From The Quayside

SwanR

That was it then. Another wonderful few days away in a place that we love.

I've put some video clips and photos together, including the swing bridge at Reedham and the boats at the entrance to Breydon Water. Enjoy!

• Like 9

The video was really good. I especially liked the part where you were at Burgh Castle, overlooking where the Waveney and the Yare converge. At first I looked at it and didn't recognise it. So unusual to see the two rivers from that angle. I'm guessing its a walk from the Fishermans Inn? I would think it would make a good site to fly my drone from.

Burgh Castle.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DAVIDH said:

I'm guessing its a walk from the Fishermans Inn? I would think it would make a good site to fly my drone from.

Glad you liked the video. Yes I believe you could walk along the bank from the Fishermans Inn as I overheard someone talking about this while we were there. 

I would think it would be an interesting place to fly your drone. I was zoomed in quite a lot at our first stopping point hence some of the footage is a little shaky. But I thought it was a view that might not be immediately obvious as to where it was. We were so fortunate that the tide times were right, and the rivers were busy.

Once we had walked down the boardwalk to the second place where I took some of the video, we were almost by the water's edge. I was interested, watching it back, to realise how narrow the channel appeared at low water on that stretch of the Waveney.

I can't tell you how stupidly excited I was just to see all the boats, and hear some of their engines as well!!

• Like 2

Super video Jean. Nice to see scenes from view points not usually taken. Highlight for me being the flotilla of boats all keeping to the speed limit through Burgh Castle behind the rangers launch. Great choice of music too.

Fred

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, trambo said:

Highlight for me being the flotilla of boats all keeping to the speed limit through Burgh Castle behind the rangers launch. Great choice of music too.

Thanks Fred. I laughed at that little convoy behind the ranger as well. :)

Glad you liked the music. It generally doesn't take me too long to put the content together but picking the music takes me hours!! It is always music that I own ... none of this streaming business for me, I still buy CDs. I try to make sure that I won't fall foul of the copyright issues on YouTube but also that it gives me the right feeling I'm looking for. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DAVIDH said:

The video was really good. I especially liked the part where you were at Burgh Castle, overlooking where the Waveney and the Yare converge. At first I looked at it and didn't recognise it. So unusual to see the two rivers from that angle. I'm guessing its a walk from the Fishermans Inn? I would think it would make a good site to fly my drone from.

Burgh Castle.jpg

David - the walk from the Burgh Castle moorings or the Fishermen’s to the castle itself is a nice one and the views across the estuary when you get there are lovely. It would be cracking to see drone footage from above the castle, hope you can make it sometime. 

57 minutes ago, vanessan said:

David - the walk from the Burgh Castle moorings or the Fishermen’s to the castle itself is a nice one and the views across the estuary when you get there are lovely. It would be cracking to see drone footage from above the castle, hope you can make it sometime. 

i had already been thinking of launching it there, to get Breydon and perhaps Berney Arms, if I'm brave enough to let it travel that far. So it's on my list but as my next trip isn't until November, and I think it will be too "wild" then it will have to wait until May next year. :default_sad:

30 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

i had already been thinking of launching it there, to get Breydon and perhaps Berney Arms, if I'm brave enough to let it travel that far. So it's on my list but as my next trip isn't until November, and I think it will be too "wild" then it will have to wait until May next year. :default_sad:

Something to look forward to then. From the Burgh Castle ruins you get a great view right across to Berney Arms so the drone camera should catch it well. Sometimes November can be nice, you just never know. 

On ‎11‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 17:18, SwanR said:

Lol Jay, you are a one ... I thought somebody was bound to mention the C word ... Mods, please note it wasn't me!  :default_smiley-angelic002:

Maybe someone will gift you your boat Jay if you've been a good boy all year ... I'm sure that Grace will be along to vouch for your behaviour. :default_norty:

I do believe you mentioned the C word first a few years back about September time I think and got a telling off from our Broadscot :default_biggrin:

Oh my goodness Jean, Jay a good boy? You are talking about my Jay aren't you? The same Jay that mentioned the C word in June :facepalm:

On ‎11‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 21:20, Jayfire said:

I'd love to be gifted my boat Mrs SR, but it doesn't look like I'll be getting one this year if good behaviour is necessary, and I wouldn't go expecting Grace to get anything either, not if you knew what we've been up to :default_biggrin:

I did buy you a boat, okay so it's just a kayak but it floats none the less, we hope anyway :default_biggrin: 

Jean sorry for the topic wander. It's been lovely to read, the photos lovely as usual too and the video stunning, thank you so much for posting

Grace

• Like 1

That is exactly it Helen. We've thought about going somewhere else but neither of us has much inclination for travelling far these days. And we've both let our passports expire!!
As for the bridge clearance, I think it was around 6 foot but not sure what the state of the tide was.
P1030766.thumb.jpg.bdc0411f78d18e6dfcbb8eb9071cce9f.jpg
Crumbs I thought we were the only ones without passports.

Son and family in Ibiza for the week, don't envy them one bit. Arrived the wrong room given to them, hassle at airport, thank you, give me the Broads any day.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hylander said:

Crumbs I thought we were the only ones without passports.

We renewed our passports back in 2015, the only reason was that we saw a boat we fancied in France, bought a different boat and still not been out of the country since 1999, I'm starting to feel American but not fat enough....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hylander said:

Jean is there a car park near to the walk please.

Hi Monica,

According to the Burgh Castle website the details are as follows:

Parking: There is a free car and coach park in Butts Lane but please note that it is locked at 6 p.m. It is a 600-metre walk from the car park to the fort.

Access: It is possible to visit the site from dawn to dusk. There is an all-weather path around it which is accessible to those with limited mobility, including wheelchair users.

However I should point out perhaps that there are no facilities there. Now if alternatively you go to the Fisherman's Inn, if you fancy a drink or a meal out, then it looks as if you can get down by the water or sit watching the river and the boats. This is a little further along so you would be by the Waveney as opposed to the entrance to Breydon Water.

• Like 2

On 11/08/2019 at 17:52, SwanR said:

. The ladies in the tea room were very chatty and friendly, service was good, coffee and cake was very good and I would highly recommend supporting this business. I am sure that we will go back.

Is that the one with a tiny post office inside?

On 11/08/2019 at 17:52, SwanR said:

After sitting outside in the sunshine we moved across to one of the seats on the quay near Sandersons. Watched the swing bridge which was interesting. We thought it wasn't going to close at one point, and as it turned out this was the day before they had problems and closed the bridge to river traffic. An indication of what was to come ... maybe. 

Quite possibly.

It was closed to trains as well on the Wednesday - it didn't quite close properly.

I heard that a "rope came off"

I think the swing bridges are fairly old technology - in general the railways in the broads seem somewhat neglected.

• Like 1

We are also without passports, ours having expired 5 years or more ago. It was a bit awkward when we were trying to sell my Mam’s house and buy somewhere we could rent out as the newish legislation designed to prevent money laundering meant that we were constant being asked to present our passports. We did find a way around that, but it was a bit of a pain nevertheless.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, SwanR said:

Now if alternatively you go to the Fisherman's Inn, if you fancy a drink or a meal out, then it looks as if you can get down by the water or sit watching the river and the boats.

You can indeed walk along the river from the fishermans inn to burgh castle and along to breydon south bank all the way to GY, there is a playing field shown at the GY end so may be parking there too but won't compare to the view from the fishermans.

Let me know when you are likely to get some drone footage as I would love to be on breydon giving it some throttle when you do it, it's not often you get to see your own boat in action especially at speed, the best I have so far is 7 seconds taken from NYA's rib outside southwold.

burghcastle.thumb.jpg.8c7fa444210aa8c5e5805ec0a26cfb3f.jpgburghcastle2.thumb.jpg.c16541241437c1e366b6819767283038.jpg

• Like 2

Thank you for the map , very helpful.       Looks a doable (if that is a word) walk for me and mine.     Glad there is a good car park.   What is 600 metres in old money please?    I am still a feet and inches gal and still (although it does not go down well indoors) convert everything back to pounds and shillings and pence.

Thank you Jean for your help.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hylander said:

Thank you for the map , very helpful.       Looks a doable (if that is a word) walk for me and mine.     Glad there is a good car park.   What is 600 metres in old money please?    I am still a feet and inches gal and still (although it does not go down well indoors) convert everything back to pounds and shillings and pence.

Thank you Jean for your help.

.3728 of a mile or 1,968' 61/16" as you like feet and inches :default_icon_e_biggrin:

1 hour ago, Hylander said:

Looks a doable (if that is a word) walk for me and mine.     Glad there is a good car park. 

The Burgh Castle car park is easy to find and it’s not far to walk to the ruins. When you reach the castle, you walk out into it with a magnificent view across the rivers to Berney Arms. It really is worth doing. Take time to look at the nearby church too, St Peter and St Paul. Well worth a look. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1