One To Give A Miss?

oldgregg

I know the Eaton Cottage well, proper pub, knowledgeable landlord and excellent beer. 

Problem is - local CAMRA branches get an allocation in the National Guide for so many pubs. The Norwich Branch covers not only Norwich but a large area of rural Norfolk too. Problem is that the area has just too many excellent pubs. I'm pretty familiar with most of the pubs in Norwich, certainly within the inner ring road, and a great many of them, with a few notable exceptions, are very worthy of inclusion. My colleagues at Norwich CAMRA have the un-enviable task of voting for a large number of excellent pubs and it's a sad fact that there simply isn't room for them all and sadly some have to fall by the wayside even though there is nothing wrong with them. It is a difficult one. I can remember when only a handful of pubs in Norwich sold real ale. How times have changed! 

• Thanks 1

I always take as I find where ever I go , one mans (or woman’s as have to pc) fancy isn’t everyone’s , many forum members praise one establishment that does nothing for me whereas my locales are also not everyone’s taste .

Life would be boring if we all wanted the same thing , And thank god (other religions accepted) it’s not .

• Like 4

It's been a long, long time since I had a 'local' pub. I think the Six Bells and The Eagle in Cambridge used to be my haunts outside of Norfolk. In Norfolk it's the Wayford Bridge Inn and the Greyhound. In Lincolnshire...I haven't been in a pub for years!

One of my locals isn't in the guide these days mainly as he won't do camra discount, his usual reply is " No mate, I don't discriminate against normal people" but his prices are cheap anyway, it's a proper pub with no grub and not a hint of political correctness to be seen, he has some pretty bad trip advisor reports, but it's usually busy with people that the the pee out of the landlord while drinking lots.

You can always tell when a group of camra members come in as they usually nurse a half for a hour or so and annoy the proper drinkers. (normal camra members are also available)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

One of my locals isn't in the guide these days mainly as he won't do camra discount, his usual reply is " No mate, I don't discriminate against normal people" but his prices are cheap anyway, it's a proper pub with no grub and not a hint of political correctness to be seen, he has some pretty bad trip advisor reports, but it's usually busy with people that the the pee out of the landlord while drinking lots.

You can always tell when a group of camra members come in as they usually nurse a half for a hour or so and annoy the proper drinkers. (normal camra members are also available)

Where is it? where is it? sounds like my kinda pub!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Where is it? where is it? sounds like my kinda pub!

Ye Olde Sun, st.neots, or as I usually call it Ye Olde Grump & farter.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g499501-d8484541-Reviews-Ye_Olde_Sun-St_Neots_Cambridgeshire_England.html

I'm thinking of getting the poor and terrible reports printed on a tee shirt for the landlord.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Timbo said:

haven't been in a pub for years!

:default_icon_e_surprised:

1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

Not this CAMRA member matey