Old Broads Photographs

JennyMorgan

• 4 months later...

Absolutely stunning PW - love how they get "dressed" up for the the pictures, or at least some of them!!! What on earth would a fisherman want with a telescope????

Seen some of them before but not all . Love that haystack of marsh "hay" - thats something hardly ever seen, as its usually all about reeds, rushes and sedge. Don't forget that vast quantities of marsh hay went down to London for the horses but not often seen like that!!

In Emerson's books, the photos often tiny!! 

24 minutes ago, marshman said:

What on earth would a fisherman want with a telescope????

Being serious this time. I have such a telescope that belonged to a long departed forbear who was a fisherman. Many houses along the coast had a room overlooking the sea and fishermen ashore kept watch on approaching fishing craft. The fishermen, as they approached the beach or the harbour signaled ashore as to what they had to land and subsequently sell as well as their ETA. That way the lumpers would be ready to unload and the sellers could set their prices based on supply and demand. Fishermen would also keep an eye on their mates that were at sea.  

On 19/10/2020 at 00:20, YnysMon said:

Thanks very much Peter. I so appreciate seeing these old photos, and tales of the old Broads. 
I was wondering where this location is.

image.thumb.jpeg.003324f846c29c0a6c4565078d147ab9.jpeg

Looks like Hill Common Hickling, if Sutton mill was the tallest I'd feel sure Hickling' was the second (or equal to other second's), seem to think it was one storey less than Sutton.