Best Maps/guides With Mooring Info Etc.

simonwootton

A really quick one ......

Just looking for an up to date map/guide that details the rivers/bridges/mooring info (free/chargeable) etc.

I'll get most info online before we go, but wondered if there was a recommended publication containing the above?
Cheers

Simon

Simon, there are maps available from the boatyards that give a lot of this information, plus I am in the process of trying to create a resource for this forum that details these things too, but mine is not ready yet as it has barely ptrogressed past the base map level, and I am adding detail about things such as moorings on a regular basis.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Captain said:

Herbert Woods also provide a detailed map or atleast did when I used to hire with them

Neil

We hired from them last month and the map they supply is excellent:1310_thumbsup_tone1:

Also the Broadcaster magazine, available all over Broadland for free, has a variety of useful info in it too.

Edited by WherryNice
Broadcaster
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The one that Richardsons used to give you is great, unfortunately being paper they don't seem to last

The one we got given by Swancraft was pretty much useless

The one supplied by Richardson is by Heron Maps (picture below) which you can buy from outlets around the Broads, I got a copy from the shop at Womack a few years ago

However you can get them online see link below, at £5.99 if it's the same one as HW supply I would suggest they subsidise the cost or get a big discount for bulk buying

However, they do a laminated one at £12.99 which I bought last year which is pretty much indestructible!

Even that wouldn't help with the one that blew out of the boat on Breydon Water, and I'm not stupid enough to try and fish it out on there!  :default_wink:

www.guidepost.uk.com/guidepost/The-Broads-Waterways-Map.html

001.thumb.JPG.454c45029664aa8828b267433161112f.JPG

002.JPG

• Like 1

here is the river Thurne section of my map currently under production, detail is still being added, but It can be used on the fly from the pdf or printed out (at whatever size you please as I have included a scale bar.) chopped into handy page sized chunks for navigation purposes, other sections might come available as time passes, I do have the whole map as a pdf, but that is currently a huge (22mb ) file. and likewise still to be completed.

River Thurne.pdf

• Like 3

9 hours ago, tim said:

Useful link - thanks.

That company also has the Nicholson Waterway Guide - does anybody know if that is any good?

My limited experience of boating has been on the Shannon and Erne where you need a good chart (and binoculars to read marker numbers) to make sure you know where you are and make sure you don't end up on the rocks. I get the impression that the Broads are a bit more gentle in that respect.

• 2 months later...
On 14/06/2019 at 10:58, tim said:

The one that Richardsons used to give you is great, unfortunately being paper they don't seem to last

The one we got given by Swancraft was pretty much useless

The one supplied by Richardson is by Heron Maps (picture below) which you can buy from outlets around the Broads, I got a copy from the shop at Womack a few years ago

However you can get them online see link below, at £5.99 if it's the same one as HW supply I would suggest they subsidise the cost or get a big discount for bulk buying

Well, for what it's worth I can now reveal that the map Herbert Woods give you when you hire has £4 as the cover price.

It's paper, and after two weeks hard use it now contains lots of holes at the folds, but is still just in one piece.

It seems to be their own production because the photos inside are credited to Herbert Woods.

But I'm sure they don't do their own mapping and indeed the mapping is clearly the same as seen in the photo above from the Heron Maps one. 

image.thumb.png.acf71bb9f3784d81fc532e3317c21e26.png

Here's my Guidepost laminated map (link above) now 4 years old and going strong. It's been rained on, left out in the morning dew and even had a tea spilt on it, more than once.

Well worth the money.

The red dots are dog friendly pubs :)IMG-20190826-WA0000.jpeg

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

I've been collecting Broads maps since I was a kid. Among my many projects on the back burner is a book and video series on the history of the Broads laying the historical and modern maps out side by side.

One of my favourite maps is this one. It gets a lot of information into a small space and is very easy to follow.

norfolkbroadsmetro.jpg

• Like 4