old Archant

Whilst researching the Ford Heritage Centre I came across the above's library photo of a Mustang!!?????

You can see where the Mk3 Cortina heritage lies. Unbelievable 

Screenshot_20230708_145537_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c98e9c8cef3d0da8056cde654a287f02.jpg

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

Good Old Archant

Whilst researching the Ford Heritage Centre I came across the above's library photo of a Mustang!!?????

You can see where the Mk3 Cortina heritage lies. Unbelievable 

Screenshot_20230708_145537_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c98e9c8cef3d0da8056cde654a287f02.jpg

They must have had a short life, between the 2 and three models. :default_biggrin:

• 1 month later...

Tomorrow - Classic car run commencing at a village pub.  120 miles via checkpoints.  My MrsG to be co driver / navigator.

I'll be well impressed if we see one checkpoint never mind arriving back in the correct county / village / pub.  We are going in Zebedee of course, first time we have joined in owt like this, looking forward to it.  Just need the Wx to play ball so we can keep the top down

Griff