Lockdown - Further Clarification

Poppy

9 minutes ago, marshman said:

I got told off for going to the pharmacy - not that I am in the at risk group fortunately! Just because I am over 70 so I should have sent my carer!

Whats one of those???

Someone on very low pay and without PPE.....

And a badge. (if they can afford it).

• Like 6

1 hour ago, marshman said:

I got told off for going to the pharmacy - not that I am in the at risk group fortunately! Just because I am over 70 so I should have sent my carer!

Whats one of those???

Perhaps it that 'bird' you pulled when you were at Minsmere? 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Vaughan - We need to be told what to do at the moment, but all we have are "guidelines".

I understand what you say, However:-

Are not the guidelines sufficient?  As a population, the vast majority who have more than one brain cell to call upon, can't we just simply follow guidelines?  Do we really need to all be told individually in bold type writing what we need to 'Do' ?

I

Unfortunately Griff the percentage of the population that don't seem to have more than one brain cell is staggering. The liquids ban in handluggage when flying started in 2006. Stansted Airport throw tons of the stuff into landfill every week. On top of those too thick to understand the rules you have to add the "it doesn't apply to me" brigade :(

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 19/04/2020 at 18:12, BroadsAuthority said:

Maxwellian is correct. We have delegated responsibility to do our jobs but will of course receive input from others where required. I can’t think of any local authorities who would require upper management or the CEO to approve everything that goes out in said authorities name.

There’s a lot of cross-team working at the Authority and if I need to provide someone with some information (e.g an update on a specific element of some dredging works), I will easily be able to get it from one of my colleagues in the ops team and relay it to whoever has asked.

On the other hand, if we had to get executive management sign off for all of the hundreds of proactive and reactive posts, tweets and public email responses that we make each week we wouldn’t get much done! John and our directors are very busy dealing with higher level issues and managing their own teams.

Things are of course different with particularly sensitive topics, e.g if we are putting a statement out on tolls, funding, governance (etc.) and this will have input and approval from management where required.

Hope that helps 

Tom

I think you find that if you were to do your shopping list, you would still get more likes and thanks than most.

I have noticed on this site that there are a few on here that give a lot of input and should get more likes than that they receive. I myself can't bring much to the table as I don't own my own boat and since I am the only Broads lover in my family, my holidays in Norfolk are few and far between.

But I do love the Broads and care for their well being and for generations to come.

For me though when they have "Authority" in their name, they think they can do nothing wrong. So as I have said before, people will like you for what you are and will kiss some, because you are here!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Over from t'other thread with regards to airlines / passengers

My thoughts is that the airline industry will be a lot smaller after we are through this pandemic, that is assuming we ever get through it fully.  We could be going back to the days before Freddy Laker came along and opened up air travel to the masses.

If that happens we will just have get used to holidays at home or crossing channel in ferries or the tunnel. Remember those huge hovercraft? they were great, went on those a few time mysen.

The UK public will still get abroad, but not in the numbers we used to prior to this pandemic and certainly not as quick or as far unless you are loaded and can afford what could be limited and very expensive air travel.

The upside? - Many millions of gallons of aircraft fuel not being consumed with the pollution that causes.

Personally there are a few places abroad still on my bucket list.  However If I can't afford the travel and it helps save pollution - then Ce Cera Cera

Griff

• Like 5

The whole problem with that scenario is that the reverse traffic also equally diminishes. This countries economy relies very heavily on the service and tourism sectors. In normal times we get a large amount of overseas tourists which helps to bolster the economy, not forgetting also the large amount of overseas students that come here to study. Most of these are from the wealthier families of the countries they come from.

• Like 2

but surely if less of our own population are flying anywhere, they will be holidaying at home,  thus offsetting the loss of tourist income from abroad, similarly those foreign tourists, will be visiting the tourist destinations in their own countries, you surely cant be inferring that more holidaymakers come to england than currently british holidaymakers going abroad?

• Like 1

Generally speaking the Brits go abroad because it's cheaper than staying at home to holiday and they normally go somewhere you can pretty much guarantee the sunshine. Tourists coming here don't come for the weather, but to sight see, marvel at our historic sites and for a whole host of things we often just take for granted and cannot be bothered with. That's not always the case, if I wanted cheap holidays with guaranteed weather I wouldn't have hired a boat and then purchased one, but for the masses it's a different story. It's not just about numbers of people, but tourist spend. They tend to spend more than we spend abroad generally. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, EastCoastIPA said:

not forgetting also the large amount of overseas students that come here to study. Most of these are from the wealthier families of the countries they come from.

Hopefully that means they will still come despite the increase in airfare.

On the wider situation regarding holiday travel it will be no bad thing for the planet if there are considerably less flights and sea cruises.

Certainly businesses must now be acknowledging that flying the Atlantic for a meeting is a simple waste of time and money, also that working from home is practical.... you don't have to breathe down an employees neck all day to get the job done.

If there is the will the world could be a better place, personally I'm not holding my breath on that one.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Over from t'other thread with regards to airlines / passengers

My thoughts is that the airline industry will be a lot smaller after we are through this pandemic, that is assuming we ever get through it fully.  We could be going back to the days before Freddy Laker came along and opened up air travel to the masses.

If that happens we will just have get used to holidays at home or crossing channel in ferries or the tunnel. Remember those huge hovercraft? they were great, went on those a few time mysen.

The UK public will still get abroad, but not in the numbers we used to prior to this pandemic and certainly not as quick or as far unless you are loaded and can afford what could be limited and very expensive air travel.

The upside? - Many millions of gallons of aircraft fuel not being consumed with the pollution that causes.

Personally there are a few places abroad still on my bucket list.  However If I can't afford the travel and it helps save pollution - then Ce Cera Cera

Griff

Hopefully the 3rd runway at Heathrow will be binned saving the little villages that were due to be flatened.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EastCoastIPA said:

Generally speaking the Brits go abroad because it's cheaper than staying at home to holiday and they normally go somewhere you can pretty much guarantee the sunshine.

That is the whole point.  Similar debate going on here.

Sure - you can get 2 - 3 weeks sunny & hot weather at the North Sea or Baltic coasts but those 2 - 3 weeks can be any time from early April to End September.  The rest is likely to be rain & wind.  One annual holiday in those conditions & you are looking at Mallorca or even Turkey for the following year.

I'm still hoping that our 11 days on Ibiza in September will work out.  Many local jobs on the Baleric islands depend on tourism.  There is a bit of agriculture but thats in the lower percentages of people (& mostly in what we call Winter).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Hopefully the 3rd runway at Heathrow will be binned saving the little villages that were due to be flatened.

I predict (hope I'm wrong) that Heathrow operator will say that as at least 2 major airlines are withdrawing from Gatwick that Heathrow will need greater capacity... it's how they operate.

2 minutes ago, Ray said:

I predict (hope I'm wrong) that Heathrow operator will say that as at least 2 major airlines are withdrawing from Gatwick that Heathrow will need greater capacity... it's how they operate.

The arguement around the difficulties in expanding Gatwick to take another runway is no longer valid though and if the footfall at Heathrow drops then so do the needs.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, EastCoastIPA said:

Generally speaking the Brits go abroad because it's cheaper than staying at home to holiday and they normally go somewhere you can pretty much guarantee the sunshine. Tourists coming here don't come for the weather, but to sight see, marvel at our historic sites and for a whole host of things we often just take for granted and cannot be bothered with. That's not always the case, if I wanted cheap holidays with guaranteed weather I wouldn't have hired a boat and then purchased one, but for the masses it's a different story. It's not just about numbers of people, but tourist spend. They tend to spend more than we spend abroad generally. 

Generally speaking? 

This is purely opinion based on not much. 

It's not cheaper to go to many places at all. Just the cost per person flights to many destinations would buy you a Broads boating holiday. Your opening statement will be true for some, but "generally speaking"? You seem to ignore the possibility that other civilisations have historic sights to marvel at too.  

• Like 6

2 hours ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

You seem to ignore the possibility that other civilisations have historic sights to marvel at too

things such as the pyramids, the Parthenon, the Colosseum, and the leaning tower of Pisa you mean, plus many others.

29 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Well yeah, but we got Canvey Island.

I had quite forgotten the San-Jean-Cap-Ferrat of the Thames Estuary. Now you have gone and reminded me! I'll have nightmares tonight.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

It also seems to me that those who questioned the "erosion of freedoms" now seem to be questioning why those erosions are so delayed and behind other countries eroding them.  

I have noticed this and said as much mysen before now

Griff

Not sure who you are quoting there Griff, but I for one recognise the need for the regulations.

What I do object to is the officiousness of the Council officials  who are exceeding the range of the regulations in applying them - in some cases quite possibly illegally .

There are validated reports of police insisting that disabled scooter users go home instead of food-shopping, of miles of tape used to 'close' public park benches, of open spaces where cars would park safely while giving access to permitted footpaths being blocked off by boulders, hay bales and crush barriers......

Some examples from across the country may be found here   http://manifestoclub.info/photo-album-the-coronavirus-park-police/

And there are millions of examples that aren't published of the Police and Councils not overstretching their powers but instead going about their tasks with tact and discretion.

Always easier to highlight a few examples of error of judgment.

• Like 5

It has to be remembered that all members of authority must at all times in the attempts to preserve life, practice discretion,  restraint, and diplomacy. It is better that a few unimportant people snuff it, rather than a person in authority is found to be over zealous.

2 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

It has to be remembered that all members of authority must at all times in the attempts to preserve life, practice discretion,  restraint, and diplomacy. It is better that a few unimportant people snuff it, rather than a person in authority is found to be over zealous.

It must also be recognised that most members of authority aren't too bright.  :default_gbxhmm:

image.png.a8e29abea9999303aa14898d45cd9d12.png

• Haha 1