A Boat For Hickling

MauriceMynah

Brundall Navy is absolutely spot on, BUT, it is the newer (longer) Connoisseurs that more often these days make the trip.  At a push I have taken these back through the bridge at 6' 6" and, in my opinion, it would only take a minor screen support modification to reduce that figure a little more.  The older Connoisseurs need 6' 8" and the two-berth, fixed screen Connoisseurs 6' 10".  Those coming back from France (hulls covered in diagonal black fendering) with their handrails on top of the sliding canopy need more than 6' 8"

All of the centre cockpit, sliding canopy classes vary enormously.  Variation is caused by the degree to which the canopy can be slid back and the squareness or otherwise of the canopy shape.

All Ocean 30s need 6' 7" except those that originated from Neatishead, which required 6' 8" due to the addition of a hardwood screen upstand.

Broom 30 Skippers (with canvas hoods and drop down screens and side screens need) 6' 6" provided they haven't had pulpits, pushpits and side stanchions added.

Sliding canopy Hamptons need 6' 7" . The Safaris with sliding roof hatch, instead of full sliding canopy, 6' 5" or less depending on ballast.

I don't know if it is my imagination, but I rather think that, as these older grp boats age, they seem to get heavier and sit slightly lower in the water than when first launched.

I feel an NBN publication of "Boat Heights for Potter Bridge" coming on.

As always, please treat the above as generalisations.  There will always be exceptions where boats have been modified by a succession of private owners' particular wishes. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, expilot said:

What a fine and useful guide that would be.

4 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Bilge pumps in my case :default_biggrin: and yes they were removed.

You removed your bilge pumps? Now, that IS confidence.

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, expilot said:

Brundall Navy is absolutely spot on, BUT, it is the newer (longer) Connoisseurs that more often these days make the trip.  At a push I have taken these back through the bridge at 6' 6" and, in my opinion, it would only take a minor screen support modification to reduce that figure a little more.  The older Connoisseurs need 6' 8" and the two-berth, fixed screen Connoisseurs 6' 10".  Those coming back from France (hulls covered in diagonal black fendering) with their handrails on top of the sliding canopy need more than 6' 8"

All of the centre cockpit, sliding canopy classes vary enormously.  Variation is caused by the degree to which the canopy can be slid back and the squareness or otherwise of the canopy shape.

All Ocean 30s need 6' 7" except those that originated from Neatishead, which required 6' 8" due to the addition of a hardwood screen upstand.

Broom 30 Skippers (with canvas hoods and drop down screens and side screens need) 6' 6" provided they haven't had pulpits, pushpits and side stanchions added.

Sliding canopy Hamptons need 6' 7" . The Safaris with sliding roof hatch, instead of full sliding canopy, 6' 5" or less depending on ballast.

I don't know if it is my imagination, but I rather think that, as these older grp boats age, they seem to get heavier and sit slightly lower in the water than when first launched.

As always, please treat the above as generalisations.  There will always be exceptions where boats have been modified by a succession of private owners' particular wishes. 

An excellent concise, informative and accurate post , just goes to prove acquired knowledge far surpasses anything else 

A couple out of left field...
Thorneycroft 29' although not as much room as Nyx .
There's the Buckingham 31' center cockpit narrow beam (6' beam).
Maybe the Shetland 32?
Or the Viking 32 Highline
271749_-_photo_5_1562150467_img.jpg
Depending on how much beer on board/speed you can get up to approaching bridge...any boat would fit! Of course we could find an idiot and sell them the bridge...buyer collects! :default_norty:

3 minutes ago, Timbo said:

Maybe the Shetland 32?
Depending on how much beer on board/speed you can get up to approaching bridge...any boat would fit! Of course we could find an idiot and sell them the bridge...buyer collects! :default_norty:

Now where could we find someone rich enough or stupid enough to do that if we could I guess we would come up Trumps 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Timbo said:

Maybe the Shetland 32?

That's a V32.  6ft 10" beam and will get through most of the time. My dear departed friend  and forum stalward Viking 23 would take his V23 through when hardly any boat could.

• Like 1

Hi

Braveheart is indeed up for sale, have a look in the Boat and gear for sale section of this forum.

But I can confirm that the cockpit top does not move! Braveheart is a Skipper but modified to fixed roof, especially low to suit Onsney Bridge on the Thames, has an 7'8" clearance. So I think Potter would be a bridge to far :default_icon_e_biggrin:.

I think our Viking 26 Aft Cabin 'Blue Skies' would have gotten under, as would our Bounty 30 Dawn Princess.

John.