Lockdown - Further Clarification

Poppy

I think theres a fine line there.Bit about paint is a bit annoying. I was hoping to decorate one of our bedrooms. Was going to order if possible on line.Marina managed to  get some bedding plants yesterday. Plants are not easy to get now.

To beat this it is tough, I accept that, I cant help feel that the line between acceptable and control is close.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

I think theres a fine line there.Bit about paint is a bit annoying. I was hoping to decorate one of our bedrooms. Was going to order if possible on line.Marina managed to  get some bedding plants yesterday. Plants are not easy to get now.

To beat this it is tough, I accept that, I cant help feel that the line between acceptable and control is close.

The lock down has never impacted online shopping and still doesn't.

I consider the clarification that you can drive to exercise as long as the walk is longer is open to abuse!  I am very lucky that I am surrounded by a very comprehensive network of footpaths through the fields and I can happily go out for several hours and although some parts are quite busy - the further I go the quieter it gets.

The other day my walk got extended and my husband says I was out for 4 hours - I think it was closer to 3 but I am not going to argue. 

So with the new clarification I could get in my car, drive for an hour to one of my favourite places, walk for 2-3 hours as exercise (and record the butterflies in my case) and drive 1 hour home.  However, I shan't but others will abuse this.................. In my case I have no need nor do a lot other people!

On Easter Monday before this clarification, my daughter who lives on Barry Island was taking her 2 year old son out for her daily exercise and was stopped by the police who wanted to know if she lived locally.  As it was she lived just around the corner but the next people they asked couldn't answer that - they had driven there to exercise.

Liz

34 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

True but often slots are only available weeks in advance. Marina just placed orders.Slot available in a month time.

Many companies are dealing with orders online, certainly Amazon is. You might find B&Q, Wickes or Homebase will deliver. 

2 minutes ago, vanessan said:

Many companies are dealing with orders online, certainly Amazon is. You might find B&Q, Wickes or Homebase will deliver. 

I attempted to go on the B&Q web site at the week end - simply to browse  for prices -n materials for a job I was planning when this lot is over.

This is what appeared - FOR A ******G  WEB SITE !

image.thumb.png.47a405259ce205f370fc4c276f1f3bd1.png

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Poppy said:

I attempted to go on the B&Q web site at the week end - simply to browse  for prices -n materials for a job I was planning when this lot is over.

Hi Poppy. Yeah, I came across that atr another "on-line" store, I can't remember if it was Wickes or Halfords. It was a 50min queue which I didn't hang around in. (my cyber feet were already too tired to queue after some other on-line shopping.

I can only assume that with everybody doing home maintenance, the relevant websites have been crashing under the strain. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9 minutes ago, Bytheriver said:

Wilco fully open paint paper &  do some plants - plenty of paracetamol & coffee to justify the trip

Ian is confined to barracks so can’t travel. Do they deliver?

Noi, the coffee would be cold!

Sorry about that! :-)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, w-album said:

I consider the clarification that you can drive to exercise as long as the walk is longer is open to abuse!  I am very lucky that I am surrounded by a very comprehensive network of footpaths through the fields and I can happily go out for several hours and although some parts are quite busy - the further I go the quieter it gets.

The other day my walk got extended and my husband says I was out for 4 hours - I think it was closer to 3 but I am not going to argue. 

So with the new clarification I could get in my car, drive for an hour to one of my favourite places, walk for 2-3 hours as exercise (and record the butterflies in my case) and drive 1 hour home.  However, I shan't but others will abuse this..............

Liz

Clear enough . Yes, you could 'drive for an hour to one of my favourite places, walk for 2-3 hours'.  How is that an abuse ?

Ian is confined to barracks so can’t travel. Do they deliver?

Yes they do deliver - wilko.com  

Not next day any more - its up to 7 days right now - maybe a friend could pick up a click & collect with suitable identification which may be quicker

3 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

How is that an abuse ?

Easy - It goes against the instruction  'Stay at Home'  also increases the risk of RTA's thereby using up already stretched resources.  Rocket science it is not

Griff

Absolutely. Getting in the car for any reason other than to buy essentials isn't an essential journey.

As Griff says, rocket science it is not!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Poppy said:

There is a hell of a lot of infrastructure, equipment, support and resource that goes in to just providing a web site. A web site such as B&Q will take tens of millions of pounds to run and is still a finite resource built to handle a limited number of people. Sized according to how the business NORMALLY runs. In these extraordinary times when more people are shopping on line they have a choice of letting the web site grind to a halt and no one being able to shop, or limiting the number of people on the site at any one time.

It is worth noting that when you join the queue you can leave that page and go back to it later and you will keep your place in the queue. You have 10 minutes from when your place becomes available to enter the website or you have to queue again. So just go and do something else for a while and then come back. When you do get on the site it will be as responsive as you would normally find it. Morrisons are also using the same system as are a number of other companies.

B&Q physical stores are closed to the public but they are doing deliveries and a contact less click and collect service, but it can take up to three days for your click and collect items to be available for you to collect.

As with anything else browsing at the quieter times will get you onto the site immediately, or with a shorter queue. I shopped at 1am Thursday morning and got straight onto the site. Although still waiting for my email to say it's ready to be collected. I am expecting this to be tomorrow, but today would be a bonus. 

• Like 2

But they have just confirmed that I CAN get in my car and go a short distance to exercise! 

So thats good,  I can now drive to the boat ( 5 miles) to polish it - if you don't think thats exercise you should try it!!! Its certainly harder work than actually walking!

• Like 1

Slightly off topic but watched a US oil man on Bloomberg TV( notice they are allowed to ask questions now at government press conferences maybe RT will even get in eventually)  last evening he was angry that they were having to leave oil in the ground as they were running out of storage hence profits down ! No wonder Trump wants early lifting of lock-down 

10 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

I can only assume that with everybody doing home maintenance, the relevant websites have been crashing under the strain. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The queue it system is designed to prevent exactly that problem. The website does not crash and continues to function normally. The queue system is a third party service that sits between you and the website you are trying to get to, thereby protecting the site from excess traffic and customers.

I'd imagine their website is probably fine (autoscaling makes load issues a thing of the past unless it's built by numpties) but I wouldn't be surprised if the stock control system in the background and / or the middle tier were never designed for the transactional volume they're currently seeing.