A Boat For Hickling

MauriceMynah

Rather than further derail the retired thread, and thinking that this might become a useful guide for other potential boat buyers, I start this thread.

I am looking for a cruiser (not sailing boat) that will pass under Potter Heigham bridge more often than not. For my purposes that means when the height gauge in the pilots office is showing 6'3" clearance but please include other craft that can regularly get under. There are only a few craft under 25' that can't make the trip so I am looking for a list of 30' or greater.

Again, for me the craft has to be GRP hull and superstructure. I am well aware that Martham boats can regularly get under, but as these are high maintenance wooden craft and I am as lazier fellow as you are likely to come across as well as DIY inept said boats are inappropriate for me.

I prefer to be holding a G&T or beer in my hand rather than some wet string, so sailing craft are equally inappropriate.

So it's over to you oh wise and knowledgeable forumites to put me on the right track for my quest.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

Rather than further derail the retired thread, and thinking that this might become a useful guide for other potential boat buyers, I start this thread.

I am looking for a cruiser (not sailing boat) that will pass under Potter Heigham bridge more often than not. For my purposes that means when the height gauge in the pilots office is showing 6'3" clearance but please include other craft that can regularly get under. There are only a few craft under 25' that can't make the trip so I am looking for a list of 30' or greater.

Again, for me the craft has to be GRP hull and superstructure. I am well aware that Martham boats can regularly get under, but as these are high maintenance wooden craft and I am as lazier fellow as you are likely to come across as well as DIY inept said boats are inappropriate for me.

I prefer to be holding a G&T or beer in my hand rather than some wet string, so sailing craft are equally inappropriate.

So it's over to you oh wise and knowledgeable forumites to put me on the right track for my quest.  

Would you consider a bathtub John?.

The key I am suspect, is not the air draught ,but the width!!

Anything out towards the 12' mark will always be more limiting so look for boats with perhaps a 10' beam or less - when you get up to 30' I suspect they are often up to the 12' level.

But they will be out there.......! Its just finding one you like!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Would you consider a bathtub John?.

Yes, as long as it would get under PHB. I like the DC30 quite a bit though the forward helm of a bathtub is my least favourite helm position.

On the plus side of the bathtub concept is that when you're moored stern on, you get to sit in the saloon looking out on the broad.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, marshman said:

The key I am suspect, is not the air draught ,but the width!!

Anything out towards the 12' mark will always be more limiting so look for boats with perhaps a 10' beam or less - when you get up to 30' I suspect they are often up to the 12' level.

But they will be out there.......! Its just finding one you like!

agreed Marshman, I reckon these days 10'6" is about the limit. That's why I was asking about the Broom Skipper. Did Broom make a longer version but the same beam?

10 minutes ago, gancanny said:

elysian do a 34ft and again 10 6in wide  centre cockpit with  fully fold down sides

Interesting. Do you have any more information on one with fold down sides? or the Bourne 35 also with fold down sides. Sliding wheelhouses now do not seem to be able to make the trip under PHB.

• Like 1

I get the feeling I seem to have thrown the gauntlet down. There are some members who say that only boats that can navigate under all of the bridges can be called "Suitable broads boats". So! lets see a list of boats suitable for the Norfolk Broads! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gancanny said:

what about an ocean 30,  only 10 6in wide ,  rear cockpit and a fold down canopy

based on a broom 30 hull  so maybe ok for that bridge

Great boats, but the centre section of cabin looks a bit high. Worth a definite look though.

Yes, the Elysian 34 has a high sliding canopy, and will NOT fit under PHB, and boats like San Moritz being a Bourne 35 with the same size sliding top is the same. 

I still stand by the bathtub theme, as Whispering Reeds had 3 which were ballasted to go under that stone blockage, the same goes for my old favourite the DC30. All is needed is some extra well spaced ballast, so maybe a few extra bottles or cans when you arrive? :default_gbxhmm: :default_norty: :default_laugh:

36 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Yes, the Ocean 30 is again one of my favourites, but what is it's air draft? I've not seen one outside the Pleasure Boat!

A pram-top Ocean 30 has an air draft of 6ft 6 and a narrow enough beam the only problem would (or could) be the height of the bow rails , speaking to an owner of a similar boat he said he could get through Potter at usual low water (what ever that is nowadays) but has been stuck the wrong side when weather had changed .

We considered converting ours to a pram top to enable us to reach all of the Broads , well through Wroxham at least .

I would have thought that to get a finite answer to your original question , a visit and a chat with the pilot at Potter is called for 

If by Bow rails you mean pulpit, then that wouldn't be a problem, I'd take it off. Without crew, a pulpit is just another hazard albeit a nice looking one.

I would imagine that the airdraft is highly variable between layouts in the same way that Expilot informs us that DC30's are. but if feasible the Ocean is a possibility.

As I may well live on it for a couple of years, I would have to look at the model with the extra cabin on the starboard side. 

Putting bags of cement onboard isn't the way I'd like to go, I have to admit, but if the devil drives and all that!