Lockdown - Further Clarification

Poppy

43 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

That is an area where I totally agree with you and will always be an ongoing threat that we need to be vigilant on. 

However that has nothing to do with the BA reiterating government  policy which is only necessary because some people are behaving irresponsibly at the moment, the vast majority of the public have no problem understanding and complying with the requirements it is just the selfish few who make such measures necessary and those in the media etc trying to play politics with peoples lives who are undermining the amazing spirit and sacrifices being shown at the moment

Fred

Fred, you and I generally appear to be pretty much on the same wavelength in regard to Broads Politics. We may not agree word for word but the gist of our thoughts are generally not far apart so I don't relish disagreeing with you but this time around I must and I apologize for that.

In a nutshell I believe that in this instance you are being naive, especially for the wise old bloke that you obviously are. Vaughan has nailed it. The RSPB's report for Broadland is a noxious document, I've posted links to it in the past.

The BA has a history of pushing it's luck, getting away with it, and then building on that, witness the BNP saga. Perhaps the BA is just reiterating government policy, hats off to them if that is the case, but history suggests that it will eventually be used as a step forward in gaining further control, it's what control freaks do.  

In this instance the BA has exceeded its powers, that leaves me wondering what the next move will be.   

I can assure you that there are good folk out there who question what connections there are between the RSPB and the BA, or at least with people within the BA. I have sat in on meetings where both representatives from Natural England, or whatever its now called, and the RSPB have been present. We have to be concerned.

• Like 5

Its interesting to note that DEFRA (yes they who are in charge of the Landscape Review among other things) have written to Local Authorities asking them to re-open recycling centres as fly-tipping is getting out of hand in some areas & those with limited storage may be harbouring excess waste at their properties. The wood recycling industry are also concerned at the lack of feed-stock going into the system for burning in power stations

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Fred, you and I generally appear to be pretty much on the same wavelength in regard to Broads Politics. We may not agree word for word but the gist of our thoughts is generally not far apart so I don't relish disagreeing with you but this time around I must and I apologize for that.

In a nutshell I believe that in this instance you are being naive, especially for the wise old bloke that you obviously are. Vaughan has nailed it. The RSPB's report for Broadland is a noxious document, I've posted links to it in the past.

The BA has a history of pushing it's luck, getting away with it, and then building on that, witness the BNP saga. Perhaps the BA is just reiterating government policy, hats off to them if that is the case, but history suggests that it will eventually be used as a step forward in gaining further control, it's what control freaks do.  

In this instance the BA has exceeded its powers, that leaves me wondering what the next move will be.   

JM no need for an apology as mature adults we should be able to express our views without fear or favour.

There is no disagreement here I am just as wary as you and Vaughan are of that situation it is just that I am trying to keep politics out of what is unique and tragic times, I have no issue with a separate discussion on that topic but prefer not to link it to a thread that should be focusing peoples minds on what should be the right course of action for the wellbeing of all.

Fred

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Bytheriver said:

Its interesting to note that DEFRA (yes they who are in charge of the Landscape Review among other things) have written to Local Authorities asking them to re-open recycling centres as fly-tipping is getting out of hand in some areas & those with limited storage may be harbouring excess waste at their properties. The wood recycling industry are also concerned at the lack of feed-stock going into the system for burning in power stations

Will be interesting to see if they reopen the recycling centres and then stick big signs up saying the government says you should stay safe, stay at home. That would be a little bit like an authority demanding you pay over £500 for your annual toll, and by the way the government say you need to stay at home and don't come here. Talk about rubbing your nose in it and over stepping their remit. They should quietly get on with protecting the interests of navigation, conservation and promoting people's understanding and enjoyment of the special qualities of the area.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

but prefer not to link it to a thread that should be focusing peoples minds on what should be the right course of action for the wellbeing of all.

Then perhaps you would prefer to do that on the Coronavirus thread.

Lockdown is not, as I see it, the only issue arising out of the new guidelines.

Thank you Fred.

I whole hardheartedly agree that in an ideal world politics should have been the very last thing on our minds at this tragic time in our World's history.

Regretfully there are those who seek to take advantage of any situation, however inopportune that might be.

• Like 2

Just now, JennyMorgan said:

Thank you Fred.

I whole hardheartedly agree that in an ideal world politics should have been the very last thing on our minds at this tragic time in our World's history.

Regretfully there are those who seek to take advantage of any situation, however inopportune that might be.

In case anyone is in any doubt of what Peter and Vaughan and others are saying, take the time to read the following, and be worried.

“I have enjoyed the quieter skies with all the bird song and have spotted more deer and buzzards where I live on the outskirts of Norwich. Broadland birds are likely to be responding to the lack of boating traffic and boat wash and are going where they please.   

“Our secretive cranes of the fens and reedbeds are probably feeling more confident to venture out in the (now) quieter areas. Breeding birds and natterjack toads around the coast will be experience fewer human and dog disturbances.”

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Then perhaps you would prefer to do that on the Coronavirus thread.

Lockdown is not, as I see it, the only issue arising out of the new guidelines.

Lockdown may well not be the only issue and I fully agree with your concerns but Lockdown is the title of the thread.

Fred 

5 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Thank you Fred.

image.thumb.png.5057811a1396bb088f89afef6566c99b.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Thank you Fred.

Agreed and do not think we should close our eyes to any threat just the contrary, I just feel that those concerns should be expressed on a dedicated thread not one that basically concerns individuals behaviour at this time.

Fred

5 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

In case anyone is in any doubt of what Peter and Vaughan and others are saying, take the time to read the following, and be worried.

“I have enjoyed the quieter skies with all the bird song and have spotted more deer and buzzards where I live on the outskirts of Norwich. Broadland birds are likely to be responding to the lack of boating traffic and boat wash and are going where they please.   

“Our secretive cranes of the fens and reedbeds are probably feeling more confident to venture out in the (now) quieter areas. Breeding birds and natterjack toads around the coast will be experience fewer human and dog disturbances.”

And that was a quote from whom please?

Just now, vanessan said:

Before I answer that, let me give you another,

“Wildlife definitely seems to be becoming less secretive and I have seen much more recently. I encountered 4 roe deer on my daily walk and have noticed the return of migrant birds like chiff-chaffs, blackcap, sedge warblers and swallows.”

For those who say that we shouldn't be making political points in a time of crisis I say if you're not angry, you aren't paying attention !

Thank you Poppy. Regretfully there are folk who have yet to learn that lesson, no names but I suspect we all know who those might be! 

hands up who reads the  daily mirror  :default_coat:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, vanessan said:

I'm not sure that it matters but I suspect that it is at least based on fact. Certainly there have been media reports of cleaner water, less street pollution and so on, undoubtedly a plus in these tragic times. I know that I am seeing birds in my garden that I don't usually see and yes, I do welcome that. 

However, Is it just a coincidence that the BA are telling people to stay away at this time?  The Yare BA ranger does appear to be particularly active, RSPB Strumpshaw coincidentally being on his beat. Too good an opportunity to be missed?

17 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

And another,

The Authority’s wildlife experts have observed a surge in wildlife spotted out in the Broads. With it being so much quieter – fewer people, dogs and boats – usually shy species are venturing out into new territories.

Says it all really, and we know where the BA's loyalties lie.

• Like 2