Lockdown - Further Clarification

Poppy

22 minutes ago, Hylander said:

Dont read anything at the moment - not allowed to go and get the paper from the papershop.

In Essex, other councils run similar schemes with different providers, I've joined the library again after many years absence. Mainly because you then get access to Borrowbox which is an online digital service where you can checkout for 21 days eBooks free of charge. Effectively the same as borrowing physical books from the library. Because they have to buy the eBook and only have a limited number they may not be available when you want them, but you can also reserve them for when they are electronically returned. Essex libraries also provide access free of charge to thousands of monthly magazines and daily newspapers via PressReader. Even better you can download them to your PC or tablet for offline reading.

A quick look at the Suffolk Libraries page here suggests they also use Pressreader and Borrowbox as well as Kanopy which I haven't used before that lets you stream classic cinema and documentaries.

Take a look you'll soon be hooked.

Edited to add:

Off course they are not free of charge because we have all paid through our council tax, but since you have already paid, you might as well make use of the service.

• Like 1

Those comments from the BA about Broadland wildlife are just rubbish IMHO!! I don't think that its any different to what it usually is - what has happened is it it is very much quieter so we are noticing these birds and animals more! They are always there but normally they just get lost in the general hubbub! ( and by the way, Pete, the cuckoos still left, should be anytime now!!!)

My garden birds, for example, are doing the exact opposite now , and disappearing! Why? Because they are busy nesting and until the eggs are hatched, they will be keeping a low profile - but they do this every year not because things have changed!

So what are they going to do when they reopen rivers? Don't worry they will still be there but alluding to that remark, perhaps now the BA have now made a decision as to when, and under what circumstances, they will "open" the tidal waters that they shut? Ooops sorry, as I believe Tom said, they didn't actually "shut" them they have just  discouraged people from visiting them!! (Actually I cannot now find that post of his, but I am sure I recall it! )

The whole world's Press is talking about options to reopen and there is a lot around about this "traffic light" system which seems to be the topic generally under discussion  However is it unreasonable to discuss where, under that sort of system, the BA could consider they fall? Or are they just going to drop the " Broads" bit and leave it as The Authority" ?

Don't think either that its just here who are struggling with this context - the National Parks group as a whole are facing just this sort of growing criticism in their individual areas as well!  Signs all over the place are saying they are closed - but like some around here, this doesn't seem to be in their remit to do that!

i suspect the BA will slavishly follow the path of the others in the NP family but why cannot they make their own policy? After all I am not the only one to call this area "unique" so why not set out their own projections and guidelines for their "unique" area???

• Like 8

The very first issue  of The Sun was on September 15th, 1964, the reason  I Know this is because they gave  away silver  christening mugs to all babies whose parents could prove (doctor's letter of confirmation)  they were born on that day.  My neighbour read about this and applied on my behalf as that was the day my daughter was born. It was a beautiful mug - solid silver with a sun engraved on the side.

Carole

• Like 2

From the mouth of someone directly involved with helping the campaign, anyone reading the content on the above page and thinking there is a hidden agenda relating to eroding the rights of boating is reading far too much into it.

The idea is to encourage people to notice the wildlife around them, whilst they can't do other things as a result of the lockdown, so that they appreciate it more, get personal benefits from enjoying it and hopefully care more about the environment/the outdoors going forwards.

Yes, we haven't 'closed' the rivers as people still live on the water and maintenance vessels/emergency services are still accessing it. Furthermore, with over 100 miles of waterways it would be impossible to properly close off and prevent access to the water, nor would it be appropriate. 

Our plea for people to not access the rivers at this moment in time is quite clear and straightforward, and if we were continuing to support people to access the water at this moment in time for leisure purposes it would fly in the face of every Public Health, Government and Police message out there. We have also had many messages from concerned local people, many of whom are vulnerable or elderly, who live in Broadland villages and are worried about the impact of people still travelling to/around the area and spreading the disease.

If you are reported to or caught by the local police 'having a jolly' down the river or moored up on your boat enjoying a drink in the sunshine, you are quite obviously and unquestionably not following the Government instructions to stay at home and don't travel unnecessarily.

The instructions are clear, our stance is clear and as much as we all want things to return to normal there isn't much we can do until the lockdown is eased. 

Finally, at the risk of repeating the same comments I don't think there is anything else productive for us to add to this thread, so if there's any further queries or concerns please direct them through our website and someone will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks and hope you all have a pleasant afternoon,

Tom

• Like 4
  • Thanks 12

44 minutes ago, marshman said:

Those comments from the BA about Broadland wildlife are just rubbish IMHO!!

They forgot to mention the reappearance of the Fen Tiger in Cambridge and new sightings of the Loch Ness monster, obviously thanks to lockdown, they are a bit further away but would surely add weight to their views. :213_tiger::243_snake:  :default_eusa_dance:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Hylander said:

Dont read anything at the moment - not allowed to go and get the paper from the papershop.

I am sure you aren't missing much.....

Captain Bob. Heck, haven't heard that phrase in a long time. I have a copy for the official Robert Maxwell joke book somewhere. I seem to recall it was written buy Nick Yermonie.... 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NeilB said:

Oldham’s or Sun Printers? 

Thomson Withy Grove, Manchester. We did the Daily Mirror, Daily Telegraph, Sunday Mirror, News of the World and Sporting Chronicle.

I was a compositor and could work on any of them, sometimes on three different papers in one night.

Interesting work as long as you didn't take seriously anything any of them published . . . except the night's overtime in 1976 that I did as a proof reader and picked a 800-1 tricast purely on fastest course and distance time. It was the Dante stakes and if I remember correctly it was: winner Trasi's Son 50-1, second Gunner B, can't remember the price and also can't remember the name of the third horse.

• Like 1

i do sometimes read the daily mirror but never buy one, well,   you dont have to really

if you go into a public loo there is usually one laid on the floor, especially if the toilet roll has run out  :default_gbxhmm:

10 minutes ago, webntweb said:

Thomson Withy Grove, Manchester. We did the Daily Mirror, Daily Telegraph, Sunday Mirror, News of the World and Sporting Chronicle.

I was a compositor and could work on any of them, sometimes on three different papers in one night.

Interesting work as long as you didn't take seriously anything any of them published . . . except the night's overtime in 1976 that I did as a proof reader and picked a 800-1 tricast purely on fastest course and distance time. It was the Dante stakes and if I remember correctly it was: winner Trasi's Son 50-1, second Gunner B, can't remember the price and also can't remember the name of the third horse.

My father worked in the engineering team at Holborn for many years and took redundancy before Captain Bob stole the pensions he was there at the time when there was a foundry and also during the automation changes. I still have parts of the packing cases of some of the "new" press equipment from that print works. I have a decent-sized garden door made from it and going back many (many) years, my dad built a shed with other parts of the crates.  My uncle worked at Greys Inn Road too. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gancanny said:

i do sometimes read the daily mirror but never buy one, well,   you dont have to really

if you go into a public loo there is usually one laid on the floor, especially if the toilet roll has run out  :default_gbxhmm:

Now the Daily Fail - I won't even click on an internet link fot that thing !

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, webntweb said:

My dad was at Oldham's for 26 years before being given the offer of redundancy or moving to Sun Printers.  As he was nearly 59 he took redundancy and luckily his pension shortly before it all crashed.  Maxwell was not a popular man in the Watford area !!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BroadsAuthority said:

From the mouth of someone directly involved with helping the campaign, anyone reading the content on the above page and thinking there is a hidden agenda relating to eroding the rights of boating is reading far too much into it.

Tom. rose tinted glasses perhaps. A number of us on this forum have got to know the individuals as well as the organisation itself over a number of years, hence our misgivings, suspicions and distrust. I served on the navigation committee for four years, proud as punch I was, to start with. My enthusiasm didn't last, maybe your's won't either.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Tom, I have lifted the following comment from a posting made by a fellow cynic, it's very apt!

"The BA executive rarely do anything without an ulterior motive and this is why so many of us are cynical about this current announcement."

Scratch an idealist, and underneath you will find a cynic.  Cynisism is invariably born out of experience.

Some here have more experience than others...

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Tom, I have lifted the following comment from a posting made by a fellow cynic, it's very apt!

"The BA executive rarely do anything without an ulterior motive and this is why so many of us are cynical about this current announcement."

One final comment, the 'executive' has had absolutely no involvement with the planning or production of this article or the Nature in Lockdown social media campaign.

Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1