Winter Water Points/shore Power

YnysMon

I’m sure there was some chat last year about sourcing water during the winter months, but I haven’t yet re-found it. (I think?) I recall someone advising last year that the Reedham water points had the hoses taken away but you could still use them if you have the right hose point connectors. Is that right? Which water points are still available in winter, and which are turned off completely?

I also noticed last winter that the shore power posts in Norwich Yacht Station were unavailable. Completely boxed off in metal boxes. What’s the situation elsewhere? I assume the same is true in Yarmouth. What about Reedham though?

Are there any other locations where the normal water/shore power facilities are cut off during the winter months?

I’d love a list of water points on the northern rivers too for winter use.

We used the electric posts at Horning, Ranworth and at Potter last year. Hopefully the new ones at Acle will be up and running soon 

• Like 1

Also, didn’t Mr MM mention that the Barton Turf Water point is turned off during winter? That’s one we find handy, especially if we’ve managed to get under Weyford Bridge to Dilham and need a top up on our way back down the Ant. 
I feel a list coming on. Hints for both north and south will be most welcome. 

Can't comment on electric as we never plug in. 

Reedham do indeed remove the hoses but the taps are still on. We have a very helpful small hose which Paul at Swancraft kindly made up for us. Push fit on the taps and job's a good un. 

There is plenty of water available in winter, will try to list a few later 

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

We have a whole box of water tap adapters on MS. One of our discoveries during on our last trip whilst trying to do an inventory of stuff on the boat. Should be okay for water at Reedham then! 

Presumably you have a length of hose too Helen? Only need a short length as plenty of room in winter. Think all taps at Reedham standard size but one, if memory serves is small, garden hose type.

I'll stand to be corrected of course but I think the only BA faciility in winter is Ranworth. 

The main source of water in winter is boatyards and marinas. Head still hurting, I will post all the places we've used successfully in winter. It really isn't a problem. The old boatyard mantra about filling everyday isn't strictly necessay, with care most boats will last 2 or 3 days. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, YnysMon said:

I can’t think what sailor would go into a pub leaving their sails up. Staged photo opp?

If a mooring is head to wind then it's not uncommon to see Broads boats brailing their sails by lifting the boom with their topping lift. Bit more breezy then they might ease the peak. The wherries don't have booms but they just detach the mainsheet.  It was perhaps more common when sails were made of cotton and needed drying and airing.

• Thanks 1