Bizarre!

vanessan

15 minutes ago, vanessan said:

English tomatoes are so nice 

I've seen plenty of em lately due to this sunny spell we have had. They don't look too nice to me though :default_smiley-angelic002:

20190724_114712.thumb.jpg.6b5410005358c90e2fb803e69cb318cb.jpg

29 minutes ago, vanessan said:

. English tomatoes are so nice so why on earth can’t the supermarkets stock them? Before anybody mentions it, we sadly haven’t got a farm shop near us otherwise I would be there like a shot. 

First point, EU regulations, and YES, we are not allowed to eat some of our own produce because of it. 

Second point, where are you, i have it in mind you live in Kent, is that right?.

5 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

First point, EU regulations, and YES, we are not allowed to eat some of our own produce because of it. 

Second point, where are you, i have it in mind you live in Kent, is that right?.

Another good reason to get out of the coming dictatorship

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, vanessan said:

It was the trunks, honest. 🤭

I thought they matched the skin tone I was after :default_smiley-angelic002:

Of course, it's not really me. I'd never be caught sleeping with my mouth wide open like that. Not after the last time :default_smiley-angelic002:

52 minutes ago, grendel said:

give me farm shop (locally produced tomatoes with a bit of flavour or home grown out of the garden any day.

I couldn’t agree more. No farm shop nearby and we aren’t at home enough to look after home grown ones. I like to call into Meale’s at Wayford when I am up that way although, sadly, it seems to have changed recently and is heading more into a gift and garden ornament retailer. I have noticed in recent years that some farm shops are charging unrealistic prices for local produce, I guess that may be something we will have to get used to with Brexit!

1 hour ago, vanessan said:

I couldn’t agree more. No farm shop nearby and we aren’t at home enough to look after home grown ones. I like to call into Meale’s at Wayford when I am up that way although, sadly, it seems to have changed recently and is heading more into a gift and garden ornament retailer. I have noticed in recent years that some farm shops are charging unrealistic prices for local produce, I guess that may be something we will have to get used to with Brexit!

Is that the one up the road towards Stalham, we went there at least 15 years ago, and they had a home made steak pie, it was nearly £5.00 back then, it was quite a size though, and farm shops have ALWAYS been expensive, as they`re sourced in smaller quantities, and seeing as it`s been like that for years, i don`t think Brexit has anything to do with it. Don`t believe all the scaremongering.

6 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

farm shops have ALWAYS been expensive, 

Some may have but certainly not all. One that I am able to get to from time to time has, in the past, proved to be considerably cheaper than any of the main supermarkets. These days that’s not quite so true although the quality is very often better.

10 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

don`t think Brexit has anything to do with it. Don`t believe all the scaremongering.

Surely even you realise that Brexit is going to be used as an excuse for some price increases, particularly by unscrupulous vendors! 

• Like 1

We sometimes use the drive in Costas when on the motorway, but we do keep a couple of Waitrose coffee cups with lids in the car and we get a discount off our Costas coffee for using them. 

Can't stand the taste of Starbucks though.

Helen

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vanessan said:

Some may have but certainly not all. One that I am able to get to from time to time has, in the past, proved to be considerably cheaper than any of the main supermarkets. These days that’s not quite so true although the quality is very often better.

Surely even you realise that Brexit is going to be used as an excuse for some price increases, particularly by unscrupulous vendors! 

Excuses yes, but NOT the reason. Pure greed is the reason.

9 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

I have absolutely no doubt that there would be no circumstances under which Gracie would drink wine while she's driving... She wouldn't be able to read the prices in the shoe shops as she passed them. 

Plus she would spill a lot of the vino.

On 23/07/2019 at 22:34, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

I`ve had a drink while i`m driving thousands of times with no problems. You can easily sip a drink while still watching where you`re going, especially if it`s a bottle with a spouty thing. If it`s a screw top, Karen always unscrews it for me first.

Hi Neil,

That must be quite a task when on the bike:default_norty:

Regards 

Alan

• Haha 1

On ‎23‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 16:05, vanessan said:

Not actually bizarre but something I find myself questioning, is the emergence of Starbuck’s ‘drive throughs’. They seem to be springing up all over the place particularly at Motorway Services. I can see the benefit in not having to queue inside but isn’t it encouraging people to drive off and drink their coffee or whatever as they drive? There is a Starbuck’s drive through at the Maidstone Services in Kent, it is actually situated after you have left the car park and are on the road exiting the services. 

One thing worth bearing in mind however, is that it is not actually illegal to drink, or eat when driving. That's off course assuming the driver hadn't actually used the drive through for the other occupants of the car. Coffee can also take a long time to cool down to a drinkable temperature, so it's also possible that the driver has pulled over and stopped somewhere by the time they drink there coffee, although I still go back to the point that it is not illegal to drink when driving anyway, other than alcohol off course.

Indeed scientists at Loughborough University found that driving while dehydrated can be just as dangerous as drink driving, so it can be more dangerous not to have a drink in the car with you. However, what is bizarre, is that if you use your phone to pay for your drive through coffee while your engine is running you DO risk a fine for using a mobile device whilst in control of a vehicle!!!

• Like 1

On ‎24‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 12:02, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Which one? Eurosceptics have been using sound bites like this for years to further their cause, but it is meaningless unless you state an example of the regulation. Remember the famous ban on curved bananas, again a proven Euromyth.

21 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

Indeed scientists at Loughborough University found that driving while dehydrated can be just as dangerous as drink driving, so it can be more dangerous not to have a drink in the car with you. However, what is bizarre, is that if you use your phone to pay for your drive through coffee while your engine is running you DO risk a fine for using a mobile device whilst in control of a vehicle!!!

Although I suspect the number of people who have actually been fined for that can be counted on the fingers of one foot.

I passed a KFC drive through this week. The stop line for the ordering place was put so that even a single car there was blocking the zebra crossing for non-car users. I would hope nobody would be in trouble for stopping there.