Bet No One Will Get This One..

JawsOrca

9 hours ago, JawsOrca said:

No it is on the broads.. The Mudway doesn't look anywhere as pretty ;) 

These were taken by a member of the Viking Owners on the Medway.

I have to say that it does not look too shabby to me.

Screenshot_20190819-060436.thumb.png.e601ab8d21c9d5730b0b4333c453d064.png

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

These were taken by a member of the Viking Owners on the Medway.

I have to say that it does not look too shabby to me.

Screenshot_20190819-060436.thumb.png.e601ab8d21c9d5730b0b4333c453d064.png

Looks very nice, and when I lived in Kent, I often used to ride around the villages of the upper reaches, stopping off and sitting by the river. Anybody else know of any yards hiring on the Mudway?. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Looks very nice, and when I lived in Kent, I often used to ride around the villages of the upper reaches, stopping off and sitting by the river. Anybody else know of any yards hiring on the Mudway?. 

There's no yards hiring out long term cruisers (I guess it's because it's not a long river and there's very limited mooring spots) but there are day boats now from Maidstone (I think you are limited to a 4 mile stretch between the locks and for £100 seems steep!) Lot's of canoe places all over the river (and they do offer one way adventures which I'd say will take a couple of days) though and boaters do seem to go slow so worth a go :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, JawsOrca said:

There's no yards hiring out long term cruisers (I guess it's because it's not a long river and there's very limited mooring spots) but there are day boats now from Maidstone (I think you are limited to a 4 mile stretch between the locks and for £100 seems steep!) Lot's of canoe places all over the river (and they do offer one way adventures which I'd say will take a couple of days) though and boaters do seem to go slow so worth a go :) 

Hi Alan, 

as i posted before, trying to get Karen into a canoe would be like trying to get blood out of a stone. One of my colleagues at work is into Kayaking, and has a two man sit on. He`s offered me the chance to go on a paddle with him and some of his group, so will probably take him up on it. Sadly though, it`s down here and not the Broads.

37 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

Near Buxton Mill? But then you mention JM! His neck of the woods Ellingham Mill perhaps.

Well done Chris, you got it! (Dad's you don't count as you may have seen on my facebook!).. Well done to others who got close enough!

It is looking downstream from Ellingham Weir/lock which I suspect marks the end of the BA's control as this is the end of the Tidal Waveney. I guess it's only shallow here as they've had to open the weir a few times but on the way it's quite deep in places, but still hard to believe that once wherries could pass through.

A very relaxing couple of hours, we "put in" (seems to be the slang used) at Rowan craft at Geldestone and paddled up to here and back in about 4 hours, they do hire canoes from Rowans and I'd highly recommend the trip.  You can paddle all the way up to Bungay but its a tad strange at Eillingham (on the BA side) there doesn't seem to be a dedicated spot to portage unlike the opposite side which has a dedicated timber pontoon and I guess is EA operated... Shame as it was clearly putting people off as you could see people heading the otherway. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1