Newbie Looking For Advice...

FarmerTerryuk

1 hour ago, MaceSwinger said:

Solano is a Silverline 40 which, according to their website, will pass under all bridges except Potter Heigham. The caveat always being that it depends on tides and weather. I'm not entirely sure of the air draft on that boat, but Beccles Old bridge is the one you need to get under for Geldeston, and that's listed as 6'6" at high water, but you can get up to 2'6" variation. I'm pretty sure your boat will easily clear that at low tide (with the canopy and screens down as you should with all bridges).

That's good news. Thanks. We plan that for Tuesday 8th Sept, and (if my tide projections are correct) low tide at Beccles that day is around 11:00, which is perfect. But. We will be stuck that side of the bridge until about midday on the 9th, and I hadn't thought about that.......

6 hours ago, FarmerTerryuk said:

Also, most of my planning revolves round which pubs I want to stay at, but spending Friday night at Bramerton sounds like a possibility.

Have a look at The Ferry House, Surlingham.  In my opinion, the best pub on the Southern rivers.  Bookable moorings, a large beer garden for finer weather, great food and beer and a friendly welcome.  It’s ideally placed for a last night stopover, with water and electric hook up too, if needed.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mouldy said:

Have a look at The Ferry House, Surlingham.  In my opinion, the best pub on the Southern rivers.  Bookable moorings, a large beer garden for finer weather, great food and beer and a friendly welcome.  It’s ideally placed for a last night stopover, with water and electric hook up too, if needed.  

I know the Ferry House, I've spent the last night there several times, but my plan this time was to try the pub at Bramerton. Any reports from there?

40 minutes ago, FarmerTerryuk said:

I know the Ferry House, I've spent the last night there several times, but my plan this time was to try the pub at Bramerton. Any reports from there?

Haven’t been personally, but from what I’ve heard it’s a little too ‘gastro pub’ for me.  Each to their own, though.  Give a go and see what it’s like.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FarmerTerryuk said:

That's good news. Thanks. We plan that for Tuesday 8th Sept, and (if my tide projections are correct) low tide at Beccles that day is around 11:00, which is perfect. But. We will be stuck that side of the bridge until about midday on the 9th, and I hadn't thought about that.......

You don't have to be stuck top side of the bridge for 24 hours. Silver Solano needs about 7 foot 3 I think, so you should have a decent time window either side of low water. If low water is 11am, you may be able to pass through at 9 am, have time for a stop at Geldeston and pass back through lunchtime the same day. 

Silver Solano on the River Yare at Langley last week. In my opinion the class is the best fitted out 4 berth cruiser for hire on the Broads. Robert Dye's craftsmanship is second to none.

Silver Solano. River Yare. Norfolk.

Fred

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, FarmerTerryuk said:

Definitely a couple of notches above your normal Broads offerings and more akin to a good city restaurant. Only ate there twice and not in the last few years but when we did the food was outstanding. As long as it has not altered it would make a good place to visit for that special occasion meal.

Fred

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Broads01 said:

You don't have to be stuck top side of the bridge for 24 hours. Silver Solano needs about 7 foot 3 I think, so you should have a decent time window either side of low water. If low water is 11am, you may be able to pass through at 9 am, have time for a stop at Geldeston and pass back through lunchtime the same day. 

Good news that I don't have to worry too much about the bridge. Is there a pilot by the way?

Had a minor rethink. We planned to have a day in Beccles anyway, so go to Geldeston on day one and return. Go under the bridge next day, see Beccles, and depart the next day. Perfect.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, trambo said:

Definitely a couple of notches above your normal Broads offerings and more akin to a good city restaurant. Only ate there twice and not in the last few years but when we did the food was outstanding. As long as it has not altered it would make a good place to visit for that special occasion meal.

Fred

Good! That's another decision made. That's what I like about the south broads, the selection of pubs / restaurants is rather more varied than I've found in  the north.

5 hours ago, trambo said:

Silver Solano on the River Yare at Langley last week. In my opinion the class is the best fitted out 4 berth cruiser for hire on the Broads. Robert Dye's craftsmanship is second to none.

Silver Solano. River Yare. Norfolk.

Fred

I've hired her sister ship, Silver Sirocco, three or four times and it is just perfect. That high seat for the passenger(s) makes it a joy. Don't spread it around though - the price will go up. :6_smile:

• Like 1

I’m seeing quite a few people asking for advice on plans for trips over the next few weeks both here and on various Facebook groups. 

Two things:

If you check out the holiday tales section then you can see what kinds of routes and moorings other people have done. 

All the hireboats I’ve had recommend running the engine for at least 3 hours a day to keep the batteries charged. I’m not sure how many people do this and at this time of year you may well not be using that much power given that we have longer daylight hours and hopefully warmer weather to not need the heating. But it is something that we mostly do. So if you don’t cruise far you may find yourself feeling that you need to run the engine while moored up ... and that won’t make you popular with your neighbours!!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SwanR said:

All the hireboats I’ve had recommend running the engine for at least 3 hours a day to keep the batteries charged. I’m not sure how many people do this and at this time of year you may well not be using that much power given that we have longer daylight hours and hopefully warmer weather to not need the heating. But it is something that we mostly do. So if you don’t cruise far you may find yourself feeling that you need to run the engine while moored up ... and that won’t make you popular with your neighbours!!

I noticed on one of Richardson’s instructional videos that, apart from cruising 3/4 hours per day, they recommend running the engine for 45 minutes each evening to top up the batteries. They do however say do it before 8pm. 

1 minute ago, vanessan said:

I noticed on one of Richardson’s instructional videos that, apart from cruising 3/4 hours per day, they recommend running the engine for 45 minutes each evening to top up the batteries. They do however say do it before 8pm. 

I don't remember ever reading that. We just try hard to make sure we do sufficient cruising unless there's a reason why not.

• Like 1

In the fullness of time and especially because of the circumstances of the present day it might be considered appropriate to revisit our current practice of running engines whilst at moorings.

I suspect that many people who have respiratory issues and those who might be just experiencing such issues might just welcome a consideration from others.

Andrew

• Like 2

Agreed.

I've never had a flat battery in my life. The cynic in me suggests boatyards labour this to avoid call outs and perhaps cover for less than up to scratch battery and charging systems. 

Running engines on moorings is one of my pet hates and as Andrew says even less appropriate now. 

Mind you another advantage of winter cruising is you don't have to suffer it! :default_biggrin:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Those of us who spend as much time as we can on our boats, and those experienced hirers, know how irritating a running engine can be. Trouble is, a newbie will read/watch Richardson’s instructions and take it as gospel that the engine should be run every evening. (These instructional videos were on Facebook by the way.) There is no easy answer to this. 

1 hour ago, Wussername said:

it might be considered appropriate to revisit our current practice of running engines whilst at moorings.

I’m not quite sure who you mean when you say ‘our current practice’ Andrew, I can’t see the boatyards changing their instructions very easily. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FarmerTerryuk said:

Good news that I don't have to worry too much about the bridge. Is there a pilot by the way?

Had a minor rethink. We planned to have a day in Beccles anyway, so go to Geldeston on day one and return. Go under the bridge next day, see Beccles, and depart the next day. Perfect.

No there's no pilot but it's far less scary than Wroxham or Potter Heigham.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, vanessan said:

take it as gospel that the engine should be run every evening

Well indeed and hererby lies the problem. I think the key is to remember you are running from batteries and not a limitless supply as at home. If you take a frugal approach you shouldn't have a problem. But I agree, its easy to say with the benefit of some experience. 

And of course the best way to conserve energy is to adjourn to the pub   :default_biggrin:  :default_beerchug:

The other engine running scenario is also hot water. I'm sure that there is a theory that everyone on board must shower before setting off. The experts may correct me but I suspect the water will heat up much faster under way/load. Mrs N and I shower (separately) :default_norty: whilst under way taking turns on the helm. 

• Like 6

Well indeed and hererby lies the problem. I think the key is to remember you are running from batteries and not a limitless supply as at home. If you take a frugal approach you shouldn't have a problem. But I agree, its easy to say with the benefit of some experience. 
And of course the best way to conserve energy is to adjourn to the pub   :default_biggrin:  :default_beerchug:
The other engine running scenario is also hot water. I'm sure that there is a theory that everyone on board must shower before setting off. The experts may correct me but I suspect the water will heat up much faster under way/load. Mrs N and I shower (separately) :default_norty: whilst under way taking turns on the helm. 
I suspect it's more of an issue for "all electric" boats - electric cooker, water heater etc?

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Helian said:

I suspect it's more of an issue for "all electric" boats

Barnes did (or still do) those I believe - no gas and electric cooker etc. I think you have to run a generator to boil the kettle. I sure someone posted about being moored next to one and making a real racket when the generator kicked in. Times like that I'd rather be moored next to Helen in her yacht!! 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

The other engine running scenario is also hot water.

A few years back I was talking to a guy from a private boat moored nearby when he said ‘must go, I’ve got to start the engine so the wife can wash up with hot water’. My flabber has never been so ghasted! 🤨

10 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

. . . The cynic in me suggests boatyards labour this to avoid call outs and perhaps cover for less than up to scratch battery and charging systems. . . . . . . 

That’s more than likely.  The alternative is to hire craft with 240v hook-up and moor where electric is available.  I know that when we are out overnight on Norfolk Lady during the colder weather, we try to do that for a couple of reasons - to run an electric fan heater as an alternative to the heating on the boat and for the immersion heater for hot water.