Upton Dyke

Steve2604

Ive have hired boats on the broads for the last 5 or 6 years and have never been to the White Horse as I have been abit wary of Upton Dyke as it is supposedly very narrow. Its one of the few places ive not been to but want to. Can anyone tell me how long the Dyke is and would you advise not to go down there unless very experienced and confident. Thanks in advance

Steve

• Like 2

We have been once and would like to go again

It is fairly narrow takes about  10 minutes to reach the end I think.Our boat is 29 foot we turned it coming back,all be it about10 point  turns.All said and done a lovely pub.We at that time did not eat there,because I had a meal ready on board. The menu looked good.What I like is the story behind the pub.As many will know the public got together to safe the pub.Give it a go it's a great pub.

• Like 1

This has been covered many times. As Ian says it takes maybe 5 to 10 minutes to the end. It's not quite as narrow as it was! But still narrow, care needed. You can moor either on the public moorings on the left (room for 3 or 4 boats) or on a hire boat at Whelptons yard on the right if there is space. Just take it slowly and carefully. I've got loads of photos I will try to post later. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Steve2604 said:

Is there anywhere to pullbover at all if you meet another boat or could I end up reversing half the length of the Dyke?

No, just pull over. It's tight but if you meet another boat slow right down, there should be enough room depending on the boars moored on the right bank. There shouldn't be a need to reverse. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, vanessan said:

It’s been said many times that the best way to turn at the end, if you have any doubts, is using your ropes. Thus you avoid 10/15/20 point turns. 

I agree about  ropes,on the day we went there were boats making it all but impossible to use ropes.So I did it on the water.Not a problem part of the fun.

We took Swallow down there years ago and met somebody halfway down. We nestled into a small gap between moored boats and they got by, although it was close, but the dyke has been widened since. Once there, we turned her 28ft round easily. That said, for large boats, i totally agree, turn them round on ropes, much easier, and safer with less chance of causing damage to other boats accidentally. 

3 hours ago, Baitrunner said:

Can you still wild moor at the entrance? 

Im sure there used to be a spot right at the entrance. 

2 hours ago, Poppy said:

Indeed you can. It's a pleasant walk down the dyke to the basin from there.

I’m pretty sure I have seen a ‘no mooring’ sign on that corner in recent times, was someone trying it on? It also seems very popular with anglers. 

23 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Upton moorings (public) plenty of room to turn our 30ft , in fact have been down there numerous times in hire boats including Spitfire which was 44ft

8087E751-5D7A-4A9A-AF58-B1EFD9DAB0F6.jpeg

3B8698C2-681E-406A-AE77-D71B247E9A0E.jpeg

Are the public moorings just the ones at the bottom on the left by the benches?

13 hours ago, vanessan said:

I’m pretty sure I have seen a ‘no mooring’ sign on that corner in recent times, was someone trying it on? It also seems very popular with anglers

There was a no mooring sign there last August Vanessan. I like the moorings but had to continue on to the Stracey Windpump moorings as Stokesby was full to bursting as usual.